Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ibanez TSA (Tube Screamer Amplifer) Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Allthesound, Feb 29, 2012.

1. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest

2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Last spring, I bought a NOS TSA5 from a local shop. It's the older version, with white tolex.

3. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    It would be nice if the 30 had an output selector, however the 15H club has comments that the 15 is not nearly as loud as other 15 watt amps (Blues Jr, AC15)
    Maybe the 30 is not as loud as other 30's? Anyone experience that?

4. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Changing tubes+BIAS and speakers may help the 15 to get very next to 15...

5. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Honestly I felt like my TSA15 cranked was quieter than my old Super Champ XD on like 5

Sounded good though. My coworker has one where he swapped out all the tubes and built his own cabinet with a Weber Blue Dog and that is a no problem at all stage amp

6. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Ha. I've heard that about both the TSA15 and the little 5-watter. I played the 15 and thought it seemed quiet. For me, however, that would almost be a plus - I play pretty much exclusively at moderate volumes at home. The concept of this amp has always kind of appealed to me, but I didn't fall in love with the sound when I tried one, and while they aren't "expensive" for what they are, there's better options (I think) at the same price.

7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I put a TSA15H on layaway at a pawn shop just the other day. At $148.00 it was too cheap to pass up.

They also have an Egnater Tweaker combo that I was looking very seriously at. I had seen the Ibanez there before, but it was way under my radar. I didn't even realize that it was a tube amp!

Having too many combos already, as well as a 1X12 cab available, started to make the head more attractive than the Tweaker combo. It was hard to pass on the Tweaker!

The price drop on the Ibanez is what finally caused me to actually take a look at it. I really liked what I heard when I played it, and then read good reviews of it as well.

Anyway, I hope to have it home here with me soon!

alainvey likes this.

8. BluesHobbit

BluesHobbit TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Denver, Co.
    I recently got a TSA30 head. I've replaced the coupling caps in the output with better quality TAD's & changed the tone stack too.A few tube changes to go with that to quiet the hiss. I'm getting a 2X10" speaker cab from "Sub-Z" today, putting a couple of Fender 1030's in it tonight. I'm sure it will be a sweeet sound.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

9. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I've had my TSA15H for almost a week now, and while I haven't had a lot of free time to play with it, so far I love it for it's clean, fenderish tones. That's what I bought it for.

I do want to try some assorted dirt pedals with it just for grins. I don't "need" it for dirt. I have other amps for dirt.

A have an AB box so I can try switching between them. At some point I want to try a wet/dry setup with them!

10. BluesHobbit

BluesHobbit TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Denver, Co.
    I enjoy the Boost & the TS9 that's built into the amp, but I also have a SD Twin Tube Classic that works well with the amp

11. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I have some drives that I like to switch out, or stack with a TS. For a lightweight, option for an impromptu blues jam, this amp would work fine as a grab and go with no pedals.

I'm sure I will use it that way on occasion. I got it for it's reputation for clean headroom, but that sure isn't all it will do.

I also have a Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo, but it isn't designed for pristine clean headroom, or even "traditional" blackface or silverface Fender tone.

It's said to sound more like an early 60s brownface Bassman, but I've never owned one of them, so I can't say.

I do love it.

12. nacho mpra

nacho mpra TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Madrid
    Hey!! Finally got my TSA15H yesterday. Now I'm designing a 1x12 cab for it, any recommendations for the speaker? I was thinking about a Jensen P12Q to keep the Fenderish vibe.

13. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Welcome to the club! Can't help with the speaker, other than to tell you it has sounded good with every speaker I've hooked it up to.

nacho mpra likes this.

14. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    TSA30H on its way !
    I have an Egnater Rebel cab and a no name cab with a Weber Silver bell on its way for this amp.
    My guess is the two 1x12 cabs are gonna sound pretty nice with this amp !

I'm excited as i've owned the 15 in the past so I can only imagine how cool the 30 will sound.

I have a couple nice old USA matched sets of 6L6GC's awaiting.

OK I just payed the guy today and it won't ship till Monday, getting ramped up a bit too soon eh ?

emisilly likes this.

15. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I'll be using a bias probe to check bias (Tomorrow) when the 30 shows up.
    What have you guys been setting the bias at on these ? I hear like most manufactures they are set pretty cold from the factory.

I'll be swapping power tube and adding a 5751 to V-1

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've been tempted by these amplifiers for a few years, but have not made the jump. Yet. I'm still tempted.

17. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    If you keep an eye out on some of the resell web sites you can find some true bargains on these.
    My new TSA30H was 270 bucks shipped from Reverb.com !

The 15 I had a few years back I bought from Gear man dude (the you tube guy) and he had already done tube swaps on it.
    It sounded great with the JJ 6V6GT's and Tung-sol reissue 12AX7's, I believe it was around 200 bucks shipped also.

They are out there for a steal occasionally

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018

18. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I unpacked the TSA30H yesterday and plugged into my two 1x12 cabs.
    Without any tube swaps or bias checks I was able to easily dial in some spanky tight fender bassman like tones (blackface head).
    and for 30 watts this dude is loud !
    Either tonight or over the weekend I intend to try a 12AT7 for the phase inverter and swap V-1 and V-2 with a 5751 and an excellent RCA7025.
    I have some nice 6L6GC waiting to try out also, not sure yet how accessible the bias pot is.

19. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2013
    Upstate NY
    What was your impression of the TSA 15H output? I've read it is not a loud 15 watts and can't hold up even in a small gig with a moderate drummer, but I haven't had the opportunity to test drive one in that situation.

20. blues bondsman

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    I had read that same thing a few times.
    It is rated at 15 watts with two 6V6 power tube so ...... a DRRI is 20 to 22 watts
    As for me personally it was plenty loud using my route 66 comp side as a clean boost.
    and since I use that pedal as always on it may not be a fair account of what the amp is able to achieve.
    I do think My Egnater Tweaker 15 was a touch louder so..........
    If I was looking for a bargain 6V6GT amp I would probably go back to a tweaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.