Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I'm planning to build a replica Nils Lofgren 61 strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by macthestrat, Feb 2, 2013.

1. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

Hi All,

For years now I wanted to build my own strat, just like Nils Lofgren's 1961 natural finish strat. But never had the confidence to get going on it. Up until last year all I did was collect wood stock and parts. I have followed Preeb's 1961 build and this has inspired me to give it a go.

What I know so far is that the guitar is a stock 1961 start with some mods:

The body was stripped by his brother and he made the Oak pickguard.
    It has Bill Lawrence blade pick ups
    The jack plate is not standard, as it has a toggle switch, similar to David Gilmour's start. I'm not sure if it does the same thing.

Has anyone got any more info or photo's that would help with my build?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

3. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

Many thanks for the info. Nils is a big user of volume swirl, so that's it. Mystery solved.

Thanks.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I met that dude once, friend of a friend. He lived in my area and Grin was the big Bethesda, Maryland band back in the 70s. So cool when he hooked up with Springsteen and E Street.

6. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Cool project. Nils' S/T record is a rare treasure. Lots of Nils stories here in the Balto/DC area. One of the guys from Grin runs a pretty cool used record store in Catonsville MD, near Baltimore. I can't remember what it's called, think its on Frederick ave. Real nice guy, good shop.

7. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

Hi Stoogesurfer,
    I also met him once when he was doing his first acoustic tour in the UK. I saw him at Ronnie Scott's, very small gig in Birmingham. My wife and I were some of the first in. He came up to us at the bar and we had a good chat. unfortunately it wasn't about his strat. I've now seen him many times since the early eighties.

I started cleaning my workshop/garage up today, so I can make a start on my templates.

8. Stratified

Stratified Tele-Meister

9. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

Hi Stratified,

That is just what I'm after. I'm hoping someone has one gathering dust in a box somewhere.

One sold on Ebay just a few days ago, but until I started thie thread I didn't know what I was looking for.

10. jholcomb

jholcomb Tele-Meister

Neck pickup is now a Barden.

11. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

Looking at the price of Barden's, I will have to stick with Bill Lawrence blades for now. ANd put the Barden on the wish list.

12. jholcomb

jholcomb Tele-Meister

I've seen Nils play that guitar a LOT. The last time was in November in Louisville, and I was REALLY close to him. You can tell he really bonds with that instrument, and it has always sounded great.

13. Joe Harris

Joe Harris Tele-Meister

The volume knob is topped with an old MXR rubber knob cover.... helps him with controlling swells

14. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Tele-Afflicted

While you're at it, build a replica trampoline as well. :grin:

15. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I've been a fan since I saw the Neil Young live in Berlin 1982 video. Great player with a cool hot rodded guitar. For anyone with the same project in mind you can still get a Stratoblaster but the plate is elliptical:
    http://alembic.stores.yahoo.net/blaster.html

16. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

Sounds like a great idea.
    Are you planning on using a blend pot like Nils had installed to add some thickness on the bridge pickup?
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

17. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

I know that the jack plate is available, but in the new shape. Fr this to be a replica build I need the same item. But the good news is I picked one up on eBay just after Xmas. So we are good to go.

18. cdowens64

cdowens64 TDPRI Member

Please post pictures when you're finished. I have been considering doing the same project for sometime.

19. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

I now have a vintage Stratoblaster, so my jigsaw pieces are almost complete. Only thing missing is the old MXR rubber cover for the volume control.

20. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Did you get a set of L45s? Bill's current twin blades are the best he's ever made.

21. macthestrat

macthestrat TDPRI Member

Yes I did. I got bridge and middle in cream and the neck in black to match Nils strat. However someone posted on the tread that the neck should be a joe barden. So I might buy one soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.