Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ideas for p-rail-quarter pounder-quarter pounder wiring on Triple tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Vognell, Oct 12, 2018 at 7:07 PM.

1. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    May be getting in beyond my depth here.

I have ordered a Seymour Duncan P-rail w/triple shot ring for the bridge position of a Fender Modern Player Triple-Tele. I have a quarter pound strat pup ordered for the bridge, and a quarter-pound tele for the neck. Both quarter pounders are wired to be tapped.

I want to be able to tap the quarter pounders to balance better with the hot-rail selection on the p-rail, with is lower output that either the humbucker or p90 selection.

I would also like to have the tapped quarter pounders on 250K pots. I believe you can use 250K/500K stacked pots for this, though the wiring eludes me. It would be simple to keep everything at 500K, but I am afraid it might get too shrill. I think the untapped quarter pounders might be OK at 500K,

I would love to have one switch that tapped both pickups, and switched to a 250K circuit on the stacked pots. Individual switches for tapping would be cumbersome.

I would also like to have the "seven sound" mod applied https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-seven-sound-stratocaster-1 so that I could do neck and bridge, more like a typical strat. The control plate already has a toggle, so that part should be easy, I think.

Or should I just stick with 500K pots and keep my life less complicated?

Thoughts?

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    You might have some typos in the OP. You list two different pickups as being slated for the bridge. Please take a look at your OP and clarify which position the P-Rail, QP Strat, and QP Tele are going in. Since each pickup on the Triple Tele is a 61 Nocaster, it makes sense that you might be using the Tele QP in either the bridge, middle, or neck; and of course the QP strat could be in either middle of neck. And if you got a different bridge plate the P-Rails could be in any of the positions - I'm guessing it's going in the bridge position with a shorty tele bridge and the Strat QP is going in the middle?

Sounds like you could have a very interesting setup here, but a little clarity would help with respondents.

Cheers,
    Rex

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Get a stacked tone knob and wire the Armstrong mod on all the original pickups.
    I haven't modded mine with this yet, but it's what in store for it when I get the other projects ahead of it completed.
    I do this mod on all my player Strats (SSS blender into HSH). I've done the 7-tone Strat mod before and it was a waste of time for me. The Armstrong Blender though is very useful.

[​IMG]

4. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Not that I see. The P-rail contains a hot rail single coil and a p-90. The both can be selected in series or parallel, or one at a time. I want to be able to switch to a 250K circuit just when using the hot-rail option.

5. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks... that looks helpful.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Use a 3PDT or 4PDT switch for the toggle. It connects the taps and a resistor in parallel to the 500K pot to make it 250K. Use a switch pot to turn on/off the Neck p-up...Is that ok? That can also be set up to give 250K for the Bridge Rail or not depending what you want.

7. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    maybe....it would be optimal to just switch be able to just create a second circuit with middle and neck tapped, and everything running 250K with a single flip of the switch. I've also reached out to Seymour Duncan. I can follow a wiring diagram, but am not savvy in designing new ones.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    So, for every position 250K ? A 4PDT or 3PDT can be used. 2 terminal sets connect the taps to the 5 way instead of full. 1 connects the resistor. You can use a toggle or that p/p switch thats on a Baja.

9. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks... Sounds like a good place to start.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.