Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

If your Squier works for the job, what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TeleOrLes, Apr 15, 2017.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Ive always just viewed my Squiers as guitars to enjoy.
    I seem to be missing out on the whole 'feeling embarrassed about it' thing. Should I think of ways to justify ownership?
    Do you guys put a sock on the headstock when friends come over? :D
    Just teasing, I like my Squiers too.

2. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World

Looks like a bunch of NUNS...Sisters of the Blessed Tone

Minimalist518 and xafinity like this.

3. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    This was a Made-in-India Squier that I bought damaged and re-bodied it, while making some pickup and bridge mods. Great necks, these Indian Teles had. And, a great Tele, with a couple upgrades.

Attached Files:

Minimalist518, AZkoaMan and TeleOrLes like this.

4. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    Very nice! How's the sound? Did you get the body unfinished? I'm still redoing a Cozart Tele copy (another pretty good mod guitar with a nice neck & CHEAP). If your Squier sounds half as good as it looks, you have a helluva nice guitar. :cool:

5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    This is probably the best-playing Tele I have and I have quite a few. The body is a Mex Std. body that I found on eBay, that wasn't too $$, bought back when Mex Stds. were a few hundred bucks. It's light in weight and that was the reason I bought it. And, of course, since white Teles are my favorite. I wanted something with a humbucker neck rout and the Mex Std. was the logical body to go with. And, Fender body and neck combos just seem to go together the best. Sounds terrific. I have a bunch of standard layout Teles, so I wanted to do something with hummers in the classic Tele style, rather than the Deluxe or Custom configuration. If you're looking for a project to build, this one ended-up a great guitar, for not a lot of cash.

6. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Well I had a Squier Strat once and it rocked. If you find a good one they're great axes full of personality. In a good way.

TeleOrLes likes this.

7. highway

highway TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2016
    Salzburg
    any opinions on the recent affinity series? i am liquidating a lot of gear to get down to a bare bones setup, and my usacg project is going by the wayside. i have a set of hipshot tuners and keystones (plus a yet to own wilkinson bridge) that i am looking to put on a good-enough-for-the-price tele that will play and sound great. any suggestions? it might end up being my only guitar.

TeleOrLes likes this.

8. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I hear so many mixed opinions about Affinity Squiers & have never played one so I can't give an honest one of my own. There's a butt load of stuff on Youtube about them. o_O

9. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Yes. Gotta be careful! I wouldn't want them to catch anything from a Gibson.:D:D

xafinity, Route67 and TeleOrLes like this.

10. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    The worst thing you can catch from a Gibson is Emptywalletitis. :eek:

Minimalist518 and Fiesta Red like this.

11. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    What about Brokenheadstock Syndrome? Not pleasent,either. Dealing with it just aggravates the Emptywalletitis.:D

Minimalist518 and Fiesta Red like this.

12. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    Arrivedinthemailbustedosis is a crippling condition usually transmitted via eBay is pretty nasty.

13. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    My Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster and Jaguar are nice guitars, period. I went out around Christmas to try and convince myself to buy a $1K MIM Fender "'60s Classic" Jazzmaster, but it just wasn't worth 2.5 times the cost of a Squier. Sure it was "better," but not $600 better. Not to me, anyway. I'm proud to rock my Squier offsets.

I just picked up a '90s MIC Affinity Strat. I got it purely for the hardshell case it came with- I figured I'd flip the guitar and amp that came in the deal and have a nice case left over for $20 or so. Naturally the hardware is junk, but the neck on that thing is nice. The fret ends feel like they were dressed, and I sincerely doubt this thing ever got a lick of work done on it after it left the factory. The cheap-o ceramic pickups in it actually sound good, too. I've gone from planning to punt it, to keeping it to rebuild and paint, to leaving it as-is because it's just fun to play, even in it's junked-out state (serious fretboard gunk, scratchy pots, smells like oatmeal raisin cookies). My plan is to eventually paint it LPB with a matching headstock (because I LOVE matching headstocks), but I'm actually kind of thinking about keeping the headstock unpainted so the Affinity logo shows.

Route67 and TeleOrLes like this.

14. Nob Boss

Nob Boss TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Toronto
    A pro bass player? Thats funny.

Who cares what you play, as long as it sounds good

15. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Nothing wrong with Squiers. The quality control is pretty darn good, beats out a lot of competing manufactuers. I had a Classic Vibe Thinline Telecaster, beautiful instrument, stock pickups were killer. I could coax some wonderful tones out of it playing through my Deluxe Reverb. Easily competed with my 66 Fender Jazzmaster. The only issue was the neck, it's a bit thin. I developed arthritis, and the cramping of my hand forming chords didn't help matters. Sadly I had to let it go. Modding a Squier can be rewarding, these guitars have great bones.

Squier CV Thinline-3.JPG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

16. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    My Squier Vintage Modified SSH is an awesome guitar. It is currently my numero uno. I have a Squier 51 I am going to be finishing up soon. It's an '04. Originally sunburst, I repainted it a metallic black. Going back together with upgraded pick-ups, three way toggle switch, and a volume knob. Need to get everything soldered up.

TeleOrLes likes this.

17. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    You could always try to find some "water slide" logo decals.

18. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    I really, really miss my VM 72 tele, it is the Keef model. Man, that was an awful lot of guitar and I gave it to my brother.

TeleOrLes likes this.

19. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    I've got a CVC bass - really love it. You can't go wrong with most Squier's. I'm still deciding on which Squier guitar to get.

TeleOrLes likes this.

20. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I dig my Classic Vibe Custom FSR in Gold/Bronze.

Truthfully, I just bought it on impulse because I thought the unique FSR colour (for non USA countries only it seems) was really cool with the binding. Also truthfully, I am just compelled to maximise a good guitar to make it a great one if I can do it cost effectively. Just the way I am.

The pickups especially the neck humbucker did not fully do the guitar justice and so I swapped them for used USA Custom 62 with bridge and saddles as well as the cheap swicth and pots for USA. The pickguard was cheap too and while that didn't matter but I still wanted to change it for USA. So now it is a Chinese/American hybrid and is an inexpensive but great sounding, looking and playing guitar.

Was and is pics

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_4941.JPG

Todd2a, Iago and TeleOrLes like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.