I will be starting my first album. any advice welcome.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Marquee Moon, May 15, 2019.

1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon TDPRI Member

Hi guys, I'm starting my first full length album. I'm hiring a drummer and a bassist to play with me. My music is mostly influenced by stuff from the 60s 70s and 80s, post punk,punk, classic rock, psych etc. I've done demos in professional studios but we didn't get to rehearse that much, so it wasnt as tight as I wouldve liked. It was a studio hobby for me. I was alot younger then and my ear just was not as developed as far recording goes. I am trying to do this right and want this turn out as best I can. So any advice from you more experienced fellows would be appreciated.

I am open to using a click track, something I was dead set against when I was in my 20s. My plan is to practice with the drummer until we have the arrangement down, then bring the bass player in. practice until we are tight. then book an 8 hour session to record a handful of songs, mix them. and just do that repeatedly until an albums worth of material is together. The live room is a big one, with booths, and we'll be recording all together. Its protools with vintage equipment(board,mics, amps, compressors etc.)

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    ponce, Danjabellza and 24 track like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Enjoy !! make it fun. I ended up learning all the instruments & wife sings. was in studio yesterday. 10 am to 430 song is done. I think being prepared- when you get there the clock starts & if you know your stuff..its just building blocks. My studio guy has me send my scratch track to him ahead of time & its in pro Tools when i get there..my reference is there..funny yesterday..we didn't refer to it..i was so eager to record again he just used tempo..first did intro..which i usually tie in somehow song strangely with theme of whole song. Then did rhythm to click..then i drummed over it..got the song structure done drums & rhythm..then vocals ..then did bass & then leads...we go right through tho..no goofing around..have a great relationship with the studio & it its a blast..know your material...that will help so much

ScotNL and Marquee Moon like this.
  3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

It sounds like you're pretty on the ball. Get the songs tight before going in. You don't want to be doing loads of takes (not just costing money, but they could start sounding stale after the first few). New strings on guitars (but make sure they're stretched out so they stay in tune), new drum heads. I'd probably avoid new bass string (could be too bright). Check tuning before every take! Go in refreshed, don't drink. Good luck and let use know how it goes!

4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

From what you're saying about your style no click is the way to go. Just track the rhythm section first and get it how you like it. If you're not used to a click don't bother. Not everything has to lock to a grid.

5. bftfender

funny as we post..my rough demo came back pre-mix from yesterday

Marquee Moon likes this.
  6. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

From my recent experience in a studio and having a producer:

Find a voice instructor who teaches performance - get advice on the vocal performance. It’s worthwhile mapping the vocals; on a lyric sheet underline the words you want to bring forward, mark where you want to draw out words and where you want them cut off. Doing that will let you relax and concentrate on the emotion of the words not just how you perform them.

If you’re going to use a click, practice with a click. It may or may not suit a particular song but if you practice it that way first you’ll have an idea of what works.

Plan out your additional guitar parts and any other instruments you may want to throw on.

Send chord charts to the bass player along with simple demos so he or she has idea of what your doing beforehand.

Be over prepared - but be open to ideas in the studio.

Be prepared to spend more time than you thought it would take.

7. bftfender

rough pre mix pro tools, Gibson Nighthawk into jtm45 6l6 fender tranny, leads on jmp50 1987 now 2204 with Gibson SG faded..no pedals, all amp shape.".It's OK"..a song about family loss due to a dui hit & run last Nov,,our family is hurt!

Deebs3, 24 track and Marquee Moon like this.
  8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Don't think too much.

Do your work before you get into the studio (which it sounds like you're doing) and go for feel over technique. Sometimes an 'imperfect' track is the perfect track for the song.

Tune frequently. :)

Good luck. Post mixes when you have them.

- D

Mad Kiwi and Stiles like this.
  9. Marquee Moon

I feel like for some stuff that 80s "on rails" feel would work. But for other stuff no click would be the way to go.

10. Masmus

Masmus TDPRI Member

Don't ask to hear everything played back it will add up to a lot of studio time. A good producer should be able to tell if the material you're working on is recorded well enough to move on or continue working until it's right. Make sure you or someone you trust is up to the job. if you hire someone listen to their work and find out if their approach to recording matches what you are looking for. Have fun but be prepared to always be working on something.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

be critical of what you hear, if its not right , in your mind, its not right, dont be afraid to do multiple takes and choose the best for your songs , the songs come first

Steve 78 likes this.
  12. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

+1 if you're not comfortable with something and you don't fix it, you'll probably hear it every single time you listen back to the album :).

Also, on the last album I recorded, I asked the engineer to split my guitar and record the raw signal as a separate track for re-amping / digital modeller input later. I was really glad I did this but it depends on how much time you want to spend in post-production. (Too much choice can be a problem too).

24 track likes this.
  13. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

excellent, just remember, while tracking various and several instruments, it's not like a gig where we can stretch and have some fun, every note matters. Conflicts will show their ugly face in a NY minute. Good enough is NOT good enough.

Have fun !

14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Have you ever tried playing to a "scratch track?" Like a rough take with just drum/bass just to get the tempo and feel, and use that as a guide to record over? It's kind of like a click track, but not so robotic.

Mad Kiwi and Marquee Moon like this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

remember if you,record your guitar with effects, you cant alter or remove them afterwards, but that all depends on what you are after as well , the whole process is a ton of fun, but this your tunes and you have the final say !

Marquee Moon likes this.
  16. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you're rehearsing with a click track, I wouldn't try recording to one when you're on a timeline. Once the band is tight on its own, don't insert something artificial into the recording process.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    24 track and Marquee Moon like this.
  17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

I'd do the dry DI signal too. It should take but a moment to set up and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. But, it does give you a lot of options later if you are not happy with the recorded amp sounds.

Be hyper critical of the lyrics - in a structural sense. That's where songs really sink or swim, not their profundity. Words with actual meaning landing on the important beats is good. Compare, um, "I foolishly love you" to, I dunno, "Love me fool me too." So, not just where they land but imperative vs simple statement too (in this example). Sorry, it's after midnight and that's the best I could do, but hopefully you get the point.

Pax/
    Dean

18. Marquee Moon

its just going to be guitar into amp, unless i use my amps vibrato or a bit of its spring reverb. I would consider doing a di and reamping though for some stuff. I'll add effects in the mix. Thanks for the input man!

24 track likes this.
  19. Marquee Moon

It's basically two projects. One will be 3 piece with bass drums and guitar. The other will be 2 guitars bass and drums. Nothing fancy.

20. Marquee Moon

thats the thing i dont have a producer. the guy is just an engineer. i would need to hire someone as a producer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.