Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Think My Body Shrunk

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by LowThudd, Dec 5, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I will contact him, but I was hoping that the knowledge base here could tell from the measurements which it is.

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    What brand and model is your bridge?
    Also, you can print out the Tele template drawing in the sticky at the top of this forum page and compare the holes and bridge rout. The T-Downs template is for a vintage bridge layout so if your body matches that drawing you might have a wonky bridge.

Rex

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

It's a "Standard" Fender brand Ashtray bridge. I assumed that was what "Standard" meant when I bought it.

However, I just heard back from the builder that he specifies "standard" meaning modern, and would have specified "Vintage" if he meant ashtray.

So I guess this was a communication error.

Now what to do. I can always buy a Modern bridge, but I am pretty set on using a vintage bridge. Any way to get around redrilling the body?

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Hmm. Something tells me no one will like this bridge but me. Looks kind of nice IMO though. Not sure I like the saddles.

[​IMG]

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    In this case, your opinion is the only one that really matters.
    Be bold - make a statement! :D

There are after-market bridges that fit the "modern" specs, but are closer to the vintage/ashtray design.
    You can check Callaham, Glendale, Rutters, and others to see what's available.

LowThudd likes this.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    I can see several possible options for you.

#1) You could simply enlarge the current body string though holes, about 1/8" larger, to a depth of 1/3 to 1/2 the thickness of the body. Then simply place the vintage bridge where it belongs. I suggest this, as opposed to just "elongating" the holes, which may make getting strings through the hole in the bridge plate a bit more troublesome/annoying.
    #2) Simply drill the holes in the bridge plate about 1/8" larger to meet the existing string through holes. This approach would eliminate any issue of strings "hitting" the bottom of the plate when re-stringing.
    #3) Look into the dimensions of the newer American Professional bridge. I've not yet seen it's measurements, but from appearances, it seems to utilize the string through locations of the modern style bridge, while retaining many/most of the benefits of the vintage style, but with an "upgraded" design, putting the mounting screws behind the saddle height screws, thus eliminating the occasional annoyance of the height screws ending up on top of the mounting screw heads.
    #4) As mentioned above, there may be aftermarket solution to your dilemma!
    Please keep us updated on your decisions and progress. Your situation and resolution may well be helpful to others in the future!

Thank You,
    Gene

LowThudd likes this.

7. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    This is why I like undrilled blanks than the pre drilled. No guess work other than the quality of the wood.

Looking good lowthudd.

8. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thanks. I appreciate the support. The Seller also mentioned that Joe Bardon makes a Vintage/Modern bridge as you two have suggested.

Drilling the holes larger was my original approach, and I do have a spare plate lying around I can modify to experiment with.

Another option is to Bubba Mod a modern bridge for three saddles.

The one problem I am having is finding options in Gold, as that is what I had intended to use, and have other hardware to match. But I am thinking Nickel wouldn't be too bad, and there are vintage/Modern bridges in nickel.

It'll get done one way or another. I'm just glad my body didn't shrink LENGTHWISE. lol

9. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Then there is this option. Looks like some are drilling the modern string locations in vintage bridges. This actually by far seems like the more sensible way to deal with it. But I do wonder about the bridge mounting holes being so close to the string through holes.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics likes this.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    After doing some measuring on a spare vintage plate, it seems like redrilling, or elongating the existing bridge string holes it the best option. I have some top ferrules I can use to make sure the strings have a smooth transition to the saddles.

Edit: elongate the existing bridge STRING holes, not screw holes. lol

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    You could drill three new bridge mounting holes in the ashtray plate, centered under the intonation screws and further forward.
    Then drill the new string through holes in the plate, without them being so close to the old mounting holes.

Some kinda holy plate though...

IMO the builder was obtuse to call it a standard bridge.
    There is vintage and there is modern, though modern comes on the American Standard.

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Yea, I am not too happy about it. His point was that the Modern bridge has been "Standard" for 40 years. But, I think it has only been 30. Oh well. I should have figured this out about 3 years ago, so at this point it's my fault.

I don't think I'll redrill the screw holes in the bridge. Maybe just the string holes.

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sounds like you have it all well under control, with a suitable and viable solution!
    Happy Twangin'
    Gene

14. 2blue2

2blue2 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu

Something tells me ... you forgot the matching neck plate! ;):D

15. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma

16. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Or dig up the snake head bridge plate PDF and bend up your own. Paint it glitter sparkle gold

17. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Nope

Nope. More trouble than just modifying an ashtray bridge like mentioned above.

Nope. Has six saddles, not three. Could bubba it, but no. Modded ashtray bridge will work. It's only a 2mm difference in string spacing.

I have no idea what drugs the engineers in the 80s were on when they decided to make the modern string through holes a whole 2MM further forward than vintage. Not only does this make parts not backwards compatible, it complicates the manufacturing process. It isn't like conversion bridges weren't available at the time either. I believe Gotoh and others had them. Didn't Keef have six saddles before 1988? Bruce? Not sure about Townsend.

I was just concerned that the body had shrunk lengthwise. Seems only shrink enough to make the neck pocket to tight. Emergency over.

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    The modern bridges have strat style saddles that require the string through holes to be below the saddle. If they didn't move them there'd be no room for intonation as the saddle would be banging on the flange at the back of the bridge plate.

I dislike a six saddle s much as the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd fuss about this much to retroactively fit a 3 saddle.

I'd be more inclined to drill a modern plate to accept the three saddle screws

19. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I prefer the look and feel of the ashtray bridge.

Like I said, there ARE six saddle conversion bridges which fit a vintage string position. And I believe they existed before 1988 when Fender started using the modern bridges. It could have been done without creating two completely different assembly processes and parts which are incompatible.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...tar_Bridges/Gotoh_Modern_Bridge_for_Tele.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.