Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Think My Body Shrunk

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by LowThudd, Dec 5, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I have had this body I bought on ebay from a well rated guitar body maker. Well, life got in the way, and I let it sit for over three years unsealed. In mocking it up, then neck pocket was too tight, and there was overhang of the neck. So, I sanded the neck pocket to fit the neck.

Now I have tried to fit the bridge, and the string through holes are too close to the pickup route by maybe 1/16".

My idea of how to deal with this is to enlarge the string through holes in both the body and the bridge, so that the bridge can be moved back a bit.

Is this the best way to deal with this? Or is there a better plan?

Alder body with a Maple top.
    [​IMG]

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    First WRT shrinkage - I would have been very surprised for shrinkage to reduce the spacing between the string-through holes and the bridge pickup route. When the wood swells or shrinks it does not normally do so in that axis, parallel to the pores, but rather in the side-to-side axis, perpendicular to the wood pores. This COULD explain the neck pocket getting tighter. In either case the wood should have been better seasoned before being sold. If the climate is very dry where you live and the body was made in a damp area - well, maybe.

To your current problem - wouldn't it be solved by simply elongating the holes into ovals with a little round needle file? (only on the top - leave them round as is for the ferrules on the other side) Or alternatively, by taking 1/16" off the forward part of the pickup rout? If you are using a normal tele bridge this wouldn't show at all. And the obvious dumb question - have you actually fit your pickup into the bridge and confirmed it won't fit the current rout with the string-trough holes lined up? Not to insult your intelligence at all but life has taught me to leave no stone unturned in problem-solving.

Finally - that's a great looking F-hole! You don't see that style much on a tele. I wouldn't mind a full sized tracing/rubbing of that if you get the chance.

Good luck - should be an easy solve.
    Rex

LowThudd likes this.

3. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Earlville IL
    Oh, I thought it was your body. Mine has been shrinking for years. ;)

robinn likes this.

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Thanks. Yes, the builder is in the south, and I live in a desert hole called the San Fernando Valley. lol Yes, it has been really dry in these drought years(the worst on record). SO, that probably explains it. The builder has excellent feedback with many sales, so I don't think he is at fault.

Yes, I tried fitting the bridge with a Keystone pup mounted, and it was off by about 1/16" with the pickup touching the forward edge of the route.

I guess I can just elongate the holes back as you say. Hopefully the scale length won't be too affected.

I'll try and get a rubbing done and scan it.

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Oh, I got that happening too. I'm 2 inches shorter than I used to be. lol

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks for the scan offer.
    I'd really look at opening the front of the rout if possible, but the elongation of the holes will work too. Do they line up close enough as is for the strings to pass through at all when the bridge with pickup installed is sitting in the route? Maybe you don't have a problem at all then. If you still need to elongate the holes I would go ahead and get the bridge lined up the way you want it and drill the screw holes for its installation. Then run the (waxed!) screws into the body to clamp the bridge down and then run a drill bit that is a slip fit through the string through holes in the bridge. Run it in maybe halfway through the body and you ought to be good to go, no filing required and the holes will be very even. Stick your neck in the pocket before you do ANY drilling and double check the scale length with the bridge laying in position if you're worried about that.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    LowThudd likes this.

7. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    The scale is why I immediately dismissed moving the route forward. I assumed that would get the saddles too far to the rear of the bridge. I have a better idea now of where to go with this.

Thanks for the help.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    If you're using a pickguard, when you put it in place does if give an even reveal all the way around the bridge? Or does the reveal indicate a need for the bridge to move one way or the other?
    Sorry for the streams of consciousness but I'm just brainstorming what I would do if it were mine.

Cheers,
    Rex

LowThudd likes this.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Note a coupe edits to the earlier suggestion.
    Rex

LowThudd likes this.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    OK, that helped. I am not running a PG, but I have one I can use to help mock it up. Thanks again.

11. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

Never did a rubbing of an F Hole before. Also not sure if the tape lifted while doing it. Hope this will help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. eallen

eallen Tele-Meister

Put your neck in place and measure the scale with the bridge set over the string holes with out the pickup. If within the adjustmemt range shave what you need off the pup route. Pup route is alway my firts stop as long as enlarging doesn't show.

Put on some mock high and low E strings up to the tuners to make sure everything lines up before drilling the bridge mount holes as well.

LowThudd likes this.

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    it is entirely possible the bridge you have is the incorrect one for the spacing on the body..

typically, if the mounting holes are in front of the string through holes... meaning on the neck side, there are usually 4 mounting screws required.. and the bridge is more typically found on vintage style guitars.

the bridges where the mounting holes are on the back side of the string through holes, or away from the neck and usually have 3 mounting bolts, are found on more modern guitars..

the two are not compatible. The string through holes are in different locations relative to the pickup placement.

Guys, today there are a long list of reputable body makers ... easily identified on the forum.. get your stuff from one of those guys. If you buy something from Lord knows who on eBay... you're kinda begging for problems...

If you only have 50 bux for a body.. you got the 50, didn't ya.. so... wait until you get another 50.. and if necessary, another, until you can get something from someone with a proven track record.. 150 for a body that works correctly is a far better bargain than a 50 buck POS that doesn't.

In my experience the difference between a 50.00 body off eBay and firewood is the body has some kinda useless shaping done to it.

Now, sure ya might get lucky... do ya feel lucky? or you might wind up on some forum asking what do I do, nothing fits...

Ron Kirn

14. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks for the rubbing of the F-hole. :lol:

And that's good advice from Eric above.

Cheers,
    Rex

15. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Excellent point by Ron of vintage vs modern bridge - could be a simple as that.
    Tele Bridge Modern vs Vintage.jpg

16. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    I would put on the neck and see where the saddles should be (scale plus compensation). Then I would want the strings to have a normal angle over the saddles down to the holes in the bridge plate. If the location of the string holes in the body is off measured in this way, I would drill new holes in the body. If the body string holes are in the right place, you might have to drill new string holes in the metal bridge plate. Then you wouldn't have to deal with plugging the old ferrule holes in the body.

Notice that the two styles of bridge plate have very different ideas of the angle of the strings coming off the saddles.

The saddles have to be in the right place and the string angles over the saddles have to be reasonable. The only way you could change where those saddles belong is to change the neck pocket to move the neck itself closer or farther from the bridge.

All this is just normal hotrodding skills for making separate parts work together. Sometimes you just gotta buy more parts, usually you just need to stare at the geometry and reshape something a little bit. That sure is a beautiful body!

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would suggest it doesn't matter until the pickup rout and the string through holes are correct... if the bridge won't go on correctly... ya gotta stop and get that right before ya worry about anything else.

rk

LowThudd likes this.

18. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Good point about the modern/vintage. I am using a vintage bridge. I just pulled out my veneer and measured 3.027" from the center of the string hole to forward most part of the pup route. Can anyone tell me if that is for a modern or vintage bridge?

Dam, I really don't like modern bridges. Not going to be happy if this if modern.

19. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

20. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Can't you just measure the same distance on the bridge you have and see if it matches?
    If it doesn't, then you may have the wrong bridge.

How about contacting the guy you bought the body from and ask him which bridge he considers "standard" - i.e., which one are his dimensions based on?

telemnemonics and LowThudd like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.