Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Im building an acoustic "cuatro"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sergiomajluf, Oct 7, 2017.

1. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Time to work on the spruce top. Mark centers and attach router circular (protractor?) rig:
    IMG_1843.JPG

Not so bad right? This is about 1,8mm deep.
    IMG_1835.JPG

This are thin laminated wood strips. Will go around the soundhole, but first I had to bend them to a curve shape using a.... bender!
    IMG_1836.JPG

Glue, pins and two minutes later:
    IMG_1844.JPG

I don’t have pics of the process of laminating, leveling and jointing wood. I had the idea to use a book matched piece, but didn’t go through with that. Here are the rough cut arcs.
    IMG_1845.JPG

The end result before glueing to the top. The large piece is sapele, and the short arc is Alerce (don’t know the English name for this)
    IMG_1842.JPG

It all looks a bit rough around the edges (pun intended), but as with many of the steps, this is my first time with an acoustic instrument, which I’m enjoying a lot!. (Also most of the fuzzy parts in the upper section will be covered with a wooden pickguard later)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    guitarbuilder likes this.

2. sergiomajluf

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Today was about some clean up, marking and cutting fret slots, shaping fretboard trapeze, and start detailing the headstock.

IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG

CoyotesGator, richa and zorgzorg2 like this.

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I'm really enjoying watching this develop. Fantastic work so far. Can't wait to see it all unfold.

sergiomajluf likes this.

4. sergiomajluf

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    More headstock cleaning up, also chamfering the sides:
    IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG

Soundboard reinforcement, also chamfered where no one will see but I will know it’s there anyway
    IMG_1940.JPG

Soundhole:
    IMG_1942.JPG

The underside of the top is also reinforced, with quarters sawn Oregon Pine
    IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG

And this is just a beauty shot, after working on the sides for the body. Next week I’ll probably upload the process of curving the sides and maybe glueing them to the top
    IMG_1948.JPG

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Beautiful!

Que lindo!

sergiomajluf likes this.

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yo tengo problemas cambiando un pickup.

Construir algo como eso...imposible.

7. sergiomajluf

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Or so I thought. It’s actually not difficult :)

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh yeah, right.

9. sergiomajluf

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Today’s update includes:

Chiseling and planing the undertop ribs. They play a great role in the instrument’s resonance. You want as thin as possible top and also for it to be stretched. This top is curved in two directos. This makes the vibration of strings, through the bridge and into the top more efficient. So these ribs have to be thin yet strong and very well glued. Mine were not hahaha
    IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2019.JPG
    IMG_2020.JPG

So let’s glue them again
    IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG

To glue the sides to the top, I’m using triangular blocks. First, square a dowel, cut it in cubes, and then cut it again into pyramids. Sand, and glue. A short video of the tedious sanding process on @luthierdiy instagram
    IMG_2026.JPG

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Barncaster and guitarbuilder like this.

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Very cool work. :cool:

sergiomajluf likes this.

11. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That body thickness looks a LOT thicker than the one I had, nor any I recall seeing. Almost twice as wide.

Of course, I haven't been to VZ in ages (the place is a hellhole now), so my memory may be failing me and maybe there are different styles of them.

12. sergiomajluf

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Yeah, that is still wider than it should be. They will be tapered towards the neck joint. Maybe I could post some general measurements next week :)

13. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hey, you know a lot more about this than I do! Look at that beautiful work you're doing!

It's just that the only cuatro I MYSELF remember was like ukulele depth. But my memory doesn't necessarily mean reality.

14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I was thinking these had six strings in three doubled courses then remembered thats a Tres lol

15. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    HAH!

Or a seis.

16. Dave Higham

Dave Higham TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2011
    S.W.France
    The cuatro has the same body profile as a baritone ukulele but with a deeper body. The depth is about the same as an OM guitar. I built one a while ago for a friend, although he doesn't tune it or play it like a Venezuelan cuatro.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    But the one he's building looks twice as deep.

18. sergiomajluf

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    Nice sound out of that one! Although it doesn’t really look like a Cuatro, rather a Baritone, large ukelele.

Beyond length, or body size, one key characteristic of the Cuatro is the wooden pick guard, covering half the body top towards the neck. The playing style of the Cuatro is sometimes vigorous, and percussive, so the pick guard protects the body, but also makes the top thicker so it vibrates differently than other stringed instruments like the ukelele or the guitar... but really, what do I know. I don’t even know how to tune it, let alone play this thing, not yet at least AHAHAHA

Today I did some progress

First I squared a tail block. Then I radiused the outer face where the body sides meet at the very bottom of the guitar
    IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG

In that pic we can see the point of discussion: how thick is my Cuatro? Well, it’s tapered between 11 and 12 cm. That’s roughly 4.3 to 4.7 inches.

IMG_2161.JPG

The process of crafting a bridge turned out simpler than I thought it’d be, but I’m not done yet.

Cut a block, trim the sides, make odd curved wings hehehe. My teacher will mock me because every chance I’ve got to make things weird or asymmetrical, I’ve taken.

IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG

And then, a mock-up. Neck already glued to the top, fretboard slotted, and bridge over everything else.
    IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2172.JPG

Now, wait another week so I can glue the sides to the top, finish and glueing the bridge and keep shaping the neck that is still far from ready, and many more i unkown things to learn.

Extra shot: I’m thinking about using walnut for the pick guard. It will bring a nice contrast to the spruce top. I have to figure out the shape still
    IMG_2173.JPG

Barncaster and guitarbuilder like this.

19. Dave Higham

Dave Higham TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2011
    S.W.France
    Jo had an old cuatro, on the point of collapse, which had the pickguard, but he didn't want one on this one, as his playing style didn't need it. Perhaps that and the top being the thickness of a baritone uke was why we were both surprised by the volume of sound of such a small instrument.

sergiomajluf likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.