Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm Finally Done Buying Gear. Seriously, I Really Am

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by colchar, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol:

colchar likes this.

2. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

And I'm ok with that.

3. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Heh. I've said that more times than I can count. My friends all laugh at me :(

Still, I'm off buying pedals -- have been for about 7 yrs now. Not buying amps, and stopped doing so about 5 yrs ago. Not buying anymore Tele's at the moment, pretty satisfied with my BP Sig and 50's Road Worn. Haven't looked at a Strat for over 10yrs now. I even finally got my steel guitar jones satisfied with an early 60's Fender Champion and a late 60's D-8 Stringmaster.

No, my current problem is archtop guitars. And they're not cheap.

colchar likes this.

4. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    All sounds like that 'Fake news' that we keep hearing so much about .......

colchar likes this.

5. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2015
    Troy, AL

you need a delay or two, reverb, compressor, and possibly a klon type.

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I think that you're much smarter than I am. Seriously. Go forward and be happy!

whoanelly15 and colchar like this.

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    It’s awesome! This picture shows my gear a few years ago. I have a different pedalboard(s) now (I would bring one of two: a large board for arty atmospherics and pummeling fuzz or a minimalist board with just volume, OD and delay.)
    Also, back then I used a double gig bag, but I never played the second guitar.
    Now it’d be just a single guitar on my back, amp on the folding hand truck you can just see at the back, with the pedalboard and anvil box of gig stuff — cables, strings, tools, etc — lashed on top with bungee-cords.
    One hand for the hand truck and a free hand for the club door...unless the drummer shoves some of his gear into your free hand! IMG_1993.JPG

colchar likes this.

8. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany

9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    No you're not.

colchar likes this.

10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    GAS in 3...... 2...... 1......

:lol:

colchar likes this.

11. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Good for you! The tide has been going out on my sea of gear for quite some time as well, although there have been a couple pedals that came in against the current. But guitars, amps and PA gear have all gone down. I managed to resist the internet-instigated urge for a Boss Katana recently, so I don't think the tide will ever turn again for me.

colchar and Minimalist518 like this.

12. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2014
    East Midlands, UK
    A strange coincidence! I deleted all my desktop shortcuts to eBay, BayCrazy, LastminuteAuction and Reverb three days ago.
    Realised at last that I neither have the space nor the money for these fretboard-related fripperies... :(

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    colchar and Undone like this.

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Best of luck with that mysterious concept!

colchar and kafka like this.

14. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    You know that a Martin D-18 and a Gibson J45 are entirely different instruments? And they kinda look alike. Now as for resonators there are single cone, tri-cone, square neck...

colchar likes this.

15. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I was going to say, "what's a home with 2 Strats?", but then I realized I have 4.

colchar likes this.

16. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Dude, you need a complete home studio to capture all those awesome sounds. $20k minimal in gear and software.

colchar likes this.

17. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I know we all joke about it but it can be done. I haven't bought an amp in 5 years. It had been 6 years since I bought a guitar...bought one about a year ago, realized it added nothing, kept it for a month and re-sold it.

I'm down to six amps and working my way to two. I have somebody coming to look at one this weekend. I'll keep the four guitars I have. I probably have a dozen pedals and all but three are in a bin and I'm not sure what most of the rest are anymore. I'd sell them if I thought it was worth the trouble.

It can be done. It occurred to me a few years ago that I have what I like and preferred to spend my time doing what I've always loved...playing in a band. That's why I started playing guitar in the first place, not to accumulate gear. I just forgot for a few decades.

colchar and Minimalist518 like this.

18. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.
    I'm agree! I'n done too! No more pedals, amps, guit............wait...what? Is that a 1968 Twin Reverb with factory JBL d-120's? uh oh.........................never mind.....:(

damn-it-not-again-quick-meme-com-1634017.png

colchar likes this.

19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I give him a month at most.

If he stays on this forum, 2 weeks.

Straydogger and colchar like this.

20. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I think I am almost there with you..I WANT to be done with gear...Argh I just bought an ABY pedal today!

I do truly believe I am one great hollow-body away from having a "full collection" of guitars, and anything more will be homemade or just for laughs. But, well, I've been down this road before.

Straydogger, colchar and Obsessed like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.