Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I want a quadricycle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Feb 10, 2018.

1. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Actually fat tire bikes are the rage here. I spent the whole day down at the beach yesterday. They are all over. Modded like crazy too. Of course I am talking about Huntington Beach only though. 20180210_163256[1].jpg

Mike Eskimo likes this.

2. DugT

DugT Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    Fat tire bikes are definately the latest bike craze. Some friends of mine love theirs in mud and snow and some rocky conditions but they prefer their traditional mt bikes for typical summer trail riding.

I love my mt bike but on asphalt I would much rather ride my skinny tire road bike. However, I grew up in Manhattan Beach and am familiar with wanting to differentiate yourself from the crowd and having the latest greatest. I don't miss that but I do miss biking on the Strand.

By the way, I like your photograph and decided to see what Photoshop could do for it. I hope you don't mind.

201802115Ds-.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I can see the products as a niche but that’s it. Maybe a solution for someone I know who’s dealing with Parkinson’s.

They for sure won’t work on the best trails. I can’t imagine how all that extra mechanism and weight can be responsive and fun if only compared to a mid-level modern fattie or MTB.

The video of the people on the quad bikes reminded me of the vacation we usually take when you see the cruise ship people vs the people just being there.

Tele1966 likes this.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I see trike recumbent rigs often. Less often with hand propulsion. Heck, there is a young kid [mid+ 20s] I see all the time on a two wheeler that has no arms to speak of, just a little past the shoulder. I say hi as I pass by, and trust being in proximity rolling to him over at least 25% of other rider frankly.

If the machine you require to roll weighs a lot, and the alternative is not rolling. Hats off!! I'll be the first one to give you what ever width birth you require with a smile.

Fat bike/tires and mid fat/boost probably fun. But I have always user smaller on 26er and 29er. My 29er came with 2.4 I pulled in favor of 1.95 second ride. It is now got 650b 2.1 and that is about as fat as I go, I do use 25-28mm width rims minimum for all off road stuff.

Mostly tubeless off road, and mostly latex tubes on road, although I have two road wheels setup tubeless currently.

So oddly perhaps, bigger than normal for road, and smaller than normal for off piste. [but not afraid to take road nike off piste unless race tires] I like the wide 23-25mm rim for road with 28mm tires and if they fatten up to 31-2 on wide rims, I'll take it.

Don't miss the ride on rails feel on pavement of yesteryear in the least. I do weight 190kilo and am over 6' though.

Most importantly, IT IS ALL GOOD IMO

Tele1966 likes this.

5. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I can tell you @ 60 years old now, it peeves me when a 23 year old blows past me on a fat bike. But having said that, I ride my heart rate zone 3 as to avoid making my heart into a speed skaters quad, if i have not somewhat by now already.

As to the fast your fat tire riders blowing past, I am usually already 3/4 through a 50 mile ride and slower that the first 1/2 probably. If possible. ;)

Tele1966 likes this.

6. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

I remember the days when I raced, I could climb anything and blow past anybody unless they were a cat 1 or 2. I still ride but those days are long past. I no longer have to be the first to the top of the climb....ok, most of the time I can’t be but that is ok now.

Still not into the fat tire thing, my Santa Cruz Mt. bike is as close as I get.

Tele1966 likes this.

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

8. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I wonder if, when the bicycle was first introduced, all of the unicycle riders made fun of the people riding them for lack of balance and coordination.

You guys have successfully squashed my pipe-dream. Buncha dream squasher around here. :lol:

(It's a joke... I've never even seen the fat quadricycle in person. Then chances of me actually purchasing one are almost nil.)

Tele1966, drf64 and DugT like this.

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Sounds familiar. Not that I climbed fast, but fearless descending over the top mitigated the 'up' losses. In my mid 40s I was still breaking 29 minutes for 20k 3 lap time trial course with 3/4 mile 6% section tossed in each lap. Still felt somewhat fast, last memory of that feeling.

I have not done more than 76 mile ride in over a decade. The 4 hour century days are long past for me. A hard fast 50 I need 2 days to recover from anymore. No more easy 30 and another fast 50-70 on the third day.

Said 76 miler I did 2016, solo and averaged 19MPH. Have not repeated that since. I was pissed that day, and apparently I'm faster when pissed.

I am a has been. :cry: But at least I 'was' once. ;)

Tele1966 likes this.

10. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    My best run ever was in 2007... the day I was told that I was being forced out of my job. I came home and went for a run... an angry run. Best splits ever.

Tele1966 likes this.

11. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    If that is true, I profusely apologize. :oops:

My actual valid point against such a machine stems from having a tandem for a while. The only time it is not in the way and a hassle is when you are rolling on it. When not in use it IS ALWAYS in the way.

Even while out on it, turning around, being near events with a lot of folks, etc. We broke even $$ with a 5 year run of a crazy deal on a twice ridden custom steel IBIS, sold it late 2016. Wife could't ride any more, and my kids not around enough to stick on the back. None of my stokers appreciated my 100+ cadence and hardly ever stopping pedaling much. Something a new $8500.00+ tandem had the option to address.

It was only 40 lbs. the OP machine looks like it has to weight 80 minimum.

I think I have to apologize again to the thread, and to Thumper...

Tele1966 likes this.

12. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    No worries dugT, nice color enhancement.

DugT likes this.

13. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Completely unnecessary! I was making a joke... (hence the use of the word "pipe-dream").

I think it's a hair over 70 lbs... which still makes your point perfectly valid.

Even still, if I did get a fat quad... I would ride it unabashedly and have a blast... and never let anyone else ride it who had previously made fun of me. Haha.

;)

14. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    IMHO, the modern diamond frame bicycle is one of the most perfect designs we humans have ever come up with. The mechanical advantage it offers is incredible. I think everyone on the planet should be issued a bicycle, and be encouraged to use it.

thesamhill and Tele1966 like this.

15. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I almost bought, for 50% off, [$12k/$6k] a 2017 Domane SLR 10 [Race Shop Limited] a few weeks ago. Plan was to sell off the tubular wheels and Di2 Dura Ace parts as new pulls and keep the US made frame. Until I realized the 2017 is not made in Waterloo. Usually I buy mint used high end frame and build up with parts I get great deals on or do not buy.

Some Thread Pic/Candy of my last years new [used] frame with all new parts.

Domane_6800-Di2-grnBlk-Tape-SL23.jpg

rad1 likes this.

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For a lot of regions I don’t get where or how there would be a good inventory of places to ride one. It’s not going to do single track. You won’t be popular or maybe even allowed on some pathways without a medical reason. I’m not sure how fun it would be straddling double track.

Strike all that if you happen to have a good inventory of places to ride.

The bike you posted is pretty cool but IIRC, $9200. If you have not ridden a decent contemporary fat bike go try a this year Farley 5 or Farley 7. That’s a very good mix of design, parts and overall great handling.

YMMV, but I can only see a fattie quad as a possible solution for problems I’m glad I don’t have.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

18. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Folks may not be aware of a Google Maps feature. If you click the upper left menu icon [left side of search box] you can choose highlighting of terrain/transit,cycling,traffic,satellite.

This is something I do before I visit a city to decide of bringing a bike is a good idea.

Portland has a lot, and a other cities in the US are similar, some have zip. Just look at the CA cities yourself.

upload_2018-2-12_9-7-26.png

Attached Files:

19. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    I thought the rule here was to never apologize!

Anyhow, at 62, I feel much better hearing that someone else has trouble making it these days :D

My longest ride is usually less than 15 mi. The carpal tunnel has caught up with me and I cant strengthen my core due to back problems :cry:

My bike deserves respect nevertheless: ProShot_20160324_175858 (2).jpg

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    No trouble, unless being a slower is trouble. ;) Last 5 years I started caring a lot more about running 175 BPM hearts rates 90% of the time. I probably would still be reasonably fast if I threw that to the wind like even 5 years back. Exercise shouldn't cause [too much] damage I decided at a a point.

That disc Ti machine looks well implemented and functional. Tell me about the fork. I love steel forks personally.

I had a steel 'adventure' disc frame/fork custom made late 2015. Winter use and back unpaved road use mostly. I also use it for light loaded Treks and plan to do multi day off piste treks.

I have a Di2 Group for it, with a 28/42 double about to go on it. But for the loaded thing not sure I really want to give up the 22 tooth granny up front for when it is loaded with 40-50 lbs and a hill is in front of me. ;)

Swiss army bikes that will fit +45mm tires pretty much can be used for about anything/everything.

Nano-TCS-40s-M45.jpg

Most recent use/mode.

MaxxisRefuse_CL25s.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.