Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm committing heresy...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob M, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I'm taking a new amp rig to Wednesday's practice. Typically I'll use a '66 Ampeg Jet, but this week I'm using a DV Mark Micro 50 with a cab that has a Rajin Cajun in it. It sounds great in the living room. Works real well with my Tele and Jazzmaster. I hope my tube amps understand...

DVMark.JPG

2. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Fleetwood, NC
    That is a great rig! No heresy as far as I'm concerned. Those Micro 50s are sweet.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't consider tube technology "orthodoxy." Nothing heretical about that rig. Enjoy! Hope it sounds as good in your practice space as it does in your living room.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Just sell your tube amps. You obviously have lost your hearing and also can no longer carry the weight of a real amp!!!! eeeeehaw..... ;)
    Enjoy what pleases you.

LuthRavin, Bob M and 24 track like this.
  5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's too small and convenient to sound good :)
    JK

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Lets hope the tube amp gods dont burn you at the stake :lol:

bftfender and Fiesta Red like this.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I got my DV mark a year ago. It’s the only amp I’ve used since. All the tubers got sold. Except one that was a gift. But it hasn’t been plugged in in a year.

Congrats! You’ve picked a good rig.

codamedia likes this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Your tube amps understand... it's the tube amp lovers that don't ;)

Jakedog and GuitarPix like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    They sound great to me, too.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I still love my tube amps, but I used my daughter's Fender Rumble 150 for a jam recently and was very pleased.

If it just sounded good for harmonica...

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I prefer the high price and inconvenience of tube amps.

12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    ........your penance?.......you should be flogged.

13. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2016
    Duarte, CA
    My cousin told me about using a SS pedal amp for a gig that had stairs. He said it was good enough. I'll take his word for it since he has played guitar for John Waite.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    Your tube amps will be jealous like that one girl who let you kiss her and then you promptly forgot about as soon as the hottest chick in school let you get to 2nd base

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Exactly. If it’s heavy enough to cause back injury, you can be assured it’s going to have great tone. Common sense!

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I practiced with the DV Mark last night. Kind of mixed results. Enough good to stick with it, but it needs some tweaking. Not totally unexpected. Our practice area is mostly exposed concrete and I always have a hard time getting new stuff to sound decent. It is certainly loud enough!

Jakedog likes this.
  17. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2018
    USA
    If you’re playing basically clean or using the onboard drive circuit you’ll be fine with the DV50. I had one for about a week or two and sold it because all my dirt pedals sounded terrible with it. Everything had a harsh hiss on top of the dirt sound. Solid clean tone, but it doesn’t do dirt pedals too well. Unfortunately, I love dirt pedals so it had to go.

YMMV of course.

18. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2013
    Quebec
    A few years ago, before I refurbished my old SF Super Reverb (needed new tube sockets and tubes used to drop out of it), I used to take an Orange Micro Terror to gigs as a backup. I had the MicroTerror velcroed into the back of the SR for convenience.

A couple of times, the SR broke down, so I'd plug the MicroTerror into the SR speakers to continue the gig.

More than once, people at the gig complimented me on "how good my vintage Super Reverb sounded" when they were really hearing the MicroTerror through the SR speakers.

Jakedog and Bob M like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.