I Want My Money Back... Game of Thrones Spoiler Alert

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, May 20, 2019.

1. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I was disappointed too. But after watching this, I understood a little more what the producers were trying to do. But definitely could have been better.

audiopablo and getbent like this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The way I see it, part of the reason you’re so disappointed is because of all the elapsed time you invested in it.

But I’m so glad that I watched the entire series in the last month and didn’t do it over eight years, or whatever it was.

The way I see it :

You knew Dany was going to be killed either by Jon or by Arya.

Yeah , you could argue that they probably would have killed John immediately but then what ?

Grey Worm is no leader and he’s not that smart.

He knew that Tyrion was doing some kind of flim-flam grift on him with his speech but I think he was kind of done .

Then when the offer of land came up he thought of his own angle - get to the island where my smoking hot dead headless girlfriend came from and maybe I can find another who doesn’t mind I’m missing my thinger-dinger.

Bran was even money Vegas odds so we knew that. ( by the way, if there was a betting category on who is going to end up sitting on the iron throne I wonder if they pay out? Because there ain’t no iron throne. )

Sansa showed her power with breaking the north off for her own.

Jon always had a soft spot for the wildlings after his hot tub in a cave frolic with his red-haired gf, so that was a no-brainer. Besides - what are the watch watching for at this point ?

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I bailed out of the first hour of this series...first showing however long ago that was. I never looked back.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I'm still waiting on the books.

Was kinda hoping they would wrap this cleaner. Looks like they didn't, but I joked about that comet in the sky colliding with the planet and everyone dying.

Heres hoping Martin finishes the books. Ever.

6String69, Torren61 and stnmtthw like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've never watched a single episode, or even a partial one, so I can't say I "feel your pain"......the longest series I watch anymore would be Masterpiece Theater or Masterpiece Mystery.....never disappointed there.
    I'm trying to remember the last long term series I saw, MANY years ago......probably DaVinci's Inquest, an EXCELLENT series from Canada, possibly the BEST written series ever!

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

So much failure in one episode!! Wow. That whole "picking the king" scene felt like an SNL sketch of a GOT episode. What was Grey Worm doing?
    GW: I've got this prisoner who betrayed the queen, and one other one who killed her, and we're real mad at them.
    Everybody: OK, but...we'll all vote right now on who should be the next king.
    GW: Um, ok....
    Everybody: The really creepy kid who has all this spooky power but never does anything with them, and also doesn't give a crap about the real world, let's make him king!
    GW: Um, ok...so should I let this prisoner go? Ok, and he should get to be Veep? Um, ok....

7. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So now, what was the plot point of having Varys sending out the news about Jon to everyone far and wide in the previous episode? This whole ending just feels like they were forced to shoehorn a ton of things in, and were forced to abandon dozens of open plot / sub-plot devices.

RLee77, audiopablo and Torren61 like this.
  8. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I appreciate the plot points of the ending but how we were taken there was a real disservice to the story.

Maybe the lesson here is to wait for the author to finish the story?

I also understand that the two show runners may have had other projects they wanted to move onto. But there’s certainly many other producers who could have taken the helm so this story didn’t have to be so rushed. It sounded like HBO would have funded additional seasons.

I loved this series but this last season was a disappointment.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Torren61 likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I thought the beginning was up to normal standards. Slow, tense, dark, and with the sense at every turn that some main character was about to get killed.

But then w/o warning the tone seemed to change right after Drogon melts the iron throne.

It went into "let's-end-it" mode. There's a reunion of all characters, Grey Worm returns from avenging anarchist back to petulant yes man, there's happy talk around the table, and everybody gets some variation of what they want/deserve.

It was like the ending of one of those romantic comedies that is supposed to be deeper than the others.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Revenge ON the Nerds.

Commodore 64, 7171551 and Wally like this.
  11. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

No question, the most boring episode of the entire GOT series. I really did not care who won, who lost, etc, but come on, make it exciting.

The only really good writing and acting was the dragon.

If I had not been watching in real time I would have FF through much of the tedious scenes that were filled with absolutely useless endless dialogue.

esetter and Torren61 like this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Disappointing finales are really kinda the norm, sadly, because there are a host of expectations among the audience for how things should resolve...and most go unsatisfied because it is impossible to do otherwise.

Remember the last "Seinfeld" episode? :confused:

Torren61 likes this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm going to say that I wanted more, but, that is the way with great characters and long stories... It will be great to have the subsequent John Snow story north of the Wall. I loved the north and the wildings the best... and the dothroaki, so, at least we'll get more about that! And Arya going off to find what is 'west of westoros' is going to make for a good opportunity for a good story... and Sansa is the moderate choice... she keeps her traditional kingdom and maybe we check in on that in a few years.

Dany's intentions and early actions were fantastic and LED to the group trying to 'break the wheel' and figure out what to do. Sansa would not be able to imagine a different way to rule much like my great grandmother could not comprehend how racial equality could work.

I thought that the writers were going to try to make a statement... and they did, they had strong women leaders... but, to have the 'throwback' tyrany of Circe, they had to overthrow that. To focus on the incest of 'royalty' was pointed, and then the mental illness thread with Dany fighting it and being so filled with hubris that she 'knew' what was right...

They went for broke with using the disabled character. The two people who would have been either neglected or killed (the 'other' imp and the disabled) become the power of the kingdom. Maybe that is part of the theme... that we should look for power in others who we'd normally overlook.

I know the dragon flew away with Dany for some purpose and to some place, so there is possibility in that... and the melting of the old ways was good.... and still respecting the value of the story of where they had been. Bran and the Maister will provide the foundation to build toward a future that isn't just domination and control and deceit.

If I was disappointed... I want to be surprised and amazed and to see those greater than myself solve things... I want the world to be one of those 40' Steph Curry effortless jumpers... but, the show is/was close enough to us that I had to identify with the dream Dany had crumble to human failing, to the hard, adult decision John makes that will never feel right, but was 'what was best'... it was just an adult ending when we want simple romanticism (the 'good guy' wins out) and instead, we are left with well meaning, less heroic bureaucrats making 'good policy' to get the water system running again...

Grey Work and the Dothraki are like, 'uhh we like it simple, and back in our own world' and so, they abandon the bewilderment of Westoros....

RLee77, P-Nutz, middy and 2 others like this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

What’s a dragon ?

A reptile ?

Dumber than a bag of hammers. So if he went over to sniff Dany after Jon boy stuck her, he either would’ve thought in his tiny reptile pea brain “this is dead I only eat live prey” or “oh - I’m eating this and the hairy dude right next to it ...”

nosuch, Torren61 and Wally like this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I understand the plot, although not my favorite.... but really? The Unsullied would have taken Snow's head immediately. If the Dragon hadn't reduced him to ash anyway. And Bran? Bran hasn't even been part of the whole thing compared with the other characters. A minor outlier in the plot.
    But what REALLY pissed me off is they off'ed Dani and then completely forgot her. Meanwhile they showed every other character doing basically nothing but going there own ways. No comment of where the Dragon left Dani's body, no scene about that. I would have had him leave her on an island.. and lo and behold nearby are some Dragon eggs!
    So Dani was easily the most important character in 8 years of viewing the show and .. "Stab.....gone"
    John Snow was brain dead stupid the whole show. Never wanted him king. An it showed when it was so easy for Tyrian to convince him to kill Dani 5 minutes after he pledged to support her.
    Way too rushed and not focused on the right things. Terrible job guys...

RLee77, nosuch and Torren61 like this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

I’m telling you - you guys are given this stupid dragon way too much credit/intelligence.

Bran or Sansa were a lock - it was only going to be one of those two - it was never going to be John.

Grey worm is dumb like I said . I can see him immediately killing John but the Dothraki Wouldn’t have had access to him. And every third shot of grey worm he had a confused look on his face. He was mad and wanted vengeance but at the same time he kept thinking of his cutie and maybe he realized he could get to the land of his cutie.

Plus y’all forget all the lighthearted moments there were throughout the show. Especially with Teryan. So none of that stuff was out of character for any of those characters

Torren61 likes this.
  17. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

They should have stretched it out for at least another season if not two, to give Danerys's descent into craziness the proper treatment. I think the way they ended if could have worked if they didn't try to jam it all into 6 episodes. Some things that really bugged me.

1. Bran as king? What did he do for anyone that would warrant that job? Other than telling Jon who his parents really were, he was useless. He better give that Meera Reed a good job, after dragging his butt all over the North.
    2. So the Sansa Stark demands the north rule themselves, but they let another Stark rule the rest of Westeros?
    3. Ok, so Jon goes to the Night's Watch, fine. But, why do they need them anymore? The Night King and the white walkers are gone. Seems like they should disband.
    4. Why did the dragon melt the throne? That was a very random thing for a dragon to do.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

That’s right. Dragon’s are dumb. Actually saying dragons are dumb is dumb. Dragons don’t exist so that Dragon could’ve been the smartest character in the whole freaking show !

So he was thinking I’ll destroy the iron throne and that will screw the Vegas line completely! :lol:

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I tried watching it one time when I was channel surfing and it popped up. After watching it a few minutes a guy killed his own daughter, (but felt really bad about it) and I thought this is 100 percent pure garbage, I could see no entertainment value in it whatsoever. I skipped away from it, and never watched it again, the discussion of the ending reminds me of when I finished playing all the levels of Descent a shoot 'em up game on the computer years ago, and a little sign popped up that said GAME OVER! That was my last computer game too!

Wally likes this.
  20. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Yep. My understanding is the author gave them the general idea of where/how the main characters end up, but not how. Leaving that to inferior writers and you get the rushed, this doesn't makes sense, nonsense we got.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.