Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ill advised Champ 600 project

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Prophetsnake, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Bendyha

Bendyha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Northern Germany
    Congratulations ! Good to hear. With your new parts it probably will be better than the original parts. Classic Tone are great transformers.
    This might well have infected you now, it normaly does....so what is your next project goig to be?

2. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake TDPRI Member

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    Thanks Bendyha. And you are right - I already have a 5E3 in progress. :)
    Thanks so much for sticking with me. I've learned quite a bit.

3. Prophetsnake

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    Okay. I've decided that I hate the PC board plan, so what I intend to do now to fill the little cab is to bash one up from a kit.

The board and components are from Tube Audio Supply and it will have classic tone transformers.

The chassis will be mounted in the style of a 5C1. It's made of high carbon steel (cuz I had some) I reckon it will work fine, but it'd be great if you guys could pick it apart.

Just above the circuit board are two large-ish holes for the OT leads. the OT would be mounted between them. Next up, left to right: 12AX7, 6V6, output jack, rectifier and mains lead. The faceplate from L to R, inputs, volume/off switch, pilot lt and fuse.

I figure I will come under the board with the wires that need to get to the control panel.

Following advice I read in another thread, I'll line the top of the cabinet with fine mesh screen.

Sound like a plan?

Many thanks!

4. Prophetsnake

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    Sorry, having a little trouble navigating the file attachment system here. Here's a photo.

5. Prophetsnake

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    Okay. Completed and fired up. Didn't go well. It makes noise and I can hear a guitar there somewhere, but the sound is a lot of static and though strumming the strings makes a kind of guitar sound, it sounds as though it's buried in white noise and reverb. Obviously, I'm going to have to go through the thing from one end to the other, but is this symptomatic of anything in particular?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

6. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Start with verifying the input and speaker jack wiring. Take voltage readings for us.

Prophetsnake likes this.

7. Prophetsnake

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    Thanks Robrob

I fiddled around with the jacks, made sure everything was good and tight. Poked at the joints and tried again. This time it played, anyway.
    However, it's very very quiet. Very. It sounds good, but it makes less noise than an acoustic. When the volume goes up, it distorts just like you would expect, but the volume only increases a smidgeon.

So, looking at the PT output. 6.8 at the sockets and 5.0 at the rectifier socket. I get 656 across the secondary and 326 from the centre to each. Both of the centre taps seem sound.

The first filter cap measures 376.
    The second is 321
    and the third 286.

The pins on the pre-amp tube are:
    pin 1 - 188
    pin 2 - 1mv
    pin 3 - 1.5
    pin6 - 182
    pin 7 - 3mv
    pin 8 -1.4

On the output tube
    Pin 3 - 362
    pin 4- 332
    pin 5 - 3.5 mv
    pin 8 - 20 V

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

8. Prophetsnake

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    Found a voltage chart and those all looked about right, so I tinkered and found the problem - the speaker lead. Swapped it with another and was treated to a wall of incredible sound. Much much better than I'd even hoped for. Im kicking myself that I didn't get one of these years ago.

9. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Sweet. Congratulations on getting it up and running.

10. Prophetsnake

Aug 2, 2016
    ireland
    Thanks Robrob. Just been browsing your pages, by the way. Fantastic resource! Thanks for doing that.

Still a bit of hum and crackling on this Champ. The crackling I'm pretty sure is a dodgy output tube. I'll figure out the hum in the fullness of time.

robrob likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.