Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I think Leo had it right...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TipTop, Dec 7, 2018.

1. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    My G&L is NEVER out of tune. That blows my mind.

MONKEYDOG and brookdalebill like this.
  2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    That's a matter of function of the guitar, though, isn't it? In the 50s, people placed their fingers on strings and strummed or fingerpicked.

15 years later, people were bending notes all over the place and pushing strings over the sides. Minor change fixes that pretty easily, but if you stray too far, the neck feels fat like a PRS SE (or some of them) because it has too much room outside of the string ends.

3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I've never had a G&L - I look at the peghead and figure the cause for that must be the bridge?

My first introduction to guitar involved my teacher telling me to get some graphite lube. That sort of solves any issue I've ever had with a LP as long as the tuners are decent (but people are very resistant to that).

Fast forward 25 years, and I've never had an issue with a collings guitar - the peghead is ever so slightly narrowed, and the issue seems to be gone (the tuners are good, too - fairly important). I will continue to lube the grooves of the LP without getting too upset, but a guitar with a bridge that's not stable, I can't deal with it.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...when I'm in the middle of a gig, playing fiercely, or fiercely trying, or just trying to fit tight, the last thing on my mind is engineering design analysis; Ima just try to make the heart/soul/mind/body connection and hope whoever is out there is feelin' it...I get that there is a whole lot of history and thought and that the pathways to production are complex.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there is a certain feeling when everything is working well. I'll take some of that, and let the guitar makers worry about neck angle. I'm looking for the note angels.

Wallo Tweed and MilwMark like this.
  5. Rusty Stauffer

Rusty Stauffer Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Same here .... when I just “grab a guitar” it’s usually the tele. Just is.

Jim622 likes this.
  6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Well, they always work, and when you lean over to pick one up, you don't have to get your a$$ underneath you just to make sure you don't tip over.

I got one of the cheap faded LPs earlier this year and fixed the things that were wrong with it due to lack of care. I have to admit it's nicer than the expensive LPs because it's almost balanced.

Same with a cheap burny copy that I have. It might be poplar or something, but the white finish on it covers all evidence of that and it's a pound and a half lighter, all out of the body. I like it better than a "real" one.

7. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    This is pretty much the way I see it as well.

Gibson, via Les Paul, pretty much adhered to the principals they used making hollow body archtops and incorporated those into a solid body style guitar which became the Les Paul model a solid body jazz guitar.

Leo sought an approach that was easier to build with semi-skilled labor and a style that would initially appeal to C&W players more so than solo instrumentalists. The Tele was designed for a different market entirely.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  9. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't know what it is. Probably just a fluke but I like to think a wizard works at G&L and sneezed magic on it.
    Either way, it's the best Tele I've ever played.

10. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    Good way to put it! I was just going to say that I tend to stare at my beautiful LP and SG hanging on the wall while I play my Tele :)

I do feel like the Gibson design problems (eg with the string angle and tension) are easily fixed so I don’t really understand why there has been no improvement over the decades.

There are cases where I prefer the shorter scale length on Gibson’s. Currently experimenting with upgrading a duo sonic so I can get the Fender advantages but with a short(we) scale. We’ll see how it goes.

I often feel like people make too much of the bridges. I’ve had Teles and Strats that I could never get the action and or intonation right as well. I tend to think it’s more a limitation with the neck construction (high spots, low spots, high/low fret(s)) and occasional feel relieved (pardon the pun) that with a TOM bridge I don’t feel the pressure to constantly adjust it to get the setup perfect when in reality it will never be perfect even if it was more adjustable.

The telecaster is, to this day, the single best design in the electric guitar world, IMO. Not perfect, but less imperfect than everything else. Plus... simple and fun to play :)

gwjensen and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    B
    Yes! Now that’s a juicy nugget!

12. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    As well appointed as Gibsons are and their designers have such good taste and commitment to creating very stylish instruments,
    is it possible that the production /Quality control section could benefit from some of that fashion sense,
    beside how could I bear to wear a guitar that would radiate that the instrument was wearing me?
    tu n'es pas d'accord avec moi mon cher

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    only if you exclude the National Steel Body Resophonic NRP "B" series instruments :p

14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    To be clear, their fantastic fashion sense went from about ..what...1915 to 1955?

Leo's designs are easy to make well. It's interesting that the Gibson design (which given the budget could be nailed every time without quality issue, but not nearly so mechanized as the fender design can be done - well, the gibson design is probably still 95% machine and 5% hand...but, anyway) can be nailed by new enthusiastic builders.

But even when those builders get comfortable (I'm thinking of tokai - I've had five now, and the more common grade instruments can have the same quality issues as gibson), they make the same mistakes.

When someone makes a good telecaster, they get the process down and everyone doesn't have to have a good day on Friday afternoon for the guitar to be perfect, if you know what I mean.

I hold collings in super high regard, but it's not like there's a magic elf there. I think they just have a better process that doesn't require everyone to have a good day -and maybe the instruments move a little slower from check to check. If there's any flaw from fender's standpoint, it's that their design is so easy to repeat even pre-CNC. But like many others, I'll pay $1200 for a "real fender" even if a $400 indonesian guitar that's just as good. I revere leo fender like leonard bailey. It's those little bits of genius that come along that raise the quality of life for all of us. It's not planes or electric guitars these days, maybe it's an app that allows you to avoid driving into a storm without watching TV, but something that halves the price of a good guitar and makes it more accessible...super cool.

Leo had good taste in other original ideas, too - you can have black or sunburst, or natural. Until leo came along and said "why can't we fill the guitars and make them look like a car?"

Great idea. Doesn't cost a lot. Just takes someone with good taste and creativity. To this day, some of the finish work on a rank and file $1300 telecaster is the kind of stuff most amateur builders can't match - at least not in any reasonable amount of time without getting a bunch of industrial sized buffers and routing tools.

15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Exactly. Get a good tune-o-matic or gibraltar, and most of that is sort of an afterthought (get a bad one, and they can be bad, too, though). From a builder's standpoint, I never look forward to putting a tele bridge on a tele, cutting the nut, then adjsuting saddle heights and intonation. It's not hard, it's just too much time spinning various types of screws.

16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I told my wife yesterday that i'm not going to buy any more guitars for a long time. Soooooooooooooo.... not going to read this too many times.

shupe13 likes this.
  17. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Seriously. Freaking wizards.

18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    3 word respectful rebuttal...Gibson- cord -Marshall

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    i don't think gibsons are seen as a standard. ask the next person to walk down your street to picture a guitar and it's probably a strat.

thunderbyrd and Bella_Caster like this.
  20. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    I like both Gibsons, and Fenders. Right now I have 2 Teles, and 2 Les Pauls.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.