Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

If your Squier works for the job, what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TeleOrLes, Apr 15, 2017.

1. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I'm a former pro bass player & now without a band I have the freedom to play & record what I want. I'm glad to find Squier fans here & would like to hear from Squier fans. Especially Squier Telecaster players!!

chemobrain, Believer, nicod98 and 3 others like this.

2. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    One other thing. I've had an American Std Stratocaster & an American Std Telecaster. With pressure from friends & others, mods were always a no no. I like using pickups I want & other electronics & hardware. Squiers are the perfect medium being about as close to the "genuine article" but still have the room to make them better.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Modding guitars is hardly sacrilege around here, so maybe you just need to hang out with a different group of friends. :D

tominwa, stinkey, cntry666 and 7 others like this.

4. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    I practice regularly with a Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster in Vintage Blonde with the equivalent Tonerider Hot Classic pickups. I came to electric from acoustic guitar; the latter became problematic due to shoulder issues and with all solid wood at times being woofy or having overwhelming overtones from sound box reverb with variations in humidity/climate affecting tone. With the Telecaster, volume can go up, string and note separation is all there, delicate or light touch gives great results. Not interested in modifications, want to practice music esp. finger style with background in folk and baroque counterpoint. No need to spend great deals of money on equipment; rather for me, necessary to have an excellent guitar technician to keep my instruments fine tuned.

TeleOrLes likes this.

5. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    Cool! I guess that folks that buy a guitar for an investment (I never understood this one because it's like art. Something worth more after you're dead.) Making your guitar sound different or especially better has always been a big thing for me.

Grux, shupe13 and kuvash like this.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yeah, it's almost required that you have at least one Tele you've "messed with". LOL

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Investment-grade musical instruments aren't found hanging on the wall at the local Guitar Center, they're typically brokered by specialized dealers and cost more than many peoples' cars, and sometimes more than a house.

kuvash and TeleOrLes like this.

8. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Sounds like you appreciate improving or changing tonal characteristics on your instrument(s). You should easily find a gold mine of experienced advice here with modifications. Welcome aboard

soulman969 and TeleOrLes like this.

9. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    When I got divorced, I had to sell off a ton of my equipment. I moved to Australia but even after liquidating things like my 2 Twin Reverbs, I still took my Squier Pro Tone Tele with me. I had a Japanese Squier Tele (my first) that was stolen in 91 & could not part with this one.

Route67 likes this.

10. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Jimmy Owen, el cheapo and TeleOrLes like this.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I have two Squier CVC Teles and two Squier CV basses. They're a great platform for mods and upgrades.

One CVC has a set of Bill Lawrence/Wilde Keystones, a 4-way switch, and the neck from a 2006 Nashville Deluxe and the other CVC has a Kent Armstrong P90 neck pickup, a SD Quarter Pound bridge pickup, and also has a neck from a 2006 Nashville Deluxe because I prefer that neck profile.

Both basses (a P and a J bass) have Bill Lawrence/Wilde pickups and Babicz FCH bridges and are as good as any Fender bass I've ever owned dating back to the '60s. The plus is that both cost me less with their upgrades than even one MIA Fender bass would have cost me and I have played both professionally.

68Telebass, Route67 and TeleOrLes like this.

12. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    If I'm not quick to reply, I'm getting some CBG amps & effects ready to list on a popular auction site. Gotta raise some $$$ for a project guitar. My 85 y.o. mom bought a Cozart "Tele" for me for Christmas. A really pretty guitar with an ebony top & maple fingerboard but as with a large part of Asian guitars, the electronics are garbage, wiring is questionable, & frets need side dressing. Otherwise it's perfect! :rolleyes:

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

You should know we like pictures an' stuff 'round here.
    This is my monochromatic fleet, the Strat has had a lot of mods but the neck pickup is original and better tone from it than many Alnicos I've played so it stays, it also has a Dan Armstrong Blender mod in it to go from SSS to HSH. My Teles get the control plate reversed and 4-way switches.

IMG_4510d.JPG

TeleOrLes and Route67 like this.

14. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    OK, I'll get some together. Here's a basket case that I brought back to life. It's a mid to late 80's Epiphone Les Paul III. Got it for close to nothing about 19 yrs ago. It came originally with a Stienberger licensed tremolo that was basically destroyed. Removed it & with spare parts made it into a hard tail.

15. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    Having a prob with pics. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Attached Files:

16. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    This is the strat.

Stainless block saddles, neck on switch, and a TBX tone wired to both bridge and neck. Which pickup it works on depends on where the switches are set. The pickups are overwound ceramics.

[​IMG]

68Telebass and TeleOrLes like this.

17. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    Another one I got on the cheap. It plays pretty good but it needs a bridge to make it just right. IMG_20170121_164425592.jpg

68Telebass likes this.

18. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    I forgot, the Pro Tone.

19. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    IMG_20170121_164145984.jpg

Attached Files:

Jef, BretFuzz, hrstrat57 and 3 others like this.

20. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I also have two basses, Jazz and Precision. The P just has upgraded pots and jack. The Jazz I switched from two volumes and a tone to master volume, pickup pan pot, tone.

TeleOrLes likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.