Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Swing It to the Left

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I've always figured those are all "deluxe models" for golfers.

Jimmy Owen likes this.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Happens up here too. When did this stupidity start? Do they even have driving tests anymore?

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The mate to this is when people turn and directly go into the left lane, instead of always turning into the right lane.

boris bubbanov and Jimmy Owen like this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Actually, no...at least no "driving instruction". I once asked, in frustration, a young dude I worked with, "Who taught you how to drive???!!!!. He PROUDLY replied, "Nobody....I taught myself."

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Sounds like a political statement. Or else, TMI. Either way, it doesn't sound like appropriate discussion fare for TDPRI. :twisted:;)

6. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    The one move (or lack of) that REALLY bugs me is when someone is in the right lane wanting to make a right turn. Some of them absolutely refuse to move over into the shoulder before turning so the traffic behind them can keep going. Now if there is something/someone in the shoulder at the time, I can completely understand. But 99% of the time, the shoulder is clear.

Inconsiderate as all hell!! :mad::mad::mad:

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Lots of diplomats here.

The truth is, most guys here drive vehicles that are far larger than they have need for, aside from that hypothetical arrival of visitors from afar who consent to ride with us. Oh, yeah, that appliance you delivered to your own home in 2002. It has been that long.

The "set up" isn't a problem for the other guy, if folks are driving a Honda Fit. But you're not driving one, are you.

I don't think a fellow has "standing" to complain until he goes back down to a vehicle of the appropriate size. No other whiners need apply, with all due respect.

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I see people in tiny cars do the same crap.

1. An awful lot people don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. I'd be willing to bet that the people who swing wide and block traffic are the same cretins who won't take their shopping cart to the cart corral.

2. People cut their corners too soon. If you don't start to turn until you're halfway across the lane you're turning into you can turn a full sized, longbed pickup truck into your lane without swinging the opposite way first. I know, I do it all of the time.

3. Too many people are filthy pigs who think the world revolves around them. Too many, but far from most. I see more people driving well and putting their shopping carts away but I notice the vile A-holes because they stand out.

4. There's lots of selfish jerk offs who need pummeled because they drive inconsiderately and leave their shopping carts in the parking lot. I guessing that there is probably a correlation.

9. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    I see the cutting of corners (when you are at a light or stop sign and they are coming from the opposite direction) more now, where they almost hit you coming into your lane as they are turning. But I won't disagree that the taking up of too much space to impede others is right in line with driver behavior these days.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Respectfully, I seldom do see that.

People in a large SUV have no qualms about pulling out in front of the big truck, because they still expect to survive if the truck can't stop. The person in the small car drives differently, when it matters, because the human nervous system looks at the "incoming" and decides one's life is in the balance.

And small cars are so easy to drive halfway well. Even when they don't execute anywhere near as well as they could, the inputs the average guy gives the car results in a crisp, clean result. This is just like playing a guitar with a proper setup - everything is just that much easier, for anybody. I find that even the dullest person in a small car is much easier to work around. The bonus is, I don't have to worry so much about them putting me in Intensive Care. Their mistakes are so much less likely to harm or kill me.

IF you're to make a successful "case" for the larger types of vehicles, I suggest you not only need to demonstrate that the drivers of both, with equal indifferent intentions towards their fellow drivers, represent an equivalent risk to the rest of us. You need to show they're appreciably more likely to be driven really badly. There's no way you can make that type of claim stick. IF all drivers are equal as they present to the rest of us, then the biggest vehicles are still the greatest menace by far. And. I think most folks here would agree that basic self preservation impulses appear strongest with the smallest cars, and weakest in the biggest battleships, I think even your suggestion "they're the same" is debunked.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I just plain don't understand it. There's no benefit to it...???

And there is absolutely no "profile" for folks who do it...

Bones and 3fngrs like this.

12. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    With all respect, bull! I have observed piss poor and inconsiderate driving by people in every type of vehicle. It may be a 19 year old girl in her Honda, texting while driving; a doctor in his suburban who lives in the suburbs, an urban type in his low rider, a house wife in her mini van...

I do agree that there are a lot of people driving those XXL SUV that have never taken the time to learn to operate them properly. The type that probably think they are indestructible even though they haven't learned to turn the damn things. I'll give you that.

On the other hand, for everyone of those there is a punk in a "hotrodded" little car who thinks he's "Fast and Furious". And a teenage girl texting while driving and never looking through the windshield*. And a middle aged guy in a sports car trying to not be old. And...

Poor behavior and lack of respect for others is the problem. I think you may be experiencing a bit of confirmation bias. Again, with all respect and courtesy to you.

*a friend recently told me that he was driving down the street (in his pickup:)) when some girl in a little Toyota come blasting down road in his lane, texting away. He tooted his horn and he said as soon as her head came up she gave him the finger as he was driving off the road to avoid a head on!

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^ A-holes in all vehicles though, according to a buddy who insists on barely driving the speed limit in the left lane, "it's always pickup trucks who come up behind me fast and then tailgate until I get over ! Truck guys are aggressive jerks !"

As the driver of an F150, I said "No...you're not right about the 'always' part..."

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I drive a large truck for work. Sometimes, though, I find myself making the cut for a turn a bit later than necessary in my personal vehicles out of habit.

But what gets me is when I have to navigate a tight right turn in the work truck, and people behind me don't understand that I have to take it wide and drift to the left before cutting to the right. It ain't your Honda, you little weasel. It won't make the corner without first swinging wide to the left. Quit honking, or I'll back over your hood before continuing on my merry way.

P Thought, william tele and 3fngrs like this.

15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Obviously, I realize real trucks (not pickups), and those pulling a trailer, do need to swing opposite of their turn.

16. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You'd be surprised at how many people don't get it. Most likely the same people that think that they can cut in front of a large truck and then jam on their brakes without the risk of getting bounced across town when it can't stop in time.

17. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm seriously starting to believe that the survival gene is starting to disappear in this country.

18. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    It's being phased out by the notion that we are somehow obligated to protect people from their own stupidity. Too many regulations designed to replace common sense. As a buddy of mine loves to say, "Stupid cavemen wound up getting eaten by dinosaurs, smart cavemen survived and sired smart cave babies." And yes, he's aware that man wasn't around during the dinosaur era, but it's just funnier that way.

3fngrs likes this.

19. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I's not limited to the USA, we get them here in Australia, signal right then swing left before turning right. No sense to it because, in a car, it makes right turns even harder. We also have the corner cutters, the ones who go diagonally across a turn instead of staying in their lane. They are especially dangerous on single lane roads, the number of times I have approached an inresection to have someone come cutting across the corner nearly collecting me is beyond counting. Then there are the ones who cannot figure out that when a sign says 50 it means 50 not 40; the ones who have not figured out that the indicator is meant for indicating; the ones who .............. the list is endless. Why can't everyone drive just like me.

3fngrs likes this.

20. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    We could have quite a conversation but we'd best stop here or we'll likely be banned. Let's just say that this country is negating survival of the fittest and...that's it.

Frodebro likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.