Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I'm not buying any pedals this year...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by artdecade, Jan 9, 2017.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Could use a bit more alliteration... but it's an ok name :)

ArtDecade's Division of Diddly Dirtbox Debiting the Duration of 2017 ?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I think we need a Sticky Thread for: ArtDecade's Division of Diddly Dirtbox Debiting the Duration of 2017

waparker4 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  3. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    I think I will find myself firmly in the "no new pedals" court myself. I ended 2016 with the purchase both a Rat AND a Crowther Hot Cake. Before that I had gone 14 months without buying a pedal. Going 12 months will be easy.

My first gear purchase of the new year was that if a Taylor 214ce - this will likely be my last major gear purchase of the year.

There are a couple of things I am interested in and will pursue if the chance presents itself:

1.) Another offset Fender at a good price - vintage spec.
    2.) A really nice delay pedal, like a Strymon or Eventide or something like that - but it has to be at a firesale or incorporate some sort of trade deal.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I've decided to fund any guitar related purchase this year buy selling stuff that I don't use anymore. The balance sheet should be ZERO or less on Dec 31st.... and I'm going to keep a balance sheet just to make sure.

p.s. This doesn't mean I can't go 'overdrawn' during the year.... just ZERO or less at the end.

*hmmm*

artdecade likes this.
  6. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic

May 21, 2014
    Franklin, VT
    Dang, I can't commit to this! I am going to be picking up a family heirloom this month, a mint 1961 6G3 (Brown Face Deluxe). I just can't live without reverb, so there is definitely a reverb pedal in my future. Other than that, I think I'm good...for now :)

bob mason, RetroTeleRod and artdecade like this.
  7. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    If i do buy a pedal I'l buy a zoom g3 or g5 and be done with it.

8. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    You can still be true as long as you buy a Fender Reverb Unit or similar. Not a pedal - and they sound a million, trillion times better. Your new Brownface deserves it.

NOTE: Million, Trillion is a very precise measurement brought to you by the powers of Science.

RetroTeleRod, songtalk and Mrbob135 like this.
  9. Bristlehound

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    That's a Quadrillion then. (I'm a scientist..... and a pedant!:) )

10. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    That's a bold statement ;)

songtalk likes this.
  11. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Not to be confused with a pendant. ;)

12. Bristlehound

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I'll just leave that hanging there! :)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

The reality is, as with any New Year's Resolution, it's not like the attempt at something noble is worse than not trying at all. Let's say I did cave in and go buy 2 or 3 pedals in April. Well, from there on out, it just becomes business as usual, and if I didn't buy anything in January, February, or March, that is an improvement for the year, however ever sad of one it might be.

I'm not making fun of people who buy 10 versions of the same thing, or even trying to tell anyone they should also do this. My decision to try and give it up for a year isn't even driven by finances (though that is ABSOLUTELY a very real cause for concern). It's just driven by the fact that when you go binge-ing and constantly lusting after new stuff, it becomes a never ending valley.

Like someone said above - the worst part of it is how easy it is to forget how great some of the pedals I already own are. I have pedals that are AWESOME that maybe have, what, 2 hours of lifetime usage on them. For no other reason than that my overall time to play is pretty limited, and then any "cool" overdrive in my box has to compete with, what, 30 (40? 50?) other pedals that do a same-ish thing. Or are newer and shinier.

It was probably 30 minutes after I posted the pledge yesterday that I remembered, "Oh yeah, I was planning on buying 2 or 3 of those TC Electronic $50 Guitar Center exclusive pedals last year, and then they botched the launch and they still haven't come out. That's how the addiction cycle works - there was a product out there I wasn't even actively thinking about (because it isn't in any stores in the U.S. yet), but just knew I had to have. So I guess I'm pledging now not to buy one of those, at least not until January 1, 2018 (gulp).

The XTOMP is the perfect big bang to go out on - there's a ton of content in there, and it can be used as a direct box with amp modeling, so I can try to incorporate it with the stuff I already have. But mostly, I just need to get past "the wall" and start playing the instrument again in new and interesting ways.

I totally deserve to be laughed at, but I'm not offended by that at all! The hardest part is that I love the online communities of music-oriented people just chatting about cool stuff. It will be very hard to keep doing that (which I enjoy), but not taking the additional step of buying a percentage of the stuff I read on places like here.

Cheers and best wishes to all TDPRI'ers this new year!

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Take heart, @StormJH1 - you can still participate. Just sharing your vast knowledge and experience, and superior analysis to help others avoid your mistakes or benefit from your wisdom about how it's all been done before and the newest do-hickey won't change things for the better.

Ask me how I know . . .:twisted::lol:

StormJH1 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, wrap that one around you like a warm blanket.... we will be here,... waiting.

Seriously, I made a resolution to lose weight and spend less time on here.... FAIL... so, wishing you luck! You can do it!

Ira7 and artdecade like this.
  16. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I'm screwed ..... my 7 yr old Zendrive stopped making noise ...... the lights are still on, yet no tone elves are home!
    Will the new lovepedal ZDs sound as good ? ..... It was an ever present on the pedalboard!
    SD1 (MHP) and BD2ph trying to keep it together on Saturday night!

Must try not to bring it in the crowd talk .... Ladies and Gentlemen, can we have moments silence for a departed band member .......

bob mason and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. artdecade

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
  18. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Goop!

19. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2011
    smyrna tn
    Are you familiar with the term "gate way drug?"

bob mason and artdecade like this.
  20. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Yeah I actually prefer my neunaber on plate setting to any amp reverb I've used. It sounds ridiculously good.

4pickupguy likes this.
  21. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    word

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.