Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I'm a little astonished. Fender Super Champ head.

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by JasonKingsX, Jun 10, 2017.

1. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    This thing sounds great. I plugged it in to a 1x12 and dialed in the bass and treble on clean. All of the voices sounded nice thereafter. It responds really well to touch too. I am stunned.

Felino, hrstrat57 and Ricky D. like this.

2. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2010
    whittier, ca
    This is the first version, with the voice knob, right?

JasonKingsX likes this.

3. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    I didnt know there was a Super Champ head.
    What year is that one?

Well I see this is in the modeling amp section so the op must mean an SDX2 not an old Super Champ 12" Combo?

Whatever Im glad it sounds great.
    What speaker and cab?

JasonKingsX likes this.

4. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    It's a X2 with a voice knob. I think first gens were XD.

RodeoTex likes this.

5. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    It's a current product, I just got it. It's the 15 watt head. I'm currently running it through a Yamaha 1X12 that is loaded with an Eminence Tonker. I haven't even hooked it up to my laptop to tweak advanced settings. I simply set bass and treble up initially and switch among the amp voices. I have a few favorites but they all sound pretty remarkable to me. Years ago I had the original Super Champ XD combo. It was pretty nice too but it's clear to me that the modeling has come a long way since then. It's a compact nice selection of tones for $250.

6. MRey

MRey Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    IL
    Glad you like it, always surprised they don't get more attention.

JasonKingsX likes this.

7. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

8. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Troubleandahalf and xafinity like this.

9. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I've had two - an '83 Rivera Super Champ and I currently own an XD. Although the Rivera-era Champ was spectacular in pretty much every way, my XD is a very nice amp too. Great cleans, Fendery and warm.

I'm guessing a lot of people have stayed away from them because of how good the old Super Champs were and they compare. They are a completely different amp. But I've played side-by-side with some good amps with my XD and it always sounds great. I did replace the speaker though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Felino and JasonKingsX like this.

11. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I'd love to take your Rivera Super Champ for a spin. Sounds sublime.

12. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Sold it a few years back and bought an AC15.

13. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Have you found any Super Champ settings that nail your AC15 or Rivera Champ sounds? Any that get close?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017

14. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Nah. I don't see amps that way. If it has tones that I like well enough I get it; and I've got a variety of different sounds in my stable now - Fender, Vox, Blackstar, Peavey. I don't try to get one to sound like another. In fact I want them all to sound different from each other, otherwise why have them?

JustABluesGuy likes this.

15. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    I have the Fender Super Champ X2 head and channel 1 is a stellar blackface tone. I rarely, if ever, use the channel 2 modeling settings because I prefer a pedal for my dirt. The SCX2 handles pedals very well and I find myself using it more than my Trace Elliott Bonneville 4X10, 68 Fender Vibro Champ and my 69 Fender drip edge Bandmaster Reverb head. I am using a 15 inch speaker cab with my SCX2, loaded with a JBL K130 that lets this amp breath life into what ever I play.

Bob M and JasonKingsX like this.

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I gigged an SCXD pushing a 4X12 cab for years. Glad you're digging the X2 head. No longer have the cab, but channel 1 with pedals for dirt works great as well...

JasonKingsX likes this.

17. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Thanks! One thing I especially like is how the amp starts to breathe once you get to a certain volume. Happily that volume is about what I play at during jam sessions with a bassist and drummer. It's nice to have a full-on tone at reasonable levels. It would be a bonus if Fender added selectable outputs like I had on a Series One head I used to have. Having that type of tone at bedroom levels would be sweet... the amp just seems alive.

I used to have a 5 watt Vibro Champ XD that sounded pretty phenomenal in the living room. Unfortunately it died while under warranty and languished in a Fender approved repair shop in San Antonio for 6 months until I gave up hope. I hope Fender service is better these days.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017

18. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    SC head sweet rig. Really works for most players. Perhaps upgrade V1 to a better 12AX7 and that's it. Groove Tube 6v6 duet is nice

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    So the "voice" knob is a selector for the digital amp models? I didn't realize it had models. So its a tube/tube preamp and power amp section, but with a digital front end? Kinda like a pedal bank built into the amp?

Round Bale likes this.

20. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    It has selectable amp models from the voice knob, yes. Although I have yet to explore tuning via the Fuse software, I think you can also add dirt pedals to the mix. It most certainly has a tube power amp. And you can certainly hear it.

Attached Files:

Felino likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.