Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I teach myself to play stupid old songs on guitars.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:56 PM.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
    'Sweet Betsy From Pike' was the first song I learned on my dad's baritone uke.....I remember the lyric to this day. I guess that would have been around 1968 or thereabouts......

'Oh My Darling Clementine' is another great one. My favourite was one my Gram used to sing to me....'You Are My Sunshine'.....still gets to me.

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I learned today that that song was first recorded in 1931 by none other than Ozzie Nelson, father of Ricky and grandpa of Matthew and Gunnar. Or as we used to call him, Gooner.

- D

3. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    I don’t like to brag but Ive been known to play a pretty mean version of Sweet Betsy From Pike on the cowbell. Maybe we should meet in the recording studio and put out a hit!

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I play a lot of seniors communities. I get requests for these kind of old folk songs all the time. And since my Dad played them on guitar, I grew up hearing them, so it was pretty easy to add them into my performance repertoire when I started playing retirement communities and nursing homes ten years ago. Just a few of the old songs in my repertoire...

Ain't Misbehavin'
    Always
    Blue Moon
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Five Foot Two
    Goodnight, Irene
    Heart and Soul
    Lazybones
    Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
    Red River Valley
    Rocking Chair
    Side by Side
    The White Cliffs of Dover
    Yellow Rose of Texas
    You Are My Sunshine

John Backlund and Cobra1957 like this.
  5. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    and that one

Cobra1957 likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    There's no such thing as stupid old songs, only stupid old singers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.