Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I switched to 11's

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ryan McCall, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    My "Sunday Best" (Duesenberg Starplayer TV) states quite plainly that the nut is cut for 10-50 strings and that using different gauges might cause problems.

I've done a bit of a search and I'm struggling to find sets of 10-50 gauge electric guitar strings available in the UK other than Duesenberg's own (and a set of Ernie ball nickel-wound).

Any views on whether 10 - 52 is likely to be an issue where 10-50 is specified?

2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I switched over to 11s on all my electrics last year and there's no going back. I use V-Picks too, and there's just no slop in the system. Everything feels nice and tight; I can play faster and more precisely. And I can really dig in and whomp the sumbitch when I need to without going out of tune.

Chunkocaster and Piggy Stu like this.

3. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Nope. Not for me. I no longer have the strength in my hands that I had when I was younger. I'll stick with 9-46. I may lose a little tone, but at least I can still bend them.

Evil Funk likes this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

the break angle over the bridge?

5. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I use 11's with a wound third on my Jazzmaster, Jaguar and semi hollows. 10's on the rest of my electrics (some with a wound third). IMHO the wound thirds sound so much better than unwound third strings. Tried a set of 9's once. Felt like overcooked spaghetti to me.

12's on my acoustics. I play more acoustic than electric, BTW.

Age has nothing to do with using 11's. I am 70 years old and have been playing since 1957. Play many hours a day since I retired over 10 years ago.

P Thought likes this.

6. Owensv

Owensv TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2012
    Canton, OH
    I had used 11’s for a couple of years and loved them. Nothing else would give me that tone and sustain. But, after some extensive bending over a few sessions, I thought I would go back to 10’s. What a mistake. I must have developed gorilla hands over that time away from the lighter gauge, because I can’t bend a set of 10’s in tune to save my life now. They feel like rubber bands. It’s back to the heavier set for me. I miss my tone and solid feel.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    String bending isn't a big part of what I do, so as a general rule, 10s on my teles and 12s on my acoustics. Although when it comes to the acoustics, there are two exceptions.

I have a Wechter parlor that's high string/Nashville tuned (NV-5413E). So obviously the strings are different. I use D'Addario EJ38H sets (.010, .014, .009, .012, .018, .027).

I have an acoustic/electric made by Bob Logan that is T-style in shape and dimensions, with a tele neck (rosewood board). On this, I use 11s, the D'Addario EJ26 Custom Light set. I've tried 11s on my dreads and a Breedlove Concert, but prefer the 12s.

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Apr 13, 2014
    Finland
    The first time I ever played a guitar with 11s was about a year ago when I bought my telestrat - and it came with 11-49. I'm loving the sound and the feel.

The thing is, I have no clue how that guitar would sound and feel with something else. The whole guitar is such a total departure, in every way, from what I have used before. The 10-46 strings on my Gibson scale guitar feel a bit wimpy now, though.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I had 11s on a '72 Custom model and loved the tone. It made me decide to stop using 9s... some of my guitars now have 10s, others 11s.
    The whole reason being my ring finger and pinky never completely "woke up" after an operations four years ago. At least with 10s (and certainly with 11s), I can feel the strings...

10. Interesting....I use 10's on all of my guitars - a few came with 9's but been using 10's for more than a few decades. Apparently the '72 Thinline Tele my wife got me last month for my birthday has 9's, and have been thinking I might just stay with that on this one guitar - they feel "just right" on this guitar. Maybe because it's a hardtail? (my Strat and my BMG both came with 9's and both have floating trems...couldn't stand the 9's) I may try a set of 10's on the Tele, but it just feels so good as is, go figure

11. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Try Thomastik 12s. 12-50. Same tension as 11s. Better beefy tone. A lot more time between string changes.

12. ksargent

ksargent TDPRI Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Florida
    I used 11s for years, but recently went to 10s on all of my electrics. This video is an interesting take on string gauges. It covers acoustic sets, but is still relevant, I think. My experience is that the differences between electric sets are even less striking than the ones shown here. YMMV.

13. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2012
    Alabama
    I can't remember using anything but 11's really. I do prefer a 12 for the high E though. So I'll buy a pack of 11's and a single 12.

14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Hey! I'm a vegetarian and I string my tele with 11s (d'addario exl115) :p but I do string my strat trem equipped guitars with 9s. :rolleyes:

Remember! Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! Now let me eat my broccoli and get off my lawn! :mad: ;)

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I think people took my beef and vegetarian metaphor a bit too far. I just meant that 11s are beefy, but a lot of people don't want some big beefy sound

I am kinda surprised anyone seems to have seriously thought I intended to suggest a vegetarian would not like the sound of 11s. It is just an extended metaphor

I would be delighted for everyone apart from me to be vegetarian, so long as I could get all the meat I like

16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    oh don't worry i meant all the sarcasm possible :D No offense taken.

17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Well I used to live in Leeds, so would expect as much from Morley, but some others on here seem to have thought if they eat a vegetable and play 11s they disproved my scientific theorem

Have a pint of tofu on me if we ever meat

Asmith likes this.

18. barfoden

barfoden Tele-Meister

May 30, 2013
    Sweden
    To me, thicker strings gives a "cleaner" sound.
    With more tension you eliminate the sharp attack that soft strings can exhibit. I can't stand 9s on my telecaster. played 10-46s for 20 years.. Good balance between bending and having som tension when strumming open chords.
    We tuned downed to E-flat lately (ease for the singer) and 10-46 was just not cutting the mustard. Switched to 11-49 and very content.
    Jazz guys plays heavier strings.. A jazz telecaster player on youtube, plays 11-49 in standard and 12-54 (plain G) in E-flat. He has compensated bridge saddles to get better intonation especially on the plain G.
    So 10s is considered "slinky" for most jazzers..

Josh Smith (jazz/blues) player has 13-58 (plain 26, yeicks) on his flatter fingerboard tele. In standard tuning... He must have really strong hands.. Billy gibbons plays 7 or 8s I think...

19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Geez, I cant imagine playing 12's on a tele until I switched to 13's on my acoustic, which has a 25.3 inch scale. Now Im thinking of moving up a gauge for my teles.. But Im not sure if I'll like it. I play 13's on acoustic so I can drive the top harder and also give it a nice stiffer feel, like the guitar is fighting back

20. swervinbob

swervinbob TDPRI Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Texas
    I used to play Ernie Ball 10-52 on everything. Now it's D'addario 11-49 on everything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.