I Want A Tele Now!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tubelectron, Jun 10, 2019.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Hello All Tele Owners !

I subscribed in Nov. 2010 when I bought my sole and first Left-Handed Tele MIM Lake Placid Blue, on which I added a third pickup :

[​IMG]

I sold her in 2011 - for the best or the worse : she was "not bad not good" :confused: - and I never returned to a Tele since then. :eek:

Today, I'm considering returning in the Tele world "by the little door". I mean : I want to start reasonable, not going for a costy model at first... Sorry ! :oops:

That Tele would be for Playing Soul, Rhythm'n'Blues, Funk - Think Steve Cropper's tone, for example - or the guitar which plays in that :cool::cool::cool: tune below :

Where I suppose that the guitar played is a Telecaster o_O, but I may be wrong - what's your opinion, hearing that cool tone ?

Being Lefty, I consider :

- The Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe 50s LH :

[​IMG]

- The Fender Player Series Telecaster :

[​IMG]

So what's your advices on these 2 models ?

Considering what I plan to do with a Tele, which one would you prefer ? Or advise me to choose ?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help ! ;););)

-tbln

Attached Files:

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Be sure to know the weight of the Squire if that's important to you. Some of them are really heavy.
    Otherwise a great guitar !

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    Both are excellent candidates. The Squier is easier on the pocketbook and it has a tinted neck, (which I prefer), but the Fender has better pots and switch (which I also prefer).

Otherwise they both sound and play great...

`

4. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

OK : the weight - I did not thought about that :cool:... I thought that Pinewood would at least be like Alder or lighter.

By the way, is Pinewood usually more "resonant" than Alder ? o_O

Well, the wiring isn't an issue for me : I'm used to rewire my instruments that are "Lefty" wired :rolleyes:... A pair of pots and a selector don't cost an arm ! ;)

-tbln

Greggorios and AxemanVR like this.
  5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

As others have said, either would be a good choice. Lot of bang for buck with the Classic Vibe. I don't own one, but I've played a few and they're pretty nice. That said, I prefer the feel of the more substantial neck on the MIA Teles.

horax and tubelectron like this.
  6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

These two guitars might look quite similar, but even though both are probably good, you have to know what you like.

Both could be used for any type of music, but you should play both and pick the one that you like best.

JustABluesGuy and tubelectron like this.
  7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Don't even begin to worry about tonewood and differences. It only exist on the internet anyway , not in the real world. Pine can be both heavy and light. Some of the CV pine bodies Teles are very heavy.
    Alder is usually much more uniform in weight.
    Tone differences , blah !

8. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Yeah, people incline to tone uniformity.

9. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I'll repeat what's already been hinted at:

Just buy the Squier, maybe throw in some better pots and switches after the originals wear out or if you plan to gig. Don't even bother changing pickups unless you have spent some time with the instrument and know it's worth it. Squier guitars, especially the pickups, have improved much over the years. Try it and you'll be impressed.

YMMV? If the Fender appeals to you more, go that route. Otherwise...

10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thanks Guys !

This is a problem : finding Lefties to play and compare is not so easy :confused:... But ideed, I'll try to do my best !

I had 2 Strats : A 2005 Squier Std Strat from Indonesia, bought 2nd hand, and a brand new Fender Std Strat US 2012 - I bought them the same day in 2012 :

[​IMG]

The Squier being intended to be the spare of the Fender, I modded it heavily to match as close as possible the US in setup, equpment and performances, in order to ease instant swap on stage :

[​IMG]

Side to side, once finished. The US finally benefited of the same laminated steel block and arm that I installed on my Squier first, in order to make all things equal :

[​IMG]

Now only one of the two Strats remains... And it is the modded Squier, not the US 2012. The spare outclassed the main. Why ?

- The 2 guitars weighted the same : 3.7kg.
    - The body of the US is Alder, while the body of the Squier is Agathis.
    - both have a maple neck and a rosewood board.
    - Strings used were Ernie Ball LT Top Hvy Btm 10-52 on both.

The Squier sounded warmer and deeper than the US, which conversely was bright and mid-scooped, with quite discrete bass, while both guitars had exactly the same electronics.

The tonal difference was obvious, despite the same playability - and I'm not a cork sniffer, trust me...

Acoustically speaking, that is to say played unplugged, the Squier Std Strat was much more resonant and louder than the Fender US 2012. So I suspected the wood to held some responsibilities, all other parameters being equal as far as possible...

So I decided to swap the 2 pickguards between the 2 instrument, in order to see if "the tone would follow the pickguard" or not.

Guess what : no changes. The Squier kept her warm tone and the Fender her thin tone...

Verdict : yes, the wood has more or less an influence on tone, despite having same density - at least between my 2 Strats here - and the tonal difference was more than noticeable.

I wouldn't draw a generalization nor a rule about that, of course, but this experience conducted in good faith is conclusive enough to show that wood may influence tone in a way or another, all parameters being equal otherwise.

-tbln

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

That's ok , you are much more clever than me , or more experienced.....
    Why do you ask questions online ?

12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

I'd get the squire for the 3 saddle bridge. Just be aware the neck is kind of small.

If you can't get a good clean sound out of it, look at your amp

tubelectron likes this.
  13. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

OK, fine !

-tbln

14. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Make sure you like the neck and weight of the Squier.

Dan R and tubelectron like this.
  15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

If it is a thin neck, it's not too much an issue, since I think that all my guitars are more or less thin-necked, with a radius going from 10" to 14" - I read in their specs that both the Fender Player and the Squier CV50 had a 9.5" radius.

But yes, the weight may be a concern, especially if there is wide variations... My heaviest guitars rates 4.2kg and 4.3kg. Do you think that a Squier CV may exceed this ? I have absolutely no experience about pinewood guitars...

The weight of my 2010 LPB MIM Tele was 3.6kg.

-tbln

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  16. TwangBrain

TwangBrain TDPRI Member

Budget restrictions aside, I recommend MIM or MIA Fenders, or an older used MIM or MIJ Squier. Quality assurance/QC for current or new Squier guitars aren't as good as they used to be...and have certainly never achieved such high quality standards as the now "collectable" MIJ Squier guitars.

17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Then make it easy on yourself, take a friend with you who can play the right-hand versions. You'll probably hear a difference between these two guitars, then hold them both as if they were left handed versions (to get a feel of the neck).

Order the left hand version of the one you like best.

To be honest, it's not my idea. I've heard of others doing it this way.

tubelectron likes this.
  18. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

The Player will be close to what you had before. You may find the ash tray bridge and the barrel saddles annoying. I quite like the vintage Tele bridge but it’s not to everyone’s taste. Likewise, I always like vintage-style tuners so that might be a plus.

Other than that, the specs are similar on paper. Pine vs alder weight depends on the guitar you pick up. The rest you’d only know by playing them both.

I’d likely go Player for the slightly better electronics, or stretch to a classic series. I’m a big fan of the modern MiMs from a general quality perspective, too.

tubelectron and Greggorios like this.
  19. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Butterscotch Baja and go home.

20. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Get a Player and upgrade it with a vintage style bridge.

On paper, the Vibes are a good deal, but I didn’t like the Les Paul-ish frets or the weight on my Classic Vibe. The Players are much more consistent.

tubelectron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.