Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

I think 2-3 guitars is enough...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jeremypodom, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately... now that I've got my RK tele and my aerodyne strat, I don't really have any GAS for other guitars. My strat needs a bit of love before it's as good of a player as the RK, but once that's done I think I may be set. I honestly don't see any need for much more than that. I might add an SG to the collection in the future, but that's definitely far out from now.

I feel like if I had any more than 3, then at least one of them would become neglected. A guitar is something you must be very familiar with. I've had my strat for long enough so that when I picture a specific sound in my head, I know exactly how to reach it. It'll be a little while before I'm there with my tele, but I'm looking forward to it.

What do yall think?

I do have an acoustic and a bass on top of this. I'm just speaking in terms of electric guitars.

2. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I'm with you. I have a tele and a strat (besides the acoustic and the bass). I don't really gas for guitars. I'm all about amps.

3. jeremypodom

Same. I've concentrated on getting top-notch players first, seeing as that's what I'm using to make the music. The RK makes me smile, I've been turning heads with it all day.

I'll be upgrading my amp this summer, though. I've come to understand that, IME, 80% or so of your "tone" comes from the amp. So, I'll have two good players that I can plug in to whatever amps I may have in the future.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Hard to justify more than two electric guitars: one to play, one a backup, plus they are very different beasts so I get different tones for recording.

But I also have two acoustics, a classical, and an old bass guitar....

Now I just need two amps!

6. jeremypodom

I wouldn't say it's hard to justify having 3. A strat, tele, and SG are all radically different.

I would say it's hard to justify having more than one of the same kind of guitar, though.

7. ccmace

ccmace TDPRI Member

I feel the same way, unfortunately, every time I think I have "THE TWO", I change my mind, and flip my guitars.
    I'm a victim of the "grass is greener" syndrome!

8. jeremypodom

What causes you to flip, usually?

For me, I wanted something with a thick neck and stainless steel frets. I'm tired of fret wear and constantly having to jack the action up. Hopefully, if I can get my strat refretted, both these two will literally last forever.

9. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Oh, I'd have as many as I felt like having if I could afford it and my wife wouldn't look askance at me (before killing me!). But seeing as she'd look quite askance, and then go for the butcher knife, I'm content with my two.... for now.

I also content myself with modding my guitars. For no good reason I'm busy converting my Esquire to a telecaster with a 4-way switch. It's like getting a new guitar for the price of a pickup and some wiring.

10. KRZ4TELE

KRZ4TELE Tele-Holic

If you gig on a regular basis you need a back-up of everything. So duplication is necessary. It is just not for you but because of the other guys that depend on their guitar player showing up prepared to play gigs every w/e.

11. ccmace

ccmace TDPRI Member

I flip because I can't really tell if I'm in love with it until after a few weeks of playing it. I do have one that I will never sell, my Grosh Retro Classic. I am head over heels about the tone on that one, especially the neck pickup.
    As for a Humbucker guitar, I've tried Gibsons, Epi's, Groshes, Andersons, and PRS. I still haven't found THE one yet.

12. modestglock26

modestglock26 Tele-Meister

13. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

I hope my wife doesn't see this thread......

14. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

To me, guitars (and amps) are like oil colors on a painters palette. Two or three don't come near to covering the basics.

Then start adding amps into the equation and you start hearing more various combinations of tones.

Then start adding in different amp, guitar EQ variations, pickup selection and now the palette has even more color combinations on it.

Then you start adding in different acoustic guitars shapes and sizes and tone woods and other acoustic stringed instruments.....

well, you get the idea.

15. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

For a humbucker guit, check out Heritage, great value especially used.

I wish I could limit myself to 3.

16. ccmace

ccmace TDPRI Member

If guitars and gear are like an artists palette, then I must be Jackson Pollock!

17. ccmace

ccmace TDPRI Member

I definitely want to check out the Heritage. I hear great things about them.

18. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

......:D

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I agree,2-3 covers a lot of ground. Humbuckers and single coil, then an oddball of some sort. Now that the OP mentions it, I gravitate to the same two or three electric guitars.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied

While it's not for me, I can admire a well-curated collection.

21. blues dues

blues dues Tele-Meister

I guess I have about 12 too many then, who knew?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.