Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ibanez TSA (Tube Screamer Amplifer) Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Allthesound, Feb 29, 2012.

1. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I've been debating the TSA 15 or Peavey Classic 20mh

2. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Those TAD 6L6GC were a close fit with my bias probe !
    GE 5751 in v-1 Ampex 12AX7 in v-2 and a sweet 12AT7 in v-3 the phase inverter
    Now it's sounding right as rain !

All the power of a blackface Bassman with mids control and a whole lotta gain on tap !!!

The Tad 6L6GC STR woke up the beast in this amp !!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018

3. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    So a tube change really upped the volume?

4. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Absolutely !
    The long bottle Tube Amp Doctor 6L6GC STR tubes rocketed the volume, headroom and tightened the bottom BIG time !

To be honest I didn't see what the cheapo short bottle tubes bias was set at, I just pulled them and put the TAD's in then set the bias.

Probably set pretty cold and so.... who knows the Bias adjustment may have been 75% of the upgrade.

I've set bias on amps like the DRRI from the factory and it became a new creation !
    Yeah it makes a huge difference.

And I wanted to make sure the TAD tubes were ok after some rough handling and obviously they are fine.

5. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    That’s awesome because I think I like the sound of 6L6(or 6V6) amps better than EL84.

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    ...I wonder how a tube swap would impact my 5 watter.

7. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I've never play the 5 watt version, however i am convinced that over many years of messing with tube amps , better tubes = better tone.

8. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I have come to one conclusion, this amp in it's simplest for (no boost or Tube screamer) is about as sweet a sounding 6L6GC tube amp as you'll find.

The 5751 in V-1 , a quality 12AX7 in V-2 and a good old USA made 12AT7 in V-3 for the phase inverter along with a very strong set of 6L6GC's biased up at 36.5ma each makes for a sweet singing amp !

I will at some point post a youtube of this amp to show what it is capable of.

Keep in mind that my boost and TS comments should be taken with this in mind, My Route 66 Compressor is always on ! and already adds a big clean boost.
    Before you think I'm adding a crutch to this amp, I also ran the same rig with my Silverface Super Reverb, My Bassman heads, my Clark Piedmont etc.......

9. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Hmm, looks like the 15 and 30 watt versions are more complex than my little 5-watter.

Mine's got a volume and color knob for the clean section, then the standard 3 knob Tube screamer layout for the distortion.

Anyway, I've found that there's a weird hissing behind chords that I play when I have color set at 50% or higher... it's about at 25% right now, and I only get a hint of hissing when I play 2 specific notes around the 7th fret. Any idea what would cause that?

10. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    The obvious question would be, does the guitar cause it?
    Have you tried other amps ?

11. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    It does it with all of my guitars, but not on my other amp.

It's very possible that I'm just pushing the amp too hard. Like I said, when I get the color dialed down to about a quarter, it goes away. I'll turn the volume up, get it to break up, and this hissing sound happens when I'm playing chords at max volume and Max color.

I don't think it's electrical interference, since our house is fairly new...but, I do get a nice flanger effect when my delay pedal is on, the ceiling fan is on, and I've got my phone propped up on top of the amp to display tablature (I thought my pedal was faulty until it cooled down and I could turn the fan off)

12. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Nothing funner than chasing quirky amp noise ! LOL
    Over the years the culprits have been many different things, Large ceramic disc capacitors, cables poorly grounded outlets, tubes and on and on !!!
    One time a Bandmaster Reverb I owned starting picking up a local radio station and I could hear a guy preaching over my amp LOL, That was a bad guitar cord.

I use my phone to listen to Pandora while playing along and if the phone receives a text or call I can hear it through the amp even though its a foot or more away.

I have yet to mess with the 5 watt version but I do dig the retro Jetsons looking version.
    I guess if you can dial it out then that may have to be your solution.

13. Boomhauer

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Mine actually predates the Jetsons-looking one, and is just a white tolex box. I'm not too worried about the hissing, just thought it was a little weird and I wondered if the bigger versions had the same thing.

I'm getting some wonderful sounds out of that amp by diming the volume, quartering the color, and dialing my guitar volume down to 1 or 2... though, that's probably got more to do with the import-grade prewired control plate I installed.

14. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I have owned the 15 and the 30 and had no issues with extraneous noise

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.