Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm kinda of fed up with my electric guitars - has this happened to you too?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marcelo R, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    This is not a condition that will pass for me. Something happened to all of my formerly held likes, aspirations, and long held beliefs when my oldest son passed away. Words, counselling, or desire cannot take away a loss like that, and you would have to be a better man than I am or can be to not be affected by your offspring's passing. I can function pretty well, even have a good time, but there is an emptiness that cannot be filled, and you really can't play music with a hole in you like that.

Marcelo R and Obsessed like this.

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I've been doing acoustic for some time. six.twelve and resonator.

Electric is lame solo.

Marcelo R and P Thought like this.

3. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I understand this, though I can't share it. Can't share, can't help, can't counsel or advise. Maybe some day you will pick up a guitar again and play something and it will bring something different. I wish that for you.

4. DrBlast

DrBlast TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Washington
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

If it helps at all, loss is the reason I play music and guitar in particular. Every time my life has taken a turn for the worse, guitar and music has been there for me. When everything seems pointless the only thing that makes sense to me is to try to make nice sounds.

Marcelo R, aerhed and Toto'sDad like this.

5. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    2861DCF0-75D7-4BB5-A206-9A0354A66FBB.jpeg B589F8CD-5E6A-4C12-9127-6B43DA1C67BF.jpeg Not fed up, just started in an acoustic phase like I have not done in decades. The tone is so refreshing and pure, no dials, no stomp boxes, no amps. And.....the thing is soooooo light weight. Truly a nice change for now.

Just picked this all solid wood used Takamine Pro, hand made in Japan. That Cedar top sounds so good.

Marcelo R and P Thought like this.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    No, I don't see any Hiwatts, Dumble or Trainwreck clones..

Any single ended amps?

You're still missing out ;)

Marcelo R and nojazzhere like this.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    WAIT!.....you picked up a piano?....all by yourself?
    Quite a few years ago, after playing mostly originals with bands, I had an epiphany....my original songs (which many people had praised, and I say that with all modesty) just didn't stand up, in my mind, to the many, many good songs of other songwriters. The way I expressed it was that, "The best song I ever wrote was nowhere as good as the worst song ever written by John and Paul, or Mick and Keith, or Rod Argent, or Neil young or Steve Stills or Jim Messina, or.....".you get the idea. I basically stopped writing inferior songs and started learning these GREAT ones by others. It reinvigorated my interest in music and inspired my personal playing.
    Now I'm not saying this applies to anyone else, but I would urge everyone to critically examine their own songwriting....it takes a lot of guts and harsh self-evaluation, but try it.....

8. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Some of my favorite music is by punk rockers when they reach their middle-aged country phase.

I didn't know it was possible to write a worse song than Neil Young's worst. I say that as a devoted Neil Young fan. But "Landing on Water"? "The Shocking Pinks"? There's no way your best is worse than that.

Southpole and nojazzhere like this.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Maybe.....maybe not. ;)

King Creole likes this.

10. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I think electric guitars by themselves always seem to be a bit dull, as if they're missing something. Great in a band situation but acoustics are better solo instruments to me.

I avoid disenchantment by playing different styles or with different people. I'm primarily a blues player but lately I've been working with a little rockabilly outfit as a sideline. Never really gave the playing style much thought before but it's fun learning.

Marcelo R likes this.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Growing up in a third world country, it's either I could have an electric guitar or an acoustic at one time. So, I learned playing the guitar on an electric. I rarely played an acoustic until I came to America! I love playing the electric. My guitars are in the basement room on the way to the garage. Everyday, on my way to work and when I get back, I always take a peek and whisper - "I can't wait for my next break and play with you again..." I'm older now with kids, so I have other responsibilities now. I don't gig out anymore. But on my breaks, I make and record as much as I can!

Since I mentioned, things that I do on my work breaks (I'm a teacher)... www.soundclick.com/littlebadboy and

Thanks!

12. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I stopped playing for 8 years when life got on top of me. Sold all my stuff. Never thought I would return to playing but when I was single with some time on my hands it all came back.

So i bought loads of gear. But now I have large mortgage and my partner has stage 3 cancer. Suddenly my need for more gear has evaporated. I haven’t spent a cent on new gear of any sort this year. Doubt that will change anytime soon. These days buying more gear just feels wasteful and selfish. So much more to worry about.

But continuing to play in a band is a real positive for me even though we are rank amateurs.

So OP, if you haven’t done so already, join a band or get an inspiring teacher.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My prayers and positive thoughts go out to you, Southpole.

Southpole likes this.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Ideas:

Go out beyond your comfort zone. I joined an acoustic group playing mostly Celtic music with very odd timings and it really challenged me, but in a good way.

Take on a different instrument. I play some bass, bongo drums and Native American flute. It's all good and I've learned a ton about song dynamics by playing bass. It has really helped me in my songwriting too.

Have an acoustic guitar next to your chair in the living room. You just can't ignore it for too long.

Marcelo R and Southpole like this.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I know about your suffering TD, and can't really imagine the emptiness that you are experiencing. I'm just glad that you stay engaged on this forum and I think I speak for all of us, that we hope that you can return to the enjoyment of playing guitar at some point in your future.

Frodebro, P Thought and Toto'sDad like this.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Thank you Obsessed for the kind words, I really appreciate them. The board has been a grate source of comfort to me over the years. It is an amazing resource for many of us.

Obsessed likes this.

17. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I never really got tired but I'd say variety is important. I love acoustic songs and try to write them, I play mandolin and a few years ago wanted to be a jazzer so I got a Gibson 175 with flatwounds and found that the entire way I play it is so different that it opened up new doors-thumb only, learning jazz chords etc. There is a big difference between how I play each instrument that it keeps me interested and then after being away awhile to hit some killer riff on an overdriven tele bridge pickup just makes me smile. You could also tune a guitar to open G or something and write some new music

Toto's dad I don't mean to sound stupid or insensitive and I certainly do not know what you are dealing with but music, artistic expression and lyric writing have helped , even in some small way, many many people in dealing with life's tragedy. Eric Clapton wrote tears in heaven for a reason-even if no one ever heard it but him, it would have helped him.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Marcelo R, Southpole and Obsessed like this.

18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    TD

I have lost many people in my day, parents when I was young, a brother not many years later and dear friends; but I can’t imagine what it must be like to lose a child.

I’m thinking of you and hope you find a way to enjoy what you do still have; easier said than done.

Take care

Conrad

Obsessed likes this.

19. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    Change the strings.

:)

P Thought likes this.

20. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    I just take a break from guitar for a little bit and/or pick up another instrument. I currently know Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Drums, a little piano, and a little banjo.

Marcelo R likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.