Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

If it has judges, it's not a sport

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maxvintage, Feb 11, 2018.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I would guess that as soon as the first two guys in the history of the world knew how to ski, one of them said, "Bet you can't beat me to the bottom of the hill." If there's speed involved, there's always competition.

2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I agree because without judges Rhythmic Gymnastics is just someone rolling around waving colorful strings.

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    No, but there should be beer involved

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    To me, the only true sports are only ones I am participating in, otherwise it is just entertainment. The same goes for other athletes. They are participating in their sport, but if you are on the sidelines watching, then it again is only entertainment. Gymnastics is a great example. Those participants are true athletes and go through training just as much as a marathon runner or a football player. How the winner is selected is somewhat determined by the organizer's rules of that sport ... the clock, the line, the scorecard.

5. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    As a league bowler, I'll call it a sport, in the sense that it is a game with some degree of physical skill involved. If you watched me bowl, you could argue the physical skill part, though. And that would be easily understandable. But that may just be the beer that's involved. :)

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm trying really hard to understand what difference it makes? Of all the inequities I've ever seen...calling a healthy competition between humans a "sport" ain't one.

7. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    DWTS should be on ESPN.

8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    This is a great discussion so long as no one take it too seriously. It was either 8, 12 or maybe 16 years ago, but during a figure skating competition one of the commentators suggested that one of the skaters might have gotten a better score if they had smiled. If you somehow get points for smiling (and let's add makeup and the outfit), then I have trouble taking it as seriously as some other sports. At the time I figured the commentator just made a stupid offhand comment that had not merit, but I remembered it. There are those advocating that video gaming and ballroom dancing be added as olympic sports. Then can chess and checkers be far behind? Hard to keep ballroom dancing out if synchronised swimming and ice dancing are sports.

After 2000+ years of debate, we cannot define what is art. Same probably goes to sport: can it be as easy as any activity that results in a winner?

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...have-video-games-in-the-2024-olympics-w515632

http://dancecompreview.com/will-dancesport-be-in-the-2020-olympic-games-10-reasons-to-consider/

maxvintage likes this.
  9. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Weaning myself from this thread.

william tele likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Maybe the terms: "athlete", "sport" and "competition" get confused and mired during discussions. To me they are separate things. Is the barstool racer an athlete participating in a sport that has competitions? Is the Pinball wizard an athlete participating in a sport that is competing against a machine? Is the chess player competing in a sport? Is the airplane racer an athlete competing in a sport? Is the hot dog eating competitor an athlete in a sport? Is underwater basket weaving a sport?

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    If it has judges, it's not a sport

This is a quality hot take.

maxvintage likes this.
  12. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Like I said before, what anyone calls it has absolutely no bearing on anything. If someone wants to call it a hobby, a game, a sport or contest...affects me in no way possible. I don't worry about who calls themselves an "athlete" either. Athletes are secure in calling themselves as such and most of us are fully aware that being an athlete requires some sort of physical skill...

Obsessed likes this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    My daughter does ballet at what's becoming a pretty high level. Incredible athleticism required. In her case, it's an art, not a sport. There are auditions, but she doesn't enter competitions where a winner is announced. I'm happy to call her an athlete, and say ballet not a sport.

Games have rules, and the outcomes may depend on how the rules are enforced, but someone else made the key point: you can play baseball, basketball, football, soccer, volleyball, etc without a ref or judge. You can have rules without a judge. Kids do it all the time. You can have a ski race without a judge. There is nothing at all subjective about who scored the most points. Nobody wins a baseball game because their double play form was better.

I've never seen a group of kids organize their own gymnastics tournament: they can't, because someone has to judge.

I argued before that it might be a completely worthwhile thing, wonderful to watch, but if a judge is holding up a score to determine the winner, it's not a sport. Like my daughter's ballet, it might demand tremendous athleticism, but if it just by subjective aesthetic criteria it's a different ballgame altogether, as it were, pun intended. Figure skating? Diving? Gymnastics? Call them art forms, maybe.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    etype likes this.
  14. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I’m with OP.

Now, the real question: Is this a Telecaster?

9BA97E08-5380-4E15-A47C-19C4854F534F-481-00000048E9C7BAC6.JPG

william tele likes this.
  15. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    From the nut down. From the nut up it's just a sail...

16. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    So, if competitions in figure skating, diving and gymnastics are not worthy of being called a sport...then are you OK with calling ballet a hobby?

17. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Sure, if you do it as a hobby. Why not?

18. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    Michigan
    Judging is a sport!:)

Jupiter likes this.
  19. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Tears include NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, and so on. Have you ever seen those wimpy little crybabies bawling their eyes out after losing the final game of the championship? Pathetic, I tell you. Pathetic.

And this is Usain Bolt in tears after failing to finish in his last relay race. What a baby.

Yep. :lol:

20. maxvintage

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

Depends on how athletic it is. Hunting and fishing maybe. I'd call darts and falconry and beer pong games or competitions, not sports.

Great thing about english is its HUGE vocabulary

FenderLover likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.