Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

If I ever got a custom guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by logankolarick, Oct 5, 2017.

1. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I like Fenders. I like telecasters. I know fender isn't the only company that makes a good Tele. However it almost feels like sacrilege TO ME to buy a fender guitar that isn't made by fender. (If you don't feel like that it's okay. I know suhr, tom anderson, and the likes are great)

With that being said, If I was going to get a guitar custom built for me I would want it reminiscent of a Fender, but something Fender would never put out.

I'd probably go with Revelator guitars, because they make really great instruments and I met them at NAMM and they're great people.

I typed in all my criteria into the magical google and it shot back with exactly the guitar I had in my head. (Someone already thought of it). I wanted a semi hollow jazz master body with tele components and a bigsby.

I think it looks awesome! I'd get it in nitrocellulose black with binding around the body and around the f hole. Tele neck with a Slight v shape, maple board, body made of paulownia.

Anyways, there is my mythical "maybe one day" guitar idea. What would you get?

Attached Files:

richiek65 and teletimetx like this.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Probably a Ron Kirn "pinecaster" with a 24 3/4" scale, wide/fat profile, rosewood board neck. Never held a Ron Kirn in my hands, but I hear so much about him (here and other places) and his meticulous attention to detail, that I would at the very least have to talk to him about building one for me.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    For my 50th birthday, my wife wanted to buy me a guitar. We decided on a custom guitar from Apollo Guitars, built by TDPRI member John Kingma. Via email, John and I worked out all the details of what I wanted, and I didn't see anything until the night of my birthday.

Kauri body. Mahogany neck. Simple layout on a unique Tele-ish body. The HB-P90 combination is awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Breathtaking!...especially like the humbucker/ P90 combination....cool take on a Tele-ish body.

5. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

how about a non Fender guitar made by Fender?
    Leo Fender that is...G&L guitars aren't sacrilege but a blessing...love my Legacy Strat...

that custom looks lovely kelnet...

logankolarick likes this.

6. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    Tele body
    Satan black
    Black double binding (gloss)
    Black single ply pickguard (gloss)
    Coverless neck pup
    Black hardware
    Satan black neck and headstock
    Gloss black headstock graphics
    Ebony board
    Black dot inlays
    White dot side markers

7. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.

8. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    I own 3 kirns. They are all great. Better than any Fender Ive played including a $4k strat. 4th is coming next year. Thinline. I was going to get a masterbuilt but a kirn is way cheaper and so are most customs. There is nothing like having a guitar built, picking each detail and seeing the process and talking to the builder. Picking exactly what you want and making it your own is fun and addictive. But you gotta keep them. Custom guitars with unpopular specs are a hard sell. I will never sell mine. Fenders hold their value a bit better, but the customs and masterbuilts start a lot higher so it kinda evens out. I still want one more kirn strat and then I will be done.

Heres the one I specd:
    Mahogany body, flame maple cap, flame maple neck, brazilian board, lollar imperials, schallers and a gotoh bridge. Its a strat les paul thing. Killer tone.

The thinline is another dream guitar, swamp ash with trans white finish, flame maple neck, macassar fret board and tortoise shell p/g with keystones.

Attached Files:

9. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    I believe I've said this before, but that is one gorgeous guitar!

10. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt you'd have trouble selling a pre-owned Kirn in the classified section on this site unpopular specs or not ...Ron is a revered god

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    [​IMG]

logankolarick and titan uranus like this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My ASAT is just a tool. Strictly secular!

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Yeah, that shape is John's take on a Tele. I like that it feels familiar and yet not a direct copy.

logankolarick and Toto'sDad like this.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Great looking guitar Kelnet, you must be doing something right at home!

logankolarick and kelnet like this.

15. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    I agree!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.