Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm a little astonished. Fender Super Champ head.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JasonKingsX, Jun 10, 2017.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Do you mean a 4x8? Or do you have a 4/10th's scale svt fridge cab? Hahaha

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    8 four inch drivers from some craptech stereo system.

bparnell57 likes this.

3. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I'd like to get my hands on a now discontinued Blackstar 4x8. I always wanted to see how it sounded as a mini-4x12.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    There were actually also some 4x6" cabs made, by Crate and also Quantum.

bparnell57 likes this.

5. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Two brand new ones on reverb.

6. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    And one on ebay for $200 with local pickup in Delaware.

7. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hartke made a 4x8 and possibly a 4x6 if I recall.

8. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Thanks... I saw that some time ago. Tempting but they are asking almost double of what they cost when widely available. $369 is a bit much for an experiment with a cheap cab. I should have snagged one at $199.

bparnell57 likes this.

9. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I've had one for years. It's the best small "new" amp I've used. I got a pine cabinet for mine and threw in an Eminence Legend 12".

10. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

Looking to try a 212 cab with my SCXD.

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    I used to drag an Acoustic 6 - 10 cabinet around. Made in the early 70's with 10" Celestians. I kept it until about 10 years ago....and I'm sorry I sold it.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Again, digital isn't a bad word anymore......people need move ahead from 15 years ago. Is it possible that Channel 1 in the SC is "all tube" and channel 2 which has the modeling is hybrid ? Some of the wording in the specs can be misconstrued, but I'm not sure on this one.

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've been using two SCXD combo's since 2009. I have replaced the speakers with Eminence Legend 105's. I routinely use the amps for shows up to 200 people. For more than that, you can always use a Mic or the Line Out. I run Electro-Harmonix tubes, and I can't believe that I've never had any reliability problems with these amps.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    JasonKingsX likes this.

14. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    I still have an SCXD that I converted to a head. Owned the X2 head but preferred the XD. It covers all of my Fender bases. In fact I sold my DRRI after acquiring the XD and have not looked back. Not saying the SCXD is as good as the DRRI but it speaks Fender big time. :)

15. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2011
    Mississippi
    Nope....even channel 1 is a DSP model that's "locked" to that particular model. It's still good, but there is no "pure" tube path in this amp. However, I think it may be possible to rip out all the DSP and add a 12AX7 to convert it to a full tube Princeton without trem or reverb. That's my plan if mine ever dies out of warranty.

wblynch and Jim Dep like this.

16. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    That sounds like a very interesting project to me ;)

17. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

If you go to the SCXD owners group or the X2, there's a build of a all tube amp in the SC chassis.

wblynch likes this.

18. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Great amp. Having had old Bandmasters ans Bassman heads in the 70s, this technology is a dream. Just a home studio rig for me. I haven't played-out with it, but it does some really neat stuff. I went with a 2X10 Eminence cabinet that works well. I wanted to keep it small. But, I've really enjoyed it. I tried it in the store through an Ampeg 4X10 bass cab with a horn and it sounded fabulous, with plenty of guts. So, I guess you can match this thing with just about any 8 ohm cabinet to get the tone you're after. I thought the newer Bandmaster cabinet, the smaller Vintage Modified model I believe, would be a good match with the Super Champ Head, too.

Attached Files:

guitarmikey and JasonKingsX like this.

19. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Sweet pic... they look awesome together. I've wondered how the Super Champ would sound with the new 1X12 BassBreaker cab.

20. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    One of the things you can do with this head that helps Tele players, is design a pre-set for slide, using the compression pedal. You can add some density and dimension to the bridge pickup that works well for slide. I was looking at compression pedals before I had the FUSE software. So, there are a number of things you can do with the amp. Some of which I hadn't really thought about until after I played around with it a while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.