Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I want a cheap Tele knock off, but which one? Please need help with selection.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by kuskus265, Aug 1, 2017.

Ohhh there is a poll

1. Stagg

37.5%
  2. HB tele

62.5%
  3. HB JazzMMaisteer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Oh, shipping for me was $25. I didn't notice you where on the other side of the pond.

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I had a Hadean tele from rondomusic.com and I have nothing but good words for it eventhough they are less than $100. The SX teles also have good reviews. A Squire Affinity are... eh... okay... but the Squire Classic Vibe are better!

Good luck!

Ira7 likes this.

3. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I remember reading somewhere that the SX guitars are available out of the UK. Not sure what the shipping would be from there.

4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    If you want a cheap tele. Why not buy a Squier or a Modern Player?

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I had the Stagg, it's different and a decent player, neck finish is very thin, which I didn't care for.
    P-90 sounds good, very fat, does jazz well.

6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    With a little more money and some luck, you can buy a cheap nice one!

Like cars, they lose half their value when you take them out of the showroom.

Look, I think there are a lot of good cheap guitars, but why have two good ones when you can have one great one?

SonsOfMoog likes this.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    There are also great cheap guitars. And the fact that little money is spent, increases their greatness!

Fearnot and Vespa_One like this.

8. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    Don't forget Aria Pro. Seem to be made in Indonesia in the Samick factory which make a load of other brands as well.

https://ariaguitarsglobal.com/product/615-frontier/

This guitar will cost you a few dollars more than the Harley Benton - about 10 dollars more in real terms my end - ymmv.

It's a very well balanced guitar (not too light not too heavy). The fret work is spot on as are the fixtures and fittings. May be the odd bit of imperfection here and there when you put your glasses on and inspect! But they sound great (I have two) and play great. Real vibe to them.

You are taking a chance with any guitar you buy at this price range if you don't play it first. The two that I have of this model are slightly different weight, slightly different setup, slightly different quality in finish. But we are really nit-picking at this point.

Lots of people like those Harley Bentons for what they are. It's harder to pick up an Aria Pro, but if you can, you won't be disappointed at that price range.

I just bought another today (Aria Pro). It's an alternative at your entry point. At least comparable to a low-end Squier and probably mid-range too. It's a lot of guitar for not very much money. But if you want a Maple fingerboard they don't do one. Then again if you want a rosewood fingerboard, then grab them while you can...

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've sort of had an eye on the SX Furrian and the HB 52, but it's really hard to know what's going on with those necks. The Furrian neck is listed as flatter than 13" radius and the HB are really unclear, but a couple of the on-site reviews mentioned really flat fretboards too. I don't like a 12" radius and I sure don't want something even flatter. But I've also ears anecdotal evidence (here and elsewhere online) that either or both have fairly fat necks and reasonably round fretboards.

I have one of the SX travel/mini steel string acoustics and it's a shockingly well made little guitar for $140. Between that experience and seeing what people have written about both gives me confidence that the quality will be well within my limits for more than good enough. But if there's one thing I'm picky about on a guitar it's the neck and I don't want to buy a guitar with a neck I might hate even if it's really inexpensive.

If anyone here can provide any additional information about the neck on either, I'd sure be interested...

-Ray

10. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I'd suggest you go into a local music store with a good selection and play several that are above your immediate price range and nicer than you had originally planned. Get a model and type in mind that feels great to you. Then shop used (ebay, Reverb, craigslist, etc) to find that guitar, and see what the going rate is. Save up for that amount, and you end up with something nice, and not just settling for what you can afford this very moment. I know very well the "I need it now" impulse, but it's almost always more rewarding in the long run to go for quality (quality construction and hardware, not talking about finish/bling).

Hedgehogz70 likes this.

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You can't beat Rondo for the good inexpensive stuff.

I have two:

One lefty Tele for my son, and a recent purchase for me that I strung for Nashville tuning.

Quality of body finish blows away any body I've bought from GFS to build partscasters. As a complete guitar, I can't trust GFS to come close to Rondo for a better quality guitar.

Pickups and switching?

That's always going to be questionable at these price points, but at these prices, who cares?

You got guys here swapping out pups on $1,000 plus guitars too!

blowtorch likes this.

12. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Flatter than 13 basically means no radius.

Don't knock it until you've really tried it. Acoustics don't have radiuses, and play just fine. But of course, depending on what/how you play.

And we're talking about an INCREDIBLY inexpensive guitar, which shouldn't be dismissed just because of neck radius.

I play 12" now for the first time in my life (I'm 60), and hallelujah, I have seen the light.

Alamo and callasabra like this.

13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've played plenty of flat fretboard guitars and owned a couple, although briefly. If you hand me one at a jam I'll play it happily enough, but if I'm talking about a guitar I'm gonna buy and keep, it's just not what I like. I've played a Squire Affinity and that neck was fine - a little thinner than optimal, but basically fine. I'd definitely sooner pay $200 for a guitar with a neck I'm good with than $125 for one I'm not. So if the SX and HB guitars really do have 12" and flatter fretboards, I'll take a pass.

I don't mind flat necks on acoustics, but I play acoustics so differently than electrics it's almost an apples to oranges kind of comparison.

14. kuskus265

kuskus265 TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Somewhere in Czech Republic
    Holy moly, I just expected a few replies on whats better and it grown up into awesome disscuison. Well, this is my favourite forum from now on :D ARIA guitars have distributors to CZE so its awesome ill have look at them right now

SonsOfMoog likes this.

15. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Yeah, because you've been around the block a few times and know what you like.

For newer players, I don't think radius makes much of a difference when they're first getting into it. They'll decide on their own preferences in time, just like many prefer flat, or it doesn't matter (me).

raysachs and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    When I'm shopping for a cheap guitar, I always disregard the pickups and electronics because I'm 100% going to replace them anyways. So for me it's (from highest to lowest priority):

1. How does the neck feel?
    2. Is it too heavy?
    3. Is it balanced?
    4. Is the hardware solid?
    5. Will I want to refinish it because the stock finish sucks?

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I've been playing since 1986 and I can't tell one radius from another.

Southpaw Tele likes this.

18. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    Good quality tele for cheap, either a squier standard or a vintage icon series.

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Thank you for admitting what I've been embarrassed to admit since 19 SEVENTY 6.

I'm not Slash or Van Halen, and I know it. And radius doesn't matter to me like it does to others.

Ironically, I find the flatter 12 on my Thinline BETTER for chording, when it's supposed to be the opposite.

I think a lot of this folklore comes from the notion that everyone has the same kind of fingers.

I'm a little guy with short, stubby fingers, although I can do a 5-fret chord stretch. (That pinky just about reaches, depending on string.)

And I got no problem with a 12.

Southpaw Tele and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

20. Rookery

Rookery TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    England
    I'm in a similar position to the OP, wanting an inexpensive Tele type that's not going to blow my pension. I've considered HB TE30 (<£100) or TE52 (>£100) but discounted them as they seem unable to put them together consistently well based on many reviews. I bought an SX STL50 (£120) from an on line shop but on arrival it had cracks to both sides of the neck pocket so I sent it back. I ordered another from the same shop but they said on inspection, all their stock had finishing faults and they refunded my money. I tried a different SX in swamp ash (£169) in a different shop and it looked and felt ok but sounded a bit dull. In the same shop I tried an Aria 615 (£145) but the fretboard was very uncomfortable. The Squier Affinity necks are too narrow for me. I've seen a Redwood tele for as little as £79 but surely it cant be any good at that price can it? Likewise a Gear4Music Knoxville (£90). I'd consider a Squier Bullet, Indonesian made) which were available in the UK for a short time for about £120 but only in orange or black and I've not seen a used one for sale. Similarly, I'd consider a good used Squier Standard but again rarely come up for sale. How hard can it be. So if anyone's got something that might suit, or any other suggestions, please let me know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.