Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Swing It to the Left

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Darwin had it pegged.

3fngrs likes this.

2. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Yes. We'll let it go at that. ;)

Frodebro likes this.

3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I learned to drive in Texas and thought that gesture to be pretty darn nice. It was new to me, because people don't do it here if ever. Really surprised me and continues to be a pleasant experience when I visit.

It seems Texas folks get over and let you pass when they know they are slower. Not here in misery.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    We have the big, looping right turn here too.

One time I was driving around with a consultant from the east coast, and he remarked on the farm wagon turn. I told him, "This close to the Mississippi we've got a lot of retired barge drivers." He took me seriously, and wanted to know all about barge driving. :rolleyes:

3fngrs likes this.

5. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    My great grandfather used to say that old folks think they're still driving a horse and buggy. lol

Of course, that was back in the seventies. That excuse doesn't really work these days.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Since this is a thread about right turns...here's mine.

I was in my first week learning to drive a cement truck. I was told repeatedly to spin the tub pretty good going down the highway... but slow it down before you make any tight right turns. I forgot this and did one of the aforementioned left/right maneuvers with the tub still on 10.

There was a car sitting in the oncoming lane as I made my hard right turn beside it and the wheels on the right side of the truck lifted off the road for a second. The look of horror on that old man's face when he realized he was about to be squashed under tons of cement mixer will stay with me for life.

But we made it...with only a minor bowel leakage....both, I'm sure.

3fngrs likes this.

7. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Nah. I think we've hit the point where those less well equipped in that area have an easier time surviving. And, ugh, breeding!

3fngrs likes this.

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I was trying to explain that exact point to a friend the other day.

bluesky1963 likes this.

9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    No. I drive a Honda Prelude.

Of course, I’d trade it for an S-2000 with an aftermarket hardtop.

No wait... I wouldn’t.

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    There was a fad here in Nashville a few years back where the “young folk” thought it was hilarious to purposely signal the opposite of the direction they were actually turning.

No kidding. That was really a thing.

I think it lasted for about a year or so.

11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    Happens all the time here too ! People don’t know how to drive, have no concept of the size of their vehicle and you’re really lucky if they put the turn signal on before they hit the brakes !

12. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    There's no problem here in mid-Wales... we're all stuck behind either a farmer's tractor or someone towing a caravan that's just a bit too big for their car. Either that or trying to avoid the sheep that wander in to the road.

13. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    Sounds like you live just down the road from me.

In my town, the statusmobiles don't have blinkers, pickup trucks are incapable of coming to a complete stop at a stop sign (not that anyone knows how a four way stop works anyway) and, yeah, most cars do the right turns like you're driving a semi.
    And we won't even begin on the new roundabout that was put in a couple of years ago.
    My guess is people think what you learn in drivers ed is no longer needed once you have the actual license.

Oh yeah. That thing about my lawn...

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Drivers can be very annoying but I've yet to see a driver in action more annoying than the "eugenics" angle of some of these posts...o_O

Use your turn signal, don't let your driving impact others, and remember - y'ain't no better than anyone else.

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I get it. My wife and I switch off between an SLK and a 328i wagon. We can't believe how other drivers try to outmaneuver us in their pickups and SUVs. We're in California this weekend. We have a three row SUV to haul around birthday party supplies for my granddaughter and without the overhead view on the dash would have no idea where this thing begins and ends. We can't just not see the corners, we can't see the roadway outside the driver's side window. When I grew up, you could haul a piece of plywood flat behind the driver's bench in your wagon. We're headed back in that direction size wise with no good reason for it. But remember, no one attempted to cut a corner in 1963. And there were fewer cars on the road to bully out of the way. Hi

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.