I'm back to three amps . . .

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Arbogast, May 22, 2019.

1. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Not long after I put together my Vibrolux Reverb "clone" in 2009, I became a one amp guy. That one amp is still the best ever.

But since I started doing some regular gigging about nine months ago, my amp needs have expanded. So I've assembled two more amps over the last six months.

The Deluxe Reverb "clone" is a 2x10 and is lower-powered than a stock amp. The amp on the right is a tweed-era Vibrolux "clone" (with cosmetic tweaks).

All told, it's a nice selection of amps, with several venue-matching options. Tools for the trade.

FYI, the pedalboard is my one and only: tuner, mild OD, boost. (Looper is for noodling at home.)

[​IMG]

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Three is a good number of amps to have.

1. DIY 18 Watter clone - for "my" rock and roll sound.
    2. MuchXS Champ clone stack (w. 1-12" cab) - for a more Fendery sound, and surprising loud.
    3. Vox MV50 "Rock" - cheap, small, lightweight backup amp, Marshall sound, really loud for a micro amp.
    Of course, there's that Bogen PA carcass in the workshop. I'm thinking it would make a good blackface Princeton. Hmmm....

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

A 2x10 Deluxe Reverb sounds like a brilliant idea!

4. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Bob, you're an expert on refining the bloodline, since IIRC you've tried all sorts of variations and speakers in your amp quest over the years. A 5F11 is a great addition, I'd guess, since it kinda covers both tweed and brownface territory. Did I see somewhere you owned a 5F11 way back when?

I'd be curious how you compare the 2x10 DR to the VR. Or how about a sound sample of both amps, same settings (say all 5s or magic 7s or whatever you like)? :)

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, although I have more, 3 is about right:
    - 2 x 6L6 for outdoor etc gigs
    -Deluxe, DR or similar 2 x 6V6 for 90% of gigs and that smooth tone at lower volumes!
    -Small amp for Acoustic or Jazzy stuff etc.

6. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

I've been going in the opposite direction! I gig with the '77 PR on the left in a band. The Gretsch gets used at small gigs. Sano has been at my band's practice space. Polytone MiniBrute (my very 1st amp I bought used in 1986). I actually used at a gig due to really small space (it sat sideways on 8" shelf). The other two are just CL impulse buys! 1961 Gibson Maestro amp and 1982ish Yamaha JX35 in cool brown Tolex.

IMG_9666.jpg

stevemc likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I have too many and need to lose some. I am not a very accomplished player, and I don’t know how I ended up with so many. I bought all of them used - guess I couldn’t pass up a good deal.
    Vox AC15: main amp. Love it.
    Princeton Reverb 68: smaller, more portable, sounds great. Totally different than the others.
    Pro Jr: sounds great, but don’t use it much. Great as a grab/go.
    Peavey Classic 20 Head: really good, and I love having a head.
    Big 1x12 cabinet:easy to try out different speakers. One day I might mount the Pro Jr chassis permanently in the cabinet.
    Mustang I: use as a headphone amp. Also direct into my DAW for recording.
    Vox Pathfinder 15R: sounds amazing, but I rarely use it. I should let this go, but resale value seems pretty low.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that Vox Pathfinder 15Rs are great amps, but resale IS low......not easy to find, but seem to only go for $80-100. I played my gig last Saturday with one, with the 8" speaker replaced with a 10". I also use one re-housed into a custom cabinet with a 12".

PATCH likes this.
  9. Bob Arbogast

In the past I've built:
    • a stock 5F11
    • a tweaked 5F11 (with choke and a few other variations)
    • a 2x10 5F11 (with choke, bigger PT and OT, and 5881s)
    • a 4x10 5F11 (with choke, bigger PT and OT, and 5881s)

To my ear this 2x10 DR sounds very much like a smaller VR (much more than, say, a Princeton Reverb does). One difference, besides headroom, is that the DR is not as bright as the VR. (No bright cap in the DR.) I'll think about some sound samples. But both amps just sound like me playing through a BF reverb circuit!

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I'm planning a summer amp build, but I'm on the fence between a Deluxe Reverb 2X10 or a vibrolux reverb 2x10. Any chance you could post some recordings of the same guitar and mic capturing your amps? If not, just some feedback on your experience of the two would be awesome.

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Yeah. I’m going to run it into my 112 cab and see what it sounds like. For now it’s worth more to me than the $100 I could get for it. It’s amazing that an amp this good is only worth $100. Just shows you don’t need to spend a ton to get gear that sounds great.

W.L.Weller and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Bob Arbogast

Seriously, except for headroom and that little extra brightness from the VR's 6L6s, the amps sound the same. That's all a recording would pick up.

But here's the main thing in my experience: the DR has been plenty of amp in all the venues we've played so far. For an outdoor gig in July, I will bring the VR just in case. But with mikes and monitors, it probably won't be needed.

I should add that I don't think my DR is as loud as a stock DR. Mine has a high voltage of 375Vdc. A stock DR is more like 425 (or higher).

Mark the Moose likes this.
  13. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

It would be interesting to pare down to 3 amps. I've been collecting, for want of a better term.
    After selling off a DRRI and 5e3 to finance a change of marital status, I was left with my venerable ss Deluxe 112. I picked up a Custom Vibrolux Reverb and got hooked on the brownface sound, so I upgraded to a Vibroverb RI. When i ran out of clean headroom i picked up a 90s Concert Amp. When I started doing outdoor gigs I picked up a 70 Twin. Then, I picked up a SCXD, just to see what the hubbub was all about.
    Since then, I've picked up a couple Ampegs, and now I'm looking at another SCXD as a backup to my old one that is starting to have problems.
    At this point I'm not sure which 3 of my amps I would keep if I had to cull the herd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I like the number of 3 amps.
    Keepers: Princeton Reverd, Mustang 1. Yes that's only 2 but I'd buy a Marshall 20 head after I sold these:

Fender Blues Deluxe Reverb.
    Fender Excelsior
    Fender SVX2
    Egnator Rebel 20
    Fender Superchamp SE

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my top 3 that cover it all
    Jmp50 1987 now 2204
    jtm45
    jtm50 black flag
    3plex1 (2).jpg

drewcp and Durtdog like this.
  16. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I'm feeling a little weak here, down to only 2 amps...

17. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’m down to two amps with a third ordered.

‘79 Deluxe Reverb with Eminence Hempdog 12. It’s as loud as a DR can possibly be.

Stock Excelsior which is pulling the bulk of the duty as of now.

The special order is a 6G2 circuit that’s being built with a 12” Eminence Maverick.

Going forward, I can see the 6G2 becoming my primary amp. I think it’ll be more versatile than the Excelsior, especially with the Maverick’s adjustability. And I may end up dead wrong about this, but that DR should be all I need for larger and outdoor gigs.

18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I am trying to get there as well, but still a struggle. I am down to just the vintage amps right now, but still at 5 plus a clone. I find it really difficult to get any smaller though as each one brings a little something different to the table depending on the instrument involved.

Maybe at some point

19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Me, too.

Roland Blues Cube Hot (Tweed Bassman)
    Yorkville AM150
    Orange 35RT

20. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Stuck at 5. All different tones. Need/want them all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.