Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ikeacaster: newbie tele copy on the cheap

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by tuuur, Oct 30, 2007.

1. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Hi all,

finally I started my own build.
    I decided to start out cheap and try to do it with the most basic woodworking tools. So don't expect the result to be exact, as I am not a perfectionist as well...

I started out with this very cheap Strat copy (nicknamed Poltergeister) I'm going to use the neck, tuners, neck pickup and controls off. I got three strats already and no fender dimensioned tele, so I don't bother taking that apart.

[​IMG]

Then I got me a laminated Ikea shelf plank, called Tryggve. The idea is to create a body out of it by cutting it in three and laminating it, hollowing the center part out. The plank was 1.20 meters by 36.5 cm by 1.5 cm.

[​IMG]

After the plank was cut, I printed a Telecaster outline on A3 paper, cut it out, and transferred it with carbon paper on the front piece of wood. I also made two points for alignment to the left and the right of the body. On the middle part, I transferred the chambers.

[​IMG]

Then, with a jigsaw I sawed out the chambers.

[​IMG]

2. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Recently I got a handrouter; so as a test I also routed out a cavity of 1 cm from the back and front panels. Here they are, finished routing:

[​IMG]

Then I glued the three parts together. I used standad white wood glue from the DIY store, 6 clamps (maybe it's not enough, but we'll see) and a weight to push it together.

[​IMG]

A day later, I sawed the body with a jigsaw. It is clear a bandsaw and router would give a much straighter result, but I don' have a bandsaw, and no tracing bit on the router... and was interested how things would turn out like this.
    So this is how it looked, with pickguard, bridge and controlplate for reference:

[​IMG]

Then I routed out the neckpocket... and made the newbie mistake to not measure thrice but only twice... :) It was routed 3 cm while it should have been only 1.5 cm. So I glued a piece of wood in the neckpocket and routed it to the correct height.

[​IMG]

That doesn't look pretty, but I guess it will work.

3. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    This is the current state:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pickups are a Seymour Duncan STL1B Broadcaster bridge pickup and a no-name DeArmond style gold foil single coil neck pickup.

[​IMG]

fortj3 likes this.

4. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    looking great so far...i like the natural wood, very nice!

by the way, when you use the whammy bar on this strat copy does your car window roll down?::p

5. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Sweden, by golly!
    Hey, I like what you're doing. :cool:

Keep the pictures coming!

/ Tony

6. wikur

wikur Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2006
    Sweden
    Great thread!
    You`ve got to post soundclips of the "tryggvecaster" when it`s finished.
    Cheers,Wikur!

7. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    It's good to see what's possible when you think outside the box. [​IMG]

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks cool, keep it comin'.

BTW, does anyone know what tryggve is?

This looks like some form of fast growing softwood; I guess there's a good number of hectares on land devoted to that Northeast of where you are.

You know, this is a dangerous deal. I've got big scraps of wood 'round here I'd have thrown away no questions asked a year ago. Now the stuff is piling up to mid-calf.

Bubbanov

9. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    I was curious as well... it seems to be a scandinavian name, especially one of a Viking king somewhere around 900.

10. ghosttour

ghosttour Former Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Decatur, GA

11. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2007
    andoverandoverandover,ct
    isn't Tryggve a a planet on Star Trek??

12. ptfreak

ptfreak Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2005
    Holmsund, Sweden
    you're right..

Tryggve is a scandinavian name, and the viking issue is most possible also true. The Ikeacaster seems very thick, dont ya think, and the sidewindow whammy is hilarious! :D

J

13. telefunk

telefunk Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Do you put it all together with one of those little hex keys ?

14. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Yep, I like the wood too. I'm planning to keep it natural, with some clear finish or oil, I'm not sure which yet.
    And the whammy bar doesn't do that, though maybe with some infrared device...
    By the way, it's back again with its original owner, a 60s Kawai/Teisco/No idea what it is:

[​IMG]

Thanks! There'll be some more in my next reply...

Thanks! I intend to post some clips, stay tuned for that... :D

I'm actually very curious myself. I'm planning to learn to do things the right and sensible way as well, in the future, when I got my tools and patience and woodworking skills together some more. But in the meantime, this is fun as well!

Thanks!

I don't know, I am not that versed in Trekkie stuff...

I thought it was thick at first as well; it's 4.5 cm. But it turns out it has the same thickness as my Aria 1582t tele copy. Furthermore, as it is chambered, the guitar is very lightweight.
    That sidewindow whammy is actually some german home window opening system I got from the scrapyard.

No, but I intend to finish it with some Ikea Behandla stuff... :lol:

15. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    OK, we left off somewhere here:

[​IMG]

Tonight I first lined out the bridge using the low and high E strings. Then I mounted the bridge, and strung'r up!

[​IMG]

Sound was promising, though naturally things were far from intonated. Then I traced the position of the bridge pickup route through the holes in the bridge, and adjusted the position of the control plate as well.

[​IMG]

I drilled the control route with a forstner bit first.

[​IMG]

16. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Then I finished it with the handrouter, not using a template...

[​IMG]

After that, the bridge pickup route. Started with a hole drilled with a forstner bit, and finished again with the handrouter. Again, without using a template. Remember, I'm just testing out how things will look when you DON'T do it the sensible way... ;)

[​IMG]

Then I drilled the hole for the bridge pickup wires:

[​IMG]

17. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Well, I guess I am not the patient kind of guy. So having come this far, I installed the bridge, bridge pickup, control plate with a volume pot, and a makeshift output jack...

And here it is now (is a guitar named after a 10th century viking king a she? don't think so!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And hey, what do you know, after some tweaking of the bridge saddles it's actually very playable already! :D Sounding gritty like it should.

18. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

very cool! 1 question though... why didn't you cut the f-hole out before glueing? Is there an advantage to doing it now?

19. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

My tele pipe dreams took me to your idea one
    day as I was thinking about how to turn old
    furniture into tele bodies....imagine doing this
    with an old slab of mahoghany, or walnut
    off the top of a 70 year old dresser. Wood that
    old sings like a marimba when you thunk it.
    I will have to send you a slab....your doing
    it the exact way I would have done it...

Would it work out if you cut the neck pocket
    in the upper slab and then leave it uncut in the
    middle slab?

MAGNIFICIENT....

20. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Fascinating thread, Tuuur - you're doing an excellent job!....:cool:

Keep it coming.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.