If "They" could drop you off in a Century/Decade and leave you forever, which would it be?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Apr 14, 2019.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd like to get dropped back in Sydney, Australia in 1982 and I'd happily spend my time, Groundhog Day style, seeing these bands.

13490702_1101560656571368_2620899176527769288_o.jpg

The band scene in Sydney was vibrant with something on every night. The suburban beer barns were the place to be and the pub circuit was thriving. Sadly the pokies killed all that.

Shuster likes this.
  2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure I could cope with 20th century ... not so sure about anything before that.

Shuster likes this.
  3. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

1975-1985 !! this 10 years were great

Shuster likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, Century.. I thought it said cemetery...:lol:

Shuster, tone57 and HoodieMcFoodie like this.
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I study the US past for a living. It tends to kill nostalgia. I'm happy where I am and don't imagine any golden ages in the past.

Out of professional interest, I'd like to see the late nineteenth/early 20th century. But I wouldn't want to live there

Shuster, Torren61 and Flakey like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

1957! Should give me enough time to figure out how to arrange George Harrison from HIS fate and make it my own... “Hey Paul, listen to this song I wrote. Its called “Maybe I’m Amazed” ... “Hey John, before you walk into that museum, let me introduce you to this girl.”.... “Guys, Phil Spector sucks as a producer and he will make this album sound like crap!”..

Shuster and Torren61 like this.
  7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

Up until the middle of the 20th century was pretty grim all round unless you were fairly wealthy, and we have WWII to thank for antibiotics which have arguably prevented more early deaths than pretty much anything else. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the 20s and 30s when my parents were growing up. If you had a serious bacterial infection you had to pay for a doctor to come and be not much use.

We Boomers truly were blessed :)

Shuster, Torren61 and Fiesta Red like this.
  8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Drop me off back in the 80s. My profession was better back then ( in terms of work level and options ), and no internet. I wouldn't want to go back to the 1800s or anything.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The middle 1900's … I'd know what to expect and when to duck .

Shuster, Torren61 and DaveTone like this.
  10. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

I would still want to play some stringed instrument and I wouldnt make a good bard as I dont think Id look good in tights prancing about.

Guess I will stay here. Perhaps born into an earlier decade, but not century

Shuster likes this.
  11. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Um, didn’t “they” kick “your” asses though?

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

I think we're in a golden era at this time... any earlier and you would have a fight or get sick and die, any later you will have Armageddon to go through, And, guitars are really good right now. Plus, I got to see a lot of cool bands.

13. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

No brainer the 60's I was a 5'2" stud then and quiet a bit of the 60's draws a blank.:cool:

Shuster and tery like this.
  14. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I'd take the '58 Century

Buick Century 1958.jpg

15. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

I'll take the thirteenth century and follow St. Francis.

The dude was repeatedly throwing himself naked in the snow. His friends asked him what he was doing and he said "Trying to make God laugh."

Shuster likes this.
  16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Whatever the century is, when we get to Star Trek technology.

Shuster, Torren61 and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I have mixed feelings about this concept.

There’s a lot of things I don’t like about recent times, say from 2005-onwards...many of those things I don’t like are verboten to discuss here, but I’ll just touch on it by saying that some people need to realize that just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t make them evil, and even if you can’t get that concept through their thick skulls, they don’t have to express themselves so loudly and/or vulgarly in voicing their disdain.

But from a musician’s standpoint, we’re in High Cotton.
    -Anybody can make an album at very little cost on a laptop or other device.
    -Everyone has a platform they can promote their music (YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, whatever), so you don’t have to have a label to publish your music.
    -There are good-to-great reasonably-priced recording mics out there, as well as DI boxes, etc.
    -Cheap guitars are more than “usable”—they’re good!
    -Pedals are plentiful and can be found cheap.
    -Usable amps can be had for reasonable prices (although I’m of the opinion that the *best* amps are *not* found cheap, but that’s a million other threads).

We can (and have) debate(d) the music scene ad nauseam, but the only thing I find lacking in the music scene around here is the lack of good venues and/or live performance opportunities for “weekend warrior” and young starting bands.

Having said that, my 17-year-old daughter (she’s a musician/songwriter, too) said something pretty intriguing last week...she said that if someone dropped me off in the mid-fifties, as a guitarist, slide guitarist and harp player, I could/would have made an impact on the blues/rock music scene in either Chicago or Memphis; she said if I could have conned the Chess Brothers into letting me record there, they’d have had a novelty of a white guy who played Texas blues on a “race” label.

She further thought I could have made it during that time period in the Gulf Coast Blues scene—if Excello or Peacock would have signed me (I don’t think I’d want to mess with Don Robey at Peacock, though!).

She also said as time passed, I would/could have easily transitioned into a country and western musician by the mid-sixties and fit into the Outlaw Country scene in the early 70’s...

Here’s the things I thought would have held me back (outside of the whole space-time continuum conundrum):

-Racism. I can’t abide. If I’d played in the south/in Texas, it would have been the late 60’s before I’d been able to tour with a mixed race band, and I’d surely have gotten in trouble with any powers that be at the labels, demanding better treatment for the non-white artists. I’d have ended up with some cement shoes, probably. Add to the fact that my wife is of Mexican descent, I’d have stood out even further (Buddy Holly had issues in that regard). The “good old days” weren’t that good for a lot of people.

-Acceptance. Yes, I can play Chess-style Blues, as well as Excello and Sun styles as well. But would they allow me to blend the bluesy stuff I play with the rock and country elements that always pop up, no matter what I do? I think Sun would have allowed it more—Sam Phillips let Elvis and Johnny Cash blend various flavors and leanings of country, blues, rockabilly and gospel; Stax might have given that leeway, too—but beyond some slight veneer, I ain’t Memphis-style...that’s a deep river, and I’ve only dipped my toe into it.

Texas (outside of Houston) had a “scene,” but everyone had to go North or East to “make it,” with one major exception being T-Bone Walker, who eventually went West (and I don’t play swing/jump Blues, so I’d been outta luck out there).

-Another thing that might have held me back was my no-drugs-at-all and tee-totaling practices—a lot of those scenes were fueled by booze and speed and pot. I don’t care if somebody else is doing it, just leave me out of it. I would have stuck out like a sore thumb and been regarded with suspicion...even in modern times, I’ve had people suspect that I’m a cop or a narc because I’m so Square in that regard and wouldn’t take a hit or snort a line with them. My liver will probably catch up by the time I’m 70 for the sheer volume of alcohol heaped upon it from 1984-1998, so in the meantime, I don’t drink, either.

The place I *think* I’d like to have been was Austin in the mid-seventies into the eighties...

Racism was lessening significantly.

I wouldn’t have had the cops harassing me, because I don’t drink or drug.

I fit a similar mode as the Fabulous Thunderbirds, with a heavy doses of Waylon Jennings and ZZ Top blended in.

Texas is my home, and outside of Fort Worth, the triangle from Pflugerville (north) to Fredericksburg (west) to New Braunfels/Gruene (south) is where my heart and soul are most at rest.

But leave me here and at home for now, thank you very much!

Shuster, Torren61 and Recce like this.
  18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I'll stay right here , thank you
    Healthcare , free for everyone
    Decent living for everyone
    Education , free for everyone
    Decent minimum pay
    We can pretty much do as we please , well.......
    I LOVE IT , please don't make me leave !

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

They kicked everyone's asses via stealth manipulations which is why we are all at the mercy of interest and taxes with a pre determined hourly value and the need to report in often and obey rules we might not necessarily agree with.

Somehow I don't think we were given life to be wasting the majority of our time doing things we would rather not be doing to appease the system of wages, tax and interest.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Shuster likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe you could tell others to duck, too.

Shuster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.