Identifying an old Tele body

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by buddyboy, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:53 AM.

1. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

I've owned this body for a number of years and I'd like to try and determine exactly what it is and whether it was made by Fender.

It was stripped years before I owned it. It appears to be a two piece ash body. It would make about an 8 lbs. guitar. There is no channel route, which, if it is a Fender body, places it after 1968. It appears to have the classic earlier "Tele notch". The control cavity route seems a bit odd as it has two router indentations in the sides.

There is one faint marking in the neck pocket. This is the one clue that tells me it may, in fact, be a genuine Fender body. The number font ("022 ...) seems to match the font used on an American Fender Strat, judging from the pic I found online of it's neck pocket (See photo below).

Anyway, if anyone can chime in with their opinions on this body, I would be grateful.

2. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Couldn't tell you anything. It's a nice body....time to build her out!

3. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

If you're thinking that the typeface match on the numbers suggests that a similar stamp was used - the number height on yours is about the same as one of the neck screw holes. The stamp on the Strat has numbers about twice that size. Not that it's impossible they had two different stamps, more that it's not the same stamp. That style of digit is very common on number stamps, some of my Japanese guitars have them for example.

4. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster TDPRI Member

Have you contacted fender with the serial number?

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

A standard type telecaster body is really hard to identify the old vintage stuff router hump lip overhang dowels etc is easy enough to identify even that kind of thing can be reproduced
    It looks like 2 badly matched pieces of Ash so at a guess i'd rule out Fender still nice though

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.