Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm a little astonished. Fender Super Champ head.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JasonKingsX, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    At one time, I wondered why someone hadn't just integrated pedal electronics into a tube amp...and voila, here it is. Anyone else doing this with a tube/tube amp? Seems like the ultimate guitar-cord-amp all-in-one rig?

hrstrat57 likes this.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie

4. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    The tubes make the models that much better IMO.

5. JCW308

JCW308 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2016
    Telford, PA USA
    Is it really all-tube or just a hybrid? 15-watts gig-worthy for a pedal platform?

Mechanic likes this.

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Yep:

Super-Champ X2 15W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

Amplifier Type: Tube
    Speaker: 10" Special Design Speaker
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Preamp Tubes: 1 x 12AX7
    Power Tubes: 2 x 6V6

Inputs: One Input
    Controls: Volume 1, Channel Select, Gain, Volume 2, Voice, Treble, Bass, F/X Adjust, F/X Select, Tap
    Line Out: One Line Out

7. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Hybrid. Power amp is tube, preamp is digital.

jimash, RadioFM74 and JD0x0 like this.

8. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Selectable outputs? That would be good, but would push the amp out of price point with a feature that many/most would not want. For every 1 that would want this feature at $400, there are 10 who would say the the amp wasn't worth $400. Same with those disappointed that it doesn't come with a foot switch that would push it into the next price point.

The SCX2 has a different repair model. These amps aren't repaired, but are entirely replaced instead.

In any case, a cool amp that's a lot of bang for buck.

9. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Even Fender (damn them) describes the 12AX7 as a "preamp" tube, which is totally rong. Half of the 12AX7 is used as a driver stage, the other half as a phase inverter. Since it functions as a driver, I've swapped mine for a 12AT7 to lower the gain and make the tone a bit cleaner.

Felino and JCW308 like this.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Trickery in advertising? "Creative" specifications? Not surprised. Similar to my Vox VT50, which does use a tube, but not as the pre-amp circuit, but as a very low power circuit to generate distortion that feeds into the next stage.

Back to modelling = solid state or hybrid at best.....

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The X2 uses 6V6. Not 12AT or 12AX.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    The Marshall JMD series from a few years back runs a hybrid digital preamp/tube power amp, as did the Line 6 Spider Valve series before that.

13. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    The SCX2 uses (2) 6V6 in the power stage and (1) 12AX7 split between the driver and phase inverter stages. The SCXD used the same lineup.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You'right.

15. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway
    I have a combo- it sounds good enough, but what do you all use it for? It isn't loud enough to play over a drummer, and it it too loud for a bedroom amp? Mine sort of goes from no volume to 3ish- isn't infinitely adjustable at low levels. I've considered selling mine. Plus there is no input for practicing.

My 30 watt head even works better at bedroom levels.

16. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I found my SCXD to be loud enough to play jam sessions in a three man band. We weren't playing super loud as they were just jams though. I have 2 suggestions if you'd like to keep it and be able to play louder. 1) Put it a more efficient speaker in the combo. 2) Hook up a 2x12. As for it sounding better at low volumes, you might try the opposite and loading a less-efficient yet sweet sounding speaker in the combo for bedroom use and switch to the 2x12 when needing loud. That's a lot to consider but is doable... especially if you already have a 2x12 that you like.

hrstrat57 likes this.

17. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin

18. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    My SCX2 struggled when playing with a (loud) drummer, even hooked to a bigger cab. However, I would say it's perfect for home use, with very good tones from whisper-quiet up to police-call levels.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Yes, This one for me too.
    Through a mutt 8x4" cabinet.
    Surely would be nicer thru another cab but i really like this straight forward sound.

JasonKingsX likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.