Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ibanez Artcore: I'd love to hear the story behind this....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 29, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I didn't notice this when I acquired the guitar used, but it looks like someone used a friggin' door hinge to attach this vibrato to the body. I've seen what these vibratos look like new, and this screw pattern and strap button placement is nowhere close. I'm afraid to remove it because I might be stunned when I see what's beneath it, and at my age I don't like surprises. What's interesting is that this guitar comes stock with this vibrato already, so... who knows. It's a fine guitar, so I'm not complaining, but... what the heck?? 22095895_10210543517880121_2313287295998177088_o.jpg

2. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    That's the AFS75T right?
    Odd thing you got there!

3. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I looked at images of other Artcores, they do mount like a door hinge. That looks like a homemade repair.

I wonder if the hole for the strap button was "tore up"? Or is it off center for balance or something?

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    There used to be a lot of complaints about the early Artcores' bigsby's breaking and snapping. This just looks like somebody's honest attempt at fixing it. If it's stable, might even be a better solution than the original.

Zepfan and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    It seems very stable. This guitar has been around since 2002, and a lot can happen in 15 years. I'd never heard of the issues with the early vibrato systems breaking. Good information.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.