Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I Swing It to the Left

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Then, I make my right-hand turn. What is up with these peoples? Did they all graduate from Big Bob Bumpkins over the road trucking school? Or are these soccer moms who have no idea whee their SUV ends?

I'm seeing it more and more every day, the right blinker comes on (it's a miracle!), the brake lights illuminate and then the big swing to the left, almost stopping dead in the road and THEN the right hand turn.

Maybe they just don't want people passing them as they make their turn? I don't know but it seems like a relatively new "thing" here.

voodoostation, Felino, Dan R and 5 others like this.

2. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    It's a real problem here. I routinely have to hug the outside of the left lane near an entrance to a supermarket as I am almost hit by this particular maneuver every day on my way home from work. No one going to that supermarket loads their groceries into a trailer.

3. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I see it all of the time. I think they have a death wish.

nojazzhere likes this.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    We have a relatively new maneuver here that is guaranteed to eventually cause a big pileup. A car sitting in the inside left turn light on a six lane street, will suddenly pull out of the left turn lane, dash the second left turn lane, then across all three on ongoing lanes and turn right! Of course conditions have to right to do this maneuver, but after witnessing it a few times, it's something I watch for now.

Lake Placid Blue and nojazzhere like this.

5. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Yep, happens quite a bit here, too. It also gets me at how wide their turns are anymore. Seems like whenever someone makes a turn in my subdivision the on-coming traffic has to stop dead because the person turning is taking up the whole road.

6. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    We used to call that a Bat Turn.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    To be honest, I have to guard a little against doing that swing wide thing because I did drive a diesel semi for many years, and old habits die hard. One time when we were playing in a tournament my old pal Roger teased me because I swung wide in a golf cart when I was turning right.

8. Togman

Togman Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Whoa. You have vehicles with blinkers in the States? My little Honda has them fitted (and they work), but they appear to be an (unaffordable) optional extra on the larger BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Range Rover models.

9. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    With one hand on the steering wheel , and one hand holding their cell-phone to the ear -
    they simply can not use the turn signal indicator .

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Not here.

No (zero/zip/zilch) mass transit since the 50's.

So, everything is a car trip.

Most 10 yr olds can drive.

The biggest thing are speed discrepancies.

We all go like bats out of hell, stay out of each other's way but if you really want to cause trouble ?

Drive the speed limit.

Not cool/barely tolerated.

The earthy/crunchy Super-Mom down the street ?

She drives so fast hauling her kids around it scares me :eek: and I'm a notorious lead foot.

Good luck with your wide swingers...

drf64, thegeezer and fendertx like this.

11. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    It's just as bad when they swing right to turn and block you from slipping through to make your right hand turn.

12. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    It's rampant in Houston as well. I used to really detest people who while turning left, feel the need to cut across the right lane of perpenduclar traffic (does that make sense :confused:)
    The wide swingers have replaced them.

Nubs and Bones like this.

13. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Ehh, unless it's cart path only, anything goes in a golf cart!

Toto'sDad likes this.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Sorry...have to correct you....that's, "one hand holding a cell phone, and one hand holding a Starbucks coffee cup, and the steering wheel by their...uh...I guess?...ok, nevermind.

thegeezer and tery like this.

15. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Knees.

moosie, thegeezer, tery and 1 other person like this.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    We can only hope!

17. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Yes, I see the wide turns here all the time. With and without signals. I don’t understand it. I’ve seen so much bad driving that I’ve almost wanted to give up driving myself in self defense. But there’s even more risk for a pedestrian.

nojazzhere likes this.

18. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I recall a stunt by some college students (I think it was in Indianapolis) where they deliberately drove the speed limit in all lanes and taped the results. It proved nearly all the axioms of traffic engineering, and not in a good way.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    The speed limit should only be for those in the first 20 years after receiving their license.

After that?

Well, after that, most people are so hemmed in and worn down by life that they’re just trying to get to wherever the hell it is they’re going !

(And the effects of testosterdumb has started wearing down on men by that point (35-ish yrs old)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.