Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I want to buy a telecaster. Help.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Manly wimp 17, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Manly wimp 17

Manly wimp 17 TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Slovenia
    I want to buy a Fender telecaster. Which model is the best for playing Richie Kotzen's songs? I play mostly blues and alternative rock.

2. DrBlast

DrBlast TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Washington
    This has me laughing uncontrollably. Probably the shortest, and most helpful, thread ever.

esetter, Grux, Wrong-Note Rod and 7 others like this.

3. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    You could also drop a DiMarzio Twang King neck pickup and DiMarzio Chopper T bridge pickup into any Telecaster.

4. ladave

ladave TDPRI Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Might be a little pricey for a first guitar, but at least you won't need to buy any picks.

5. MrYeats

MrYeats TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Texas Coast
    Get a nice Classic Vibe for about $250 or so.

DanDII and AlabamaOutlaw like this.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    The Kotzen Tele is a cool looking, and great sounding guitar.
    I've seen a few used ones around on CL.
    Prices seem to be in the $1,000-1,200 range.

7. Trike12

Trike12 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hanover pa
    For rock, blues and most modern music my Am Standard is pretty hard to beat. That twisted tele pickup is absolutly beautiful imo. The bridge they call a broadcaster not sure of that but with some overdrive she can rock. I roll the tone knob down and I swear I get a humbucker tone from it. They really are very verstile pickups. What the dont seem to excel at for me anyways is the music teles are known for and that is country. No I dont have money for a zman or any other boutique amps that im sure would help but I just dont like my am std for country.

8. Trike12

Trike12 TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hanover pa
    Haha zman I ment dr z . Fishing or gutiars thats my brain in a nut shell.

Evil Funk likes this.

9. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    ;)

... and load it W/DiMarzio's, new pots, new switch (w/a 4way you can have the series/ parallel switching AND a tone knob), a good cap, an electrosocket jack, and your choice of pick guard.

For less than 5 bills you'll have the guitar covered and have enough left over for a good tube amp and maybe a pedal to boot. You could have all the bases covered for the price of a Kotzen. :D

10. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    I first thought Richie Kotzen was actually Chris Cornell and then I remembered that Chris Cornell is dead so that can't be him.

+1 on MrYeats and DanDll suggestions. I played one at GC recently when I was shopping for a bass for my son and found it pretty impressive for the price. The one I picked up was (I'm pretty sure) more like $400, tho.

11. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Based on the kind of music you play, I'd take a hard look at the American Special line. Nice Telecasters with 9.5" radius and jumbo frets. A good no-nonsense, non-gimmicky rock guitar.

Penguinchit likes this.

12. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    If you give us your price range, we can really narrow it down for you.

RadioFM74 likes this.

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    +1!

Piggy Stu and Anode100 like this.

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd start with a decent stock instrument.

The DiMarzio pickups favoured by Mr.Kotzen aren't mandatory.

If you were to buy a Made in Mexico (MIM) Tele, for example, you'd have a decent baseline to add to later on if you decided.

This would be an easier question if we knew how much of your money we were all trying to spend.... :D

Piggy Stu likes this.

15. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    You can buy a tech 21 richie kotzen omg and plug any guitar in it. You'll always sound kotzeny.

leonard d rock and DanDII like this.

16. MrYeats

MrYeats TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Texas Coast

Ebay, Ebay Ebay.....

17. Manly wimp 17

Manly wimp 17 TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Slovenia
    My budget is 550 €. I'm currently working part time at saturdays to save up. I can't work on weekdays because my high school program requires quite the amount of studying.

18. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2015
    Ohio
    You should be going to high school here in America.... you wouldn't have to study at all.

Jerv likes this.

19. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    I play mostly classic rock, classic country, bluegrass and blues. I have a lot of guitars. All that said, most of them are very traditional.

I bought the Ritchie Kotzen Tele last week. WOW!!!!!!!!!! I can't put it down. I had not heard him play until last week. He is a monster for sure!

The obvious answer, as stated already, this is the guitar to get you as close as you can get. If you can swing the price, you can get them new for 1300 -1350 - NO case.

I have a couple Fender Custom Shop Teles that, although different and double the price, are no better than this CIJ Tele.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents on how great a guitar it really is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.