i'm a shredder and the 9.5 radius just isn't shreddable, is it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ben smith, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

i changed the fret rocker twice too, yeah maybe something is up with it then? hmmm thanks for the information.

2. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

ok man thanks very much. but aha! john 5's board is 12"

optofonik likes this.
  3. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

no it doesn't come through the amp at all, i am just quite o.c.d about these things. i like perfection on a fret job guess i should just let go a bit... thanks

4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

haha

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

i'm so used to 12" that's all, it's what i have been playing for the past ten years.

6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

forgive me lord for i have sinned!

7. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

ok everyone thanks for the input. my guitar isn't so much cheap it's way more than that, i built this body when i worked as an apprentice luthier in london, it means a lot to me and deserves more than a squier neck i feel. i bought the current neck from northwest guitars, i got a bit annoyed at them because the heel was not squared off enough, there is a very slight curve to it which isn't right! so i complained and they refunded me completely for it (£120) so it must be that this neck is complete crap all round? i get my pickguard in a couple of days ill make a vid. here it is so far with wrong guard, it's a good guitar apart from this small issue. thanks for your time people, sorry if i have blasphemed with the tele gods.... thumbnail_IMG_8109.jpg

8. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

9. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Also, iron maiden played 9.5" strats back in the day.

ben smith likes this.
  10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Any radius is shreddable. I'm the opposite of you....big strings, high action, ample neck relief. One of my favorite guitars is an ASAT Ckassic with a 9" radius. It was fine for a few years but as the frets were, yeah, I started getting note choking on big high E bends past the 10th fret. It's currently in the shop getting a stainless steel refret with big wire.

ben smith likes this.
  11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If you like 12, then 12 is what I would get.

In my youth, I bought a stelling banjo. I wanted a radius fingerboard. Everyone told me it wasn't worth the cost. When l called to add the option, Geoff stelling seemed pretty nonchalant about it and didn't offer much of an opinion.

I paid $300 for the option, and it was divine. Made my other two banjos feel kind of flat!

ben smith and MilwMark like this.
  12. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have 2 of those CV squier necks, one is my CV tele and one my CV strat. Fretwork on these is so good i have not needed to touch them. All my MIM guitars and others i have had to do fretwork to get them as low as i wanted. It's shocking but those classic vibes necks have ridiculously good fretwork for the $. Not that yours may not, there are always exceptions but if i had to bet i'd bet it could be setup to where you'd be happy with it. First thing i would suggest is set it with no relief then set the saddles accordingly. Actually i DO use some relief, but only so i can check it to see that the neck hasn't moved. Reason being is that if there is NO relief you'll have no way to see if the neck has moved into a backbow. So i use the least amount that i can visually see when holding the high E string down at first and last frets and checking string>10th fret clearance. I want just enough to visually see it which i imagine is maybe .002. If you want shredding action a straight neck with almost or no relief is mandatory.

ben smith likes this.
  13. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

I have very little relief but i could go back some more actually now you mention it, hmmm ill get back to you on that. thanks

14. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

Precisely.

15. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Throw on an Eric Johnson Strat neck. We won’ t tell anyone.

ben smith likes this.
  16. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Fret Rockers are great for spot levelling, but it sounds like your neck needs to be properly levelled overall using a straight edge/levelling beam. The Rectify Master Katana is also a great tool for levelling with the neck under tension.

My guess is that your neck has a very slight “hump” that the Fret Rocker is not making apparent. Low action and minimal neck relief is probably making that very slight hump into a bigger deal.

But the problem you’re describing has nothing to do with fretboard radius.

ben smith likes this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I think it was John Mayer who I saw explaining that he knows a lot of famous guitarists, and things like fretboard radius are not something these guys obsess over. Their obsession is music.

ben smith and darren7 like this.
  18. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

those guys are widdlers, not shredders. one should never confuse the two; imagine the embarrassment one could cause in the wrong context?

19. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I think many use these little “obsessions” to deflect attention from bad habits and lazy practice regimen.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  20. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have found that if you want really low action, going with zero relief(bend/bow) can help you get bent notes to not fret out. It's more finicky to get it set up, but it can be done.

ben smith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.