Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm kinda of fed up with my electric guitars - has this happened to you too?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marcelo R, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    I own about ten electric guitars - Les Paul, Tele, Firebird, Rick, Gretsch... I still like to play - and in fact I'm having weekly rehearsals with a band. But after thirty-something years of guitar playing, I'm feeling like I'm a little fed up. Not enough to quit playing, sure, but...

As a result, I'm now investigating the world of classical guitar. Some years ago, I started studying the Carulli method, and I have resumed it from some weeks. Also, I'm about buying a digital piano and start to practice again.

Have you had a similar feeling some time? How did you dealt with it?

Best regards.

2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I am there now, actually.

My way of coping was to try something different, so lately, I have picked up piano.

It hasn't made me fall in love with guitar again, but it has rekindled my love for music.

BorderRadio, nojazzhere and Marcelo R like this.

3. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Yes; about 20 years ago I got fed up with electric guitar, sold everything I had (except one strat and one tele) and went heavily into acoustic music. This happens. The trick is to make sure you don't get rid of all your current gear because chances are you will be wishing you hadn't in a couple of years.

Andy B, Southpole, drlucky and 2 others like this.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Oh man, you guys have me worried.. I'll keep these ideas in my back pocket to keep things fresh over the years but at this point I'm still in love with electric guitar so I hope I don't get bored!

I'm not much good so at least I have work to do over the next decade or two :)

Marcelo R likes this.

5. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    I know what you're talking about. After Thanksgiving I am going to inventory the stuff overflowing from my music room and donate a LOT of gear (guitars, a bass, amps, a keyboard, etc.) to the local high school. I feel like I've gotten too wrapped up in the gear and need to simplify and get back to basics.

ricardo1912, Gene O., drlucky and 2 others like this.

6. kingvox

kingvox TDPRI Member

Mar 23, 2017
    USA
    Practicing new things that challenge you and make you feel like a beginner again is the key.

For about 3 years all I played was 12 string acoustic. That was after 2 years of playing nothing but electric, when I first started playing. It was all Leo Kottke stuff and wrote a number of originals in the same style during that time. And then I got into a little tapping, Michael Hedges style. That was refreshing in the same way that learning Leo Kottke stuff was after basically only playing Hendrix.

Now I'm back to electric for the time being.

For me, working on guitars is as much fun as playing them. I do it professionally but also as a hobby. Putting together my own Strat and keeping it a work in progress has rekindled my interest in electric guitar. The other night I spent time practicing winding pickups for it, and also installed an Artec BCU on-board control for it.

I could talk for hours about the work I've done on my Strat. Same with my acoustic 12 string. Which I haven't installed a K&K pickup in yet, but want to ;) And am excited about that. I will probably bring it to band practice once I do that, which will be a first for me.

Having my guitars on my workbench keeps me interested in playing them. Whether it's installing new hardware or new electronics, or trying something completely new and crazy out, it keeps me going. Doing something new to the guitar gets me interested in playing it again. Tinkering around with new effects pedals doesn't hurt either.

I want to set up a better home recording system. Layering tracks allows to make complete compositions on your own. Then you can mix acoustic, electric, different effects, piano, or whatever else you want. That's where the real fun comes in. Guitar is great, but sometimes to rekindle your interest in guitar you gotta play different instruments.

Now if I could only convince my girlfriend of that concept, I would really be in business.

I think you're spot on with learning new styles of guitar. I was getting into a little classical myself. I had never really tried it before even after 14 years of playing, and it was awesome to feel like I was really learning again. Doing something that was new, and challenging, and made me feel like I was 14 again and just picking up guitar for the first time.

jimash, jhundt and Marcelo R like this.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Funny, I'm considering trading my only acoustic 6-string for yet another electric. I love electric guitar...

8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Sounds like you need a new inspiring amp.

drlucky, oldgofaster and Marcelo R like this.

9. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    OP- do you primarily play other musicians tunes or do you create your own? I ask because most guitarists I hear this from play covers instead of making their own music.

Marcelo R likes this.

10. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    "Follow your genius closely enough, and it will not fail to show you a fresh prospect every hour.” — Henry David Thoreau, “Sounds,” Walden

It's good to let yourself change and grow as a musician. I'm playing mostly fiddle and resonator guitar these days and it's been great. I'm selling off some of my electric gear, but not the best stuff. I did a recording session on steel guitar and fiddle last January, and listening back to my tracks I realized how rusty I was on the fiddle. I started taking lessons with a wild cellist who has me transcribing Louis Armstrong solos for violin as well as going back and correcting and improving on basic technique. It's really great and inspiring. I played a gig the other night and burned it up on fiddle in a way I never could before.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Actually, though I own several still, I don't find playing, or listening to the guitar all that entertaining anymore. It's really odd because once it was the number one thing in my life. Something if I was forced to be away from, I couldn't get enough of when I came back to it. I thought I was just losing interest in electric guitars, but I find I probably wouldn't miss playing the guitar if I never picked one up again. I will say as far as listening to guitar, I find electric guitars far more obnoxious to listen to when they are being played poorly than acoustics, and not just because of the volume, electric guitars just sound so bad played poorly whether they're being played at volume or turned down. Electric guitars should be illegal in the hands of some. Not necessarily shot dead on sight illegal, but certainly confiscated and arrested. Stairway to heaven men you know who your are young and old alike.

Marcelo R, nojazzhere and drlucky like this.

12. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay
    Oh, my... I also got all the amps that I need already: Vox (3), Fender, Orange, Kustom, even an old Farfisa... Do you think that this is not enough? :eek: :lol: :lol:

Best regards.

13. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2014
    Uruguay

Actually, I do both. I play covers with the band - which I love - and I also create my own music and record it at my home studio.

Best regards.

Darkness likes this.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Take a break.
    Put em’ out of sight for awhile.
    Take a trip, and don’t bring a guitar.
    I do it every so often, though I don’t think I’ve gone longer than three days without playing, in the last 50 years.
    I can’t afford to really take my own advice, but everybody needs a break, even from good things.
    Perhaps try it?

Marcelo R and drlucky like this.

15. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    This is very much how I feel these days.

I too have had a 'crisis of faith' recently. My whole life and love has been guitars, since I was 11 years old in 1965. Whatever else happened, there were always guitars. Owning, buying, working on them... and amps! Amps were just as important, and in recent years even more important.

I love to have a workbench full of amps and guitars. I love to work on them. But these days I rarely play for more than a few minutes. And I never listen to 'guitar music' at all. I no longer WANT guitars, or amps - though I would never turn down some old instrument or amp that needed love and attention.

I have been giving stuff away, though I find it difficult to part with my guitars. They are like a constant presence in my life. It's not so much about owning, or even playing. They are just there, like old friends.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I do this from time to time. At one point, I didn't touch an electric guitar for nearly five years. I did strictly acoustic gigs.

For the last year, 99% of my gigs were on bass. I only recently started really playing guitar again. In the last couple weeks.

Sometimes I need a break. Doesn't mean I quit playing, just means I do it differently for a while. How long? As long as it takes.

Marcelo R and brookdalebill like this.

17. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    I stopped playing guitar for 20 years. Then the passion came back and I improved dramatically. Then I got bored again and picked up the mandolin and violin. Then I got bored again and worked on my piano skills. I got really good. Then I got bored again. I taught myself amp repair and electronics until once again, I got bored. Selling it all for a Harley Davidson. I just hope I'm not out in the middle of the desert somewhere when bike riding gets boring. Life is a series of adventures shaped around our available income.

Marcelo R and Jakedog like this.

18. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    I like pizza -- but wouldn't want to eat it every day.

Same with guitars. I'll go through periods where I'm more interested in acoustic, or even just singing, than I am with electric guitar. But as 0le Fuzzy said, "Wheel goes 'round, donut?"

Eventually I come back to electric guitar, and usually the reason for my disinterest was me simply being lazy.

Marcelo R and RLee77 like this.

19. schnulli

schnulli Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2010
    Germany
    Happens every so often, in which case I get out the acoustic and practice/play completely different stuff like Delta blues fingerpicking (Johnson, Broonzy etc.) and such. In fact, I have a whole folder with instructional videos for that purpose.

:)

Marcelo R likes this.

20. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    Nothing wrong with it! Check out the band City and Colour. It’s fairly singer songwriter type music. But it came about because the guy was singing and playing electric guitar in a hardcore post-punk band (Alexisonfire) and got tired of and fed up so to say playing the heavier harder music so much, so he took some time off of that and put out 2 really great primarily acoustic albums. Some of my favorite music truly. Change keeps up the creative flow, which keeps your interest and passion alive.

Marcelo R and jimash like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.