Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ibanez TSA (Tube Screamer Amplifer) Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Allthesound, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I didn't see one here so figured why not. Share your thoughts , experiences , mods or other useful info about these amazing little amps.

I have had the itch to trade in my Vox Vt50 and get a low powered tube amp. I have been looking for a few weeks and looked at Egnater Tweaker , a Vox Ac15c1 , Vox Night Train, Blackstar HT5, and a Blues jr. Each one of them had something good to offer but i had to pick only one , so back i went to GC and a couple other local music shops and pawn shops.

I spent the better part of the day narrowing my choices down. What i did decide was as much as i loved the sound of the Vox Ac15 i really wanted a head only, i didnt want the amp to be married to a cab forever and i also really wanted a FX loop. so the AC15 and blues jr were off the list, I really wanted at least 15 watts so the HT-5 was cut. There was just something missing to my ears with the Night train so i bumped that as well . I guess i was pretty settled on the Tweaker went back tried it again was ready to buy it at GC . The sales guy said let me go see if i have one in the back , when he returned empty handed he offered to sell me the floor demo unit. I wasn't really thrilled with the idea of paying full price for a "used" amp and he wasn't willing to budge so i spun foot and left.

I knew another place the next town over that had them for a few $$ more so there i headed to get me a tweaker.

When i walked through the door the owner and his sales guys were in the middle of the store setting up some TSA combos they had just got in. I walked over to see this unusual white combo saw it was Ibanez! Ibanez makes amps? i asked the guy, He said you wont believe how good they sound this little amp is great. In plugged my tele and my jaw nearly dropped. this thing has some studio class cleans with great headroom for its size.
    The i hit the TS section , ohh yeah that sounds like a tube screamer sweet! it has a FX loop! cool , it uses 6V6GT like the Tweaker it has Triode / Pentode modes to run at 5 watt or 15 watt bonus the Tweaker does not have that feature. It has a optional foot switch which is great .well built and i got it for 20 instead of 29. It well worth having to switch to another channel (though not really) but it sounds like you have and i guess thats what counts. hit that boost switch to up the signal 6db for solos , real nice feature of the pedal. Speaker jacks are well laid out with many config choices. No reverb? np i'll use my Lexicon.

Honestly I fell in love with this amp right away and TSA15H went home with me that day and I forgot all about the Tweaker. I feel like i made the right choice and am happy i stumbled on this Jem (no pun intended :D). for the price it cant be beat. I would have liked to see some features like a mid's control on the amp side and maybe a separate gain for the amp side. The 30 watt version has them but i dont think they make a head only version hopefully that will be coming with a power attenuator which the 30 watt combo seems to currently lack.

I had a old Randall combo with a older model Celestion 70/80 12 inch speaker the amp had fried so i fit a piece of mahogany in its place and cut out for a 1U rack device and slapped in my Lexicon MPX 110 , now i just need a foot switch for the MPX to engage its bypass.

I used the $100 bucks i saved over the Tweaker and bought a Fender Mustang 1 just to have something to plug headphones into . Life is good.

Here is a picture of my little rig. I'm loving it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

2. Knobby

Knobby TDPRI Member

May 20, 2003
    Portland Oregon
    I keep an eye out for used ones, they never seem to show up!

3. K Scott

K Scott TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ordered mine yesterday. Anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

4. Allthesound

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Very cool! did you order the head or combo? Let us know what you think of it when you have a chance to mess around with it.

5. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Jan 3, 2011
    Texas
    Those look very cool and I like the pricing. Aren't they coming out with a 30 watt version too?

6. K Scott

K Scott TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I got the head. I will be running it through a Marshall 4X10 from the 80's. I will definitely post after I mess with it a bit!

7. Allthesound

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    The 30 watt combo is out now. No word on a 30 watt head yet.

8. K Scott

K Scott TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    So my TSA15h arrived today. I've only spent about 45 minutes with it, but the general feeling is that I love it, and it's everything I wanted it to be. As I said before, I'm running it through an old Marshall 4X10. Its punchy. Its warm. It sounds tube. It doesn't piss off the neighbors. Been using mostly the 5w setting.
    One thing I notice though is hum, especially on the TS side. The TS sounds great, really, but as you add volume and/or overdrive, i notice the cycle hum a lot. Maybe this is because my Sovtek Mig 50 ear destroyer has been my only amp for a long time, and I practice with it at about .5 -1. Anyone have thoughts on this? Am I just not used to lower wattage amps?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

9. snshami

snshami TDPRI Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Melbourne Australia
    That would have to be the ideal amp. I love my TSA15 Combo but the extra features would just make it sublime.

10. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Jul 27, 2006
    offline and IRL

11. Allthesound

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Well no i did look and saw that one and also noticed it was TSA15H specific. I didn't see a general all inclusive TSA club and figured one might be useful. I can imagine now the 30 watt is out someone may decide to make a TSA30 specific club and so on.

Just like there is a Fender Mustang I & II club and a Mustang III club , Vox Night Train club and a Little Night Train club and so on and so on.

I certainly wasn't being lazy or trying to step on any toes. If anything i was trying to be practical.

PS I wouldn't go piss in your club.

12. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Jul 27, 2006
    offline and IRL
    Geez. I was JOKING...
    Obviously a smile doesn't email well. Never mind.

13. Allthesound

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Its all good Dave_O No harm no foul ;-)

14. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I really enjoy mine.

15. Allthesound

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    Cool which one do you have? Are you using any pedals with it? Im trying to decide what the best reverb pedal would be to use with mine. Im kinda leaning toward the holy grail or the Boss RV5

16. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have the head and cab. I have the green footswitch to go with it. I don't use pedals with it, if I did it would probably be a Wah/Volume and a reverb.

I don't have a reverb pedal yet, but the RV5 is one of the ones on the "short list".

17. K Scott

K Scott TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Try a Cathedral - I love mine, and its worth the extra money over the grail, and contains the grail as well.

18. Allthesound

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I had not heard of that one , i just checked out of info looks very interesting thanks!.

19. IM4Tone

IM4Tone TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2012
    PA
    Love my TSA15H. Used with a Lopoline vertical slant 2X12 w/ Celestion V30 and G12H + optional footswitch. 'Must have' reverb/delay pedal and I currently use a Behringer DR400.

Considering a TSA30 but may hold off to see if a Head version is soon released. I only wish the boost function was adjustable (with a knob on the rear of the amp) from 0-15db so that solos could be made to stand out better, especially single note solos.

The lack of reverb is easily fixed w/ a rvb/dly pedal sitting on the cab, which I place "in-the-loop" and leave on continually.

Great value! Have had it over a year now.

20. Allthesound

Oct 21, 2011
    Connecticut
    I bet it sounds amazing with that speaker combo! I havent heard any official talk yet on a TSA30H ,

I did get a chance to see and hear the TSA30 combo, its quite nice. though there are not as many speaker jacks as the TSA15H and no wattage selector. Hopefully a head version will have them as well as a adjustable boost feature. For the time being a boost pedal could work out for ya.
    Good to hear yours has held up for a year, they have not been out to long but i haven't seen any real chatter about reliability issues which is encouraging.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.