Ibanez Musician what kind of music?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Twang Deluxe, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what kind of music you associate with late 70s Ibanez Musician guitars.

Hard Rock, Funk, 80s Pop?

Thank you

2. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

It was a Alembic wanna be so I guess they were going for a Grateful Dead kind of thing but they were great guitars that you could play anything on like any other great guitars. They were rather heavy if I remember correctly.

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

NWinther and Twang Deluxe like this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's what I remember as well - maybe not so much Grateful Dead outside of the cosmetics but more of that "jack of all trades for sidemen/studio players" kind of thing, at least for the ones with those original plastic-covered pickups. As they move to their standard humbuckers I suppose they became more of a general rock/pop guitar. I think the basses were more popular than the guitars.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  5. Twang Deluxe

Nice Pic ;)

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If you go to Ibanez users on Wikipedia, there's an extensive list of players, from Steve Miller to Vai to Satriani, to Phil Collen, and jazz players, etc. I guess I usually don't associate a particular brand with only one or two musical styles. They're just "tools".

savofenno and Twang Deluxe like this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Grateful Dead UC SB 1978.jpg
    Check out what Bobby's playing here.

nojazzhere and Twang Deluxe like this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Any really. I'm sure even country bands used them.

savofenno and Twang Deluxe like this.
  9. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

Scott Murawski of Max Creek! Always loved that guitar...

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think of jazz or fusion jazz.

I sold Ibanez guitars from 81-84 and the Musician (Ibanez) guys usually loved all the active EQ potential and phase switches and all the controls for very stylized jazz or clear tones. They were usually technical musicians. I don't ever recall taking one on trade or writing a service ticket for a metalhead or hard rocker with one of those instruments.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  11. Twang Deluxe

Thank you all for your answers and the nice pics.

I never liked Ibanez because i associated the brand mostly with metal players and awful music. I rarely played my Musician, so it spent nearly 20 years in its case under my bed. But in the last weeks i rediscovered it and I'm learning to appreciate it more and more, after I played some guitars that were much more expensive and of poor quality

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You need to check your information sources a bit more carefully...

[​IMG]

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

No to mention:

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

14. dodona

dodona TDPRI Member

beside that collection of expensive endorsers only beginners played ibanezes. especially here in europe ibanezes were rather inexpensive bargain for beginners.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  15. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

The Musician model basses were played by both Sting circa Zenyatta Mondata, and Pat Benatar's bassist, Roger Capps.

I can't think of anyone I've seen play a Musician model guitar. I always thought the guitar that Ed Wynne of the English psychedelic band Ozric Tentacles was a Musician, but I was eventually informed that it's actually an Artist model.

As for other model Ibanez guitars, Allan Holdsworth had a signature model (basically a single pickup Roadstar), which was weird, because it seemed like it wasn't out very long before he started playing Steinbergers.

Steve Lukather also had a signature model (once again, a slightly dressed up Roadstar), but there again, the only time I really remember seeing him playing Ibanez guitars was in their ads. In the videos, he was usually seen playing either a Strat or a Les Paul. After a couple years, it seemed like he was mostly seen playing Valley Arts guitars (and of course, now he plays Music Man).

Bob Weir had several custom made guitars that I've seen referred to as the "Cowboy Specials", which were kinda similar to the Artist models, but different. They generally had "tree of life" inlays on the fingerboard, fancy inlays on the body, and souped up electronics, with the EQ, preamp, etc. That's what he used from around 76 or so straight through to around 82, then in 83, he started playing those Modulus Graphite guitars.

Bobby Cochran, who played in Bobby And The Midnights, Weir's early 80's "moonlighting" band, also had a Cowboy Special guitar, which I believe had either three or four humbuckers on it.

Phil Collen played Ibanez Destroyers when he was in the band Girl and when he first joined Def Leppard. The guitar he's playing in the Pyromania videos is a guitar they built for him in Japan, with three humbuckers and a Kahler tremolo. For awhile, I believe they actually offered that model, but I don't think I've ever actually seen one.

Of course, you've got Paul Stanley and his PS-10. He said once that the only thing the PS-10 had in common with the Iceman was the silhouette. Yeha, ok, that's like saying all a Les Paul Standard and Les Paul Custom have in common is a silhouette. Yeah, whatever, Paul. All he really did was take an existing model, and had them put Gibson style electronics in it. On the Dynasty tour, he had a "shattered mirror" version of the guitar, though I read an interview with the guy who did the work on it who said he had to actually physically cut each piece of mirror individually, because actually shatttering a mirror only produced a whole lot of glass dust and shards too small to use.

Mike Rutherford used an Artist model sometimes in the early late 70's and early 80's. I think he's playing one in the Many Too Many video.

And Denny Laine had a doubleneck Ibanez that he used when he was in Wings. You can see him playing it in the Rockshow film. Apparently Ibanez built a run of these doublenecks that were obviously inspired by John McLaughlin's custom built Rex Bogue doubleneck, with the tree of life inlays, etc. Interestingly, Laine uses it on every song that he plays electric guitar on in the concert film, even when he doesn't actually need to switch necks.

And Rik Emmett of Triumph also had an Ibanez doubleneck, was more like the "bog standard" version of the more deluxe instrument that Laine played.

16. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

My Ibanez Musician is a 1982 150FR. Through neck, Ibanez Super 58 pickups with push-push pots for coil splitting.

It sustains well. The pickups are pretty PAFy, and the splits are single coily. I go happily forth and play bluesy stuff and non-heavy rock with it.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very true, but I can see someone who is either young or has no interest in jazz/fusion thinking of Ibanez primarily for their shredder and hair metal guitars - their endorsers in that genre far out-number Benson, Metheny and Sco. Hell, I'm 56 and even I will think of Vai and Satriani when you say "Ibanez" before I think of Benson, Metheny and Sco (who while a long-time endorser but only more recently got a signature model when they retired their MIJ 335-style Artist model)

If I'm remembering correctly Collen's black Pyromania Destroyer had one of the first batch of Kahlers that still say "Patent Pending" and "Dave Story" (the actual inventor who partnered with Kahler to produce the bridges) on it. I vaguely recall Collen saying that by the time they were touring for Pyromania Ibanez had made him a bunch of them with 25.5" scale instead of the 24.75" scale of the original. Ibanez did a production version of the guitar but they used their own proprietary trem bridge as was used on the Roadstar IIs (like that Lukather model you mentioned). I saw one in real life, but didn't play it because the store had it locked up in a glass counter.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Probably not that relevant but Andy Gill from the Gang of Four used an early Ibanez Bob Weir, plus Dave Gedge from the Wedding Present uses Ibanez Semis.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  19. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ibanez makes (or, in some cases, made until recently) lots of other guitars other than the pointies, which would seem a little less alien to those familiar with the pointies than the above jazz boxes.

upload_2019-2-22_18-32-37.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2019-2-22_18-34-59.jpeg

I have a Jet King 2 like the first pic, and it's a dirty rock n' roll machine. The Jet Kings (first two pics) and Talmans (next two) come in a variety of models with different features, and are also popular platforms for mods. All these guitars can be had for decent prices and are perfectly fine after a good set-up. Maybe an electronics upgrade if you're picky.

Twang Deluxe and savofenno like this.
  20. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Wow, elitism much?

savofenno likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.