I used two amps today at rehearsal and wow, tone.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ecadad, May 20, 2019.

1. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

My band and I have been rehearsing for an upcoming gig, the band is bass, 2 guitars, drums, vocals. I've been using a Deluxe Reverb and a Tele, the other guitarist is a Deluxe Reverb and a Strat. Our music is pretty much alt/indie rock, pretty clean with some dirty bits. Like a mix of The Smiths and Tom Petty, but different. I use just a few pedals, chorus, a boost, a dirt pedal, phaser, reverb (I prefer using pedal reverb for show vs amp).

Anyway, in rehearsal lately I've noticed that my Deluxe is sounding pretty harsh with my tele. Maybe it's the volume, but when I play my Strat or my Les Paul into it, it sounds magical. Lately with the tele it's kind of bright and brittle sounding. Like it's too clean. I Brought my Bassbreaker 15 (which I have used once) and an ABY switch to see if I should use the BB15 for this gig. I ended up using both amps at the same time and WOW, my tone was mind blowing.

Sparkly and crisp, but with a dirty little punch at the bottom. Perfect. Handled chorus and dirt beautifully, got clean, but the dangerous kind of clean, with the edges starting to break. I'll be using the two amps together for the show. The bottom end filled with the crunch of the Bassbreaker, the sparkle from the deluxe. Now I understand why people combine amps! It's incredible! And my other guitars sounded great through them too!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Nice combination!

A Deluxe Reverb with a Vox Ac 15 is also a nice combination

3. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nice if you've got someone to carry them for you.

4. BlerpityBloop

BlerpityBloop TDPRI Member

I’m not a loud amp guy, never have been. I figure 98% of my playing is at home, hate safecracking to find that sweet spot between 1 and 2 on the dial from whisper to giving the front row a haircut, so I prefer low watt amps.

So, when my band rehearses I bring by VoxAc10 and spare VoxVT40 and run both through the ABY pedal (mild gain on the AC10 crystal clean on the other). All pedals go in to the tube amp.

For some reason - maybe because both are cooking to keep up with the drums or we have similar settings - it just sounds absolutely freaking fantastic. The slight grit with clean punch like you describe.

Highly recommend.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i've done this with my 66 deluxe reverb and my ac15c1 with a morley aby pedal. great combo! also, i've used a 76 champ and 75 vibro champ as well as a 59 princeton with a gibson ga79rtv.

play music!

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My favorite sound was when I sat my ‘63RI Vibroverb on top of my 1972(?) Bassman Ten.

Huge, glorious Fender tone coming out of 6 (count ‘em—six!!) ten-inch speakers...

It was heaven until it came time to load everything up. Then my back would ask my ears, “Is this really worth it?”

7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I recently got an AB switch and started doing this, and I'm in the same boat. It's awesome.

What kind of AB switcher are you using?

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

My Fender "The Twin" is super clean. Maybe a little too crisp/harsh.
    The DeVille can get a little muddy but it's warmth is what the The Twin is missing.

Those two paired sound good.

I also have a 75 Twin Reverb which I have mostly because I always wanted one. It seems warmer than The Twin not as warm as the DeVille, & though it certainly could dialled in to sub in for one of the other two, I think for now I prefer it on its own.

I used to gig with Johnson Millenium & the best sound I ever got from it was running direct into the P.A. in addition to the 4-12 set up I had. That may actually be the best I've ever sounded with any amp/pedals.

9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Unless you have an injury , this is not even a big deal.

RedRock, cyclopean and tidalcast like this.
  10. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Does this only work with different amps, or could a pair sound better than one? This might sound like a stupid question (and maybe it is) but there might be something to BlerpityBloop's point - you've got two amps cooking rather than one big one that isn't breaking a sweat.

11. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

20190517_183508.jpg While testing the stereo ability of a recent pedal I bought(Arion SAD-1) I noticed that running two amps sounds better whether the delay was on or off!!

sonicsmitty likes this.
  12. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

13. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

14. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I hope so. I have a DRRI and a Vox AC15HW that I've been dying to try out together, but since I quit the band I've never had the opportunity. I'm supposed to jam with some friends on the 15th so I hope I can try it then.

15. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Yeah. I’ve done something similar, but different amps, and it really adds a lot of sound in a good way. But it’s also a PITA. I haven’t done it at a gig yet, only rehearsals.

For me, it was a Roland BCA with UBTC and Orange Crush 60. Using the crush’s dirty channel with a bump in volume when I needed crunchy sounds. Worked really well.

16. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I've been using a Blues Jr (Tweed) NOS with a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb either with an A/B/Y pedal or using the stereo outs from my NeoVentilator pedal (last on my board).
    It's really spoiled me for using a single amp. Never would have thought two small amps (15 and 12 watts) could sound this huge.

Attached Files:

17. asnarski

asnarski TDPRI Member

For me, I Tried 2 amps cuz of a purchase of 620 Rick. Ric o sound into a stereo chorus pedal, then into Deluxe Reverb & AC-15. I was in la la land heaven!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I'm with you on this. I love the sound of my PRRI 68 and the lil bassbreaker 007. It really fills up the spectrum. Cut one out and you instantly feel that you're missing something. Not only is it the bottom, but the bassbreaker brings an attack that complements the softness of the PRRI (or DRRI, I do that, too, with my 65). You just need a little bottom and crispy crunch and that magic happens.

19. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

This is exactly what I mean! Once I switched one off, some spectrum of sound was suddenly missing and my tone got noticeably worse- like the drummer said, "hey what'd you, I like whatever you were doing before". It's such a good combo!

20. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

What model Supro is that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.