Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm Finally Done Buying Gear. Seriously, I Really Am

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by colchar, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Wrong-Note Rod and colchar like this.

2. Undone

Undone TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Just run.......

colchar likes this.

3. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    This thread reminds me of my silly post back in December. I proclaimed I wouldn't buy any new gear this year. Good thing no one fact-checked me on it :twisted:

Straydogger and colchar like this.

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    ...and no Wah?

That's a serious piece of amp you have there - the 2203 is everything it should be.

Sounds like you're all set for entertaining the neighbours / scaring bears...

colchar likes this.

5. Churchjack

Churchjack TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Texas
    A wah pedal. You’re gonna want one with that Vox. And reverb. Oh yeah. Don’t stop now, nobody likes a quitter...

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Congrats!!!

It takes A LOT of discipline to be able to stop cold turkey and not give into temptation.

About 3 yrs. ago I was up to about 80+ guitars and bases, and since then, I've gotten down to 50 guitars and basses.

I think I'm Almooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost there too.

I think I might give it maybe a year or 2 and see if I can just stop altogether.

Wait, maybe 3-4 years, and I think I can be totally done with buying gear.

No, uugh, maybe, uugh, I might need maybe 5+ yrs., and that should do it.

Well, maybe not.

Buying gear is TOO much fun.

Forget it.

colchar likes this.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

After being in this forum for a few years now, I am under the impression that you need every config of pickups on a tele, and a hollow body gretsch, a strat, a few more tube amps.

colchar and Tele1966 like this.

8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    You need an amp that can keep up with the Marshall and an ABY box and the needed cables to hook them together. A delay pedal would be nice addition as well

colchar likes this.

9. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    This is true. Guitars are tools, different tools for different jobs. I bought two used Strats last week. Like I said, different tools for different jobs.

I don't believe for one nanosecond that GAS is curable. But obviously a person needs to be fiscally responsible.

Never buy gear on credit cards. And if you do, be very very careful.

colchar likes this.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    AC15c1 is not portable

Mine stays in the 2nd floor bedroom

colchar likes this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I am very close to done too. No specific GAS presently, but still open to a P-90 guitar, if I find one that I like. Done with my pedal board, and probably done with amps too. Back to gigging could change things, but I'm good there unless I need an acoustic amp. I'm in recording mode, so perhaps one more microphone, but I have pretty much everything covered. I would like to horse around with a dirt pedal on my bass amp, but so far, I'm good there too. There are a few guitars that I would love to have, but they are kinda pie in the sky desires than needs and a hack like me can't justify anyway.

I enjoy reading about others having NGD, NAD, and NPD. It is much more fun and happy feeling to read about people excited about their gear than reading the news.

colchar and BorderRadio like this.

12. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Nope, not my thing.

Yep, early 1984 (the old vertical input version) and 100 watts of paint peeling power! I briefly had a Marshall 4x12 for it but that was ridiculous for a basement player such as myself. The 2x12 does me nicely and those Creambacks are great speakers.

13. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

The AC15 has built in reverb and tremelo so I'm good!

14. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Now if only I could do the same thing with smoking..............

Texsunburst59 likes this.

15. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I used to have one so am under no illusions about the weight.

16. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ
    marimba is on my list

17. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Sounds like a NYE resolution

18. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2008
    SoCal
    I have tried to stop buying gear. I have done really well this past 2 years. I hardly bought any gear. I had a deal go sour a couple of years ago and just decided I didn't want to buy or liquidate stuff until I got the taste out of my mouth (still bitter 2 years later), but the one thing I have come to terms with is that I always need to have that next piece of gear on my radar or some sort of project going on (cabinet, pedal board build, etc.). Life would suck if you didn't have a little something to look forward to as far as adding to the stable. I think we are all kids a little bit in that sense.

19. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    I’ll see it when I believe it. ;-)

colchar likes this.

20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

I expected a story about gear you've been using for at least 10 years, but one of your two amps is "on it's way". And it's not even a princeton reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.