Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ikeacaster: newbie tele copy on the cheap

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tuuur, Oct 30, 2007.

1. TeleAnon

TeleAnon Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2011
    CNY
    I guess you missed the part where he said he doesn't like it, hasn't played in in years, and is tearing it apart...

Tuur, you should auction/raffle the body!

2. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Now there's an idea! ;-)

Here is what it looks like right now. The body has darkened quite a bit over the years!

[​IMG]

3. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    If it doesn't make a good Tele body, it might make a nice clock.

Before you make up your mind, try this: rebody the guitar with the same neck, hardware and electronics, to determine whether the body is the problem, or whether the problem lies somewhere else (could be a badly cut nut, or something wrong with the bridge and/or saddles). I'd try to pick up something cheap like a Squier body that will fit the neck and hardware without any complications.

Alternately you could put a different neck and bridge on the existing body, keep everything else the same, and see what difference that makes.

Or, make yourself a nifty clock.

4. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Finally decided what to do... and the Tryggvecaster will live on as the logo on the headstock of the re-assembled Squier 51 it once belonged to.

[​IMG]

Possible the body will be made into a twelve string. I got all parts: an all maple Eden neck, 12 kluson type tuners, nut blank. How hard can it be?

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    And the circle is complete! :lol:

6. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    So here are the '51 and the tryggvecaster side by side.

The neck currently on the tryggvecaster is weird in that it has a bow just in the neckpocket part, which causes the frets to block the strings there.

Up till the 12th fret it plays well enough though. So I could either bin it or rip the frets off the end of the neck. :)

Attached Files:

7. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    After having put the 51 neck back on the Tryggvecaster again, and loving the sound, I still thought it was a shame to have a 51 body doing nothing. Plus I still did not like the pale looking neck on the Tryggve... so I bought a cheapo Chinese tele neck off ebay and put it on the Tryggvecaster.
    Been playing it all night and am very happy with the result!

[​IMG]

8. decal

decal Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    The tint on that cheapo neck is perfect for that body.
    This is the usual extent of my posts.."thumbs up" kind of stuff.
    Glad it's still evolving and you're enjoying playing it!
    I'm totally disgusted with guitars today, but that just looks so nice..
    I think I'm sleep deprived...I've been to Holland three times and wish
    I lived there...ok, off to bed.

9. decal

decal Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    crap. I killed your thread.

10. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Course not! It's an old thread anyways

decal likes this.

11. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Well... turns out I was not that happy.
    Never played the Squier again after that pic, so I sold that one off. A bit sad because I like the looks, but then again I really could not bond with it.

As for the Tryggvecaster; I bought the wrong neck. The holes for the tuners were too big for vintage kluson style tuners. Tried to fix that by adding ducktape around the bushings, which didn't work.
    Also the nut is not that good. So it sat unplayed for several months again.

Now I bought a Triple Telecaster neck including tuners which should be delivered this week; I hope that neck will fare better than the previous ones!

12. Patrick201

Patrick201 TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Hitsville, USA
    I'm newer to the board so never saw this thread back when it all started. Wow - great read and great job, even if you've had to adjust over the years.

13. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Well, the Fender neck came in and long story short: it does not fit. It's got a much narrower neck pocket width. So I am keeping the darker neck on the Tryggvecaster. Now to find a new body to the Fender neck...

IMG_8880.JPG

IMG_8881.JPG

14. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I've just read all of this thread.... love it!

tuuur likes this.

15. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This was one of the first builds I was exposed to when I first became aware of TDPRI. Great to see it's still developing! Now that I have an account, let me just say I love the body of the Tryggvecaster.

I'm doing my own "I need a neck for this body / body for this neck" thing at the moment. Reminds me of hot dogs and hot dog buns...

tuuur likes this.

16. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    So the plan is to convert it to a Bigsbified guitar. Got a badly, orbital sander-reliced Bigsby and a rusty Fender 6 saddle bridge that will have to somehow do the trick. I'll need to deepen the bridgepockup route as the screws for this no name pickup that I plan to use are longer.

The damage done:

IMG_8967.JPG

Mock up:

IMG_8968.JPG

The body colored nicely over the years:

IMG_8976.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.