Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I want a quadricycle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Feb 10, 2018.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Four wheels and pedals?

[​IMG]

Wally, Toto'sDad, LocoTex and 4 others like this.

2. Tele1966

Tele1966 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I totally agree. I rode mountain bikes for years and even riding a mountain bike on the street with knobbies is a huge waste of energy. Four knobbies and the extra weight would take too much energy I think.

Edit to add - The wheels and tires in the Kelnet post above seem reasonable. The weight of the white body however, probably makes it less than ideal to pedal to the store.

Piggy Stu likes this.

3. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Ex racer here...

I would rather have an Ice Trike

EEF1CB8C-D6F0-4C1A-9C43-C2A7DA2DDF97.jpeg

drf64, Obsessed, LocoTex and 2 others like this.

4. RockNRollin_Nolan

RockNRollin_Nolan TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while and it gave me a nice laugh. Thanks for that. :)

Toto'sDad and Obsessed like this.

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    One of my luthier friends is a tinkerer. He has built an electric bicycle that with a few pedals, relatively friction free, powers a small electric motor. It can do 60 kms./hr. ( about 40 mph)
    It looks like a bike from "Easy Rider".
    He wears a black matte German soldier's helmet ( compulsory here ), has a grey beard like a pirate and laughs and waves to people on his weekend rides.
    Anyway, if we all worked, payed taxes and took responsibility for kids/family then we all deserve a little fun in our silly old age.
    That bike looks like fun. Find one and enjoy the fresh air and fun.

Toto'sDad and Piggy Stu like this.

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Abomination in the eyes of THE LORD

Leviticus 19:28

Thou shalt not ride the bicycle with uncloved hooves nor that which doth not chew the cud. It is unclean in the eyes of the LORD.

Thou shall also not get a 4 wheel mountain bike except that thou hast no sense of balance, and hath a disability badge for so to prove it

SO SPAKE THE LORD

robt57, imwjl, BobbyZ and 1 other person like this.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I like the 4 wheel bike....with a 250cc dirt bike motor please.;)

FenderLover and Tele1966 like this.

8. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Good try. I'm under the new covenant. :lol:

Every four-wheel cycle that I've seen does indeed look like it was built for someone who would otherwise not be a able to ride a two-wheel bike.

EXCEPT THIS PARTICULAR DESIGN
    (The one I pictured in the OP)

Since this one keeps the rider in the same position as a two-wheel bike, there is still a lot of balance required - not to keep it upright, of course, but to keep it level through jumps and such.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I've seen some in China, they weren't as heavy-duty looking as that one but they had a flat bed thing or a trailer and were used to carry furniture.

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Found a video of one in use. This is what I'm talking about. (I care nothing about doing stunts on concrete with this thing. But I do want the ability to get it off the ground and land, without destroying the thing.)

LocoTex likes this.

11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Tie 2 birds together: doesn't make them fly better

Good luck with it

Tele1966 and DugT like this.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Some friends have a more cart-like model with bench seats that creates a lot of fun on the events that close city streets, and they’ll take it on frozen lakes.

As a trail builder and director (board of directors) at a ski area with extensive MTB trail and feature inventory I have observations that say pass on any sort of fat tired 4 wheeler if you think it will move you like an off-road bicycle. We have a disabled vet and handicapped skiing outreach program and that experience says an off road quad or trike are still not single track or everywhere riding machines.

If you can ride a two wheeler and have not ridden truly modern MTBs you want that route for off road. If trails are too wet and you want a fun way to drink beer my friend’s Quadzilla is a lot of fun.

Tele1966 and DugT like this.

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    it looks like it weighs a ton

Tele1966 likes this.

14. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    It looks like it would be fun too try but i can't imagine you could get much speed with all that weight. I would think you would need the 4 wheel independent suspension as shown in the video. I can't tell if the thing in the OP has it. I'm not sure it would even fit on most single track.

Tele1966 likes this.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Seems like a lot of fun downhill but when you take away the option of getting out of the saddle for more torque and/or quick acceleration ?

Then it just turns it into something fun and dorky to do with friends on Sunday afternoon, like Segway-ing around Chicago or something...

Tele1966 likes this.

16. DugT

DugT Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    I like mt bikes for exercise and fun and lightness is important to me because, where I live, there are some steep hills and I need all the help I can get to get up those hills.

For exploring fire roads, I recommend something like this. It easily climbs steep and rocky trails that I couldn't ride my bike up or down. (I'm not a good mt biker.)

20150922sixD-6679.jpg

20161126-5Ds-6870.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

17. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    I've spent a good amount of time in Pittsburgh, so you can believe I understand the sheer insanity of unsanctioned downhill drift trike racing there! (Not that it doesn't sound like fun... lol)

I made a "Voyager" recumbent. It was fun to build but I never really got the hang of riding it. I tell you what, though- Building one, I got a lot more appreciation for how cool the humble bicycle is! It's a pretty amazing gizmo.

I think my next attempt might be the tricycle with the casters for back wheels. Not for me, of course. For my daughter. Totally for her. She needs one. And a new crash helmet. Better get one in my size too... :)

Nightclub Dwight likes this.

18. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My 29er is 26.5lb with 1lb Pedals. My lightest road bike with my lightest wheels is 13.8lb.

There is now way on this earth I could enjoy anything about that monstrosity other than watch someone else on one pass me.

imwjl and TheGoodTexan like this.

19. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    It would work right here in SoCal 100% and they do. The boardwalks are wide and full of cyclers of all types. You can go for miles on flat land just cruising. Most all major streets leading to the beaches have wide bike lanes too. Perfect for here.

20. DugT

DugT Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    I think a skinny tire bike would be much more fun on boardwalks and streets of So Cal. The OP lives in Nashville, TN.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.