Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I spent 2 1/2 hours at the DMV today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Dec 6, 2017.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    After 12 years I had to go get my license renewed at the DMV today. You get two 6 year runs doing it online and then you have to show up to convince them you are you. The process is very simple.

log in on a kiosk at the front and get a number based on what you are there for. I got #S3303. You then go in to one of two waiting rooms and look at a screen which calls the numbers and assigns the window you go to (1 - 38).

When I sat down I looked at the screen and they were up to #S3140. Simple math clued me in there would be a wait. However there were other reasons for folks being there and each had its own numbering system, so there were S,C,D and R all being called and all ending up funneling into windows 1 - 38.

About 2 minutes in a lady calls out that the computers were down and they didn't know how long it would be. Fortunately 5 or 6 people gave up so I got a seat, but apparently everyone else was committed to staying.

2 hours 20 minutes later my number showed up. I wanted to yell Bingo but just got up like everyone before me and headed to my assigned window 8. I was asked to show proof of who I was (my old license was sufficient). They took my thumb prints, took my picture asked me to read 10 letters off line 5 (I closed my weak eye and made it through without glasses once more). They took my $33 and sent me packing. That part took maybe 5 minutes.

I think waiting at the DMV is like child birth for women. If enough time goes by you forget how painful it is. Watch out Houston, I'm driving for 6 more years possibly 12 and no restrictions. Get off my road.

2. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    Which office did you use, I'm due in 2020! :eek::)

3. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    the only way it would compare to child birth is if she reached across the counter grabbed your bottom lip and stretched it over your forehead , while talking and laughing at you in a demonic voice !

wait ....she did that , right?

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I need to do that this month. Online renewal is only 5 years here.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I had to do that in Florida but they wanted an authenticated birth certificate and one or two other articles to confirm you are you.
    Of course I'm me. I've been me all my life... born and raised in Central Louisiana (but fortunately I escaped).
    My daughter and I spent two and half hours at the DMV transferring car titles last summer. When you're my age you can't afford to spend that much time waiting...LOL

6. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    a) (why do you have to get fingerprinted)

b) wouldn't it be nice if you could be allowed to drive an hour away, and go to a more "small-town" DMV of your choice...... the 2 hours driving would have to be more pleasant than the 2 hours waiting around

7. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    That’s a normal wait at a So Cal DMV.

8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I just did my renewal on-line, I feel like I missed something. :D

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    That process normally takes me 15 minutes where I live.

I just renewed license tags for three cars. It took 10 minutes.

Ohio used to have tags expire at the end of the month - now they expire on your birthday. It makes the lines a lot shorter.

Living in a small city does have some benefits as well - lines are never long.

Teleterr and mnutz like this.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    We have one new DMV office here in Ft Worth, you can get IN LINE ONLINE. That way you can plan your arrival close to expected appointment time. If you run late, there's some way to delay the appointment. Just renewed this month online, don't expire 'til 2023...probably have to go down then, if I'm still alive and/or driving.

teletimetx likes this.

11. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    It could take that long(2 1/2hrs) at the closest one to my house, but I can take an hour lunch break at work to get my business done three counties away! And that includes the 24 mile round trip.

12. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    one word... appointment

rich815 likes this.

13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    No appointments. It is the busiest office in town (38 windows). They allow you to go two 6 year cycles without a personal appearance, all online.

Gessner. I've heard that it is faster to drive to the Richmond office off Hwy 36. Should have.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Only my wife's car doesn't have permanent plates, which saves tons of time and hassles from my California days. Driver's license stuff is kind of a joke here too. Uh, yeah, if you want a DL, come up here. It is probably part of the reason why some people end up driving down the wrong side of the freeways.:rolleyes:

15. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    We don't have windows. Walk in, do it, walk out. Prints? Hell no.

william tele likes this.

16. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    My DMV has never taken too long (and I rarely have to go) but the last time I went to renew they put me in the line for a new photo, and I waited 20 minutes. No prob. Got up there, and the person said "Oh, you just go to the machine over there... you didn't have to wait in line for a new photo." Then I go to the machine, and it tells me I need a new photo, so I go to Info and they said they should have taken my photo in the first place. Another 20 minute wait and a person is like "Why did you go to the machine? You need a new photo because it's been #years..." HAHAHAH WTF YOSSARIAN HAHAHAH I MEAN THESE PEOPLE ARE LIKE 50 FEET FROM EACH OTHER!

It was still less than an hour though and there was no permanent psychological damage. SSSSSSNERP-EEEUUUUWANG!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    nojazzhere and Obsessed like this.

17. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Years and years ago here everybody’s license plate expired on March 31. I’m not a procrastinator, but my wife is, so more than once I got to stand in line OUTSIDE for hours, waiting to get in on that day. That would have been the day my sweetie suddenly remembered her tag was gonna expire & she had to work or whatever while all I had going on was something minor, like sleep after a swing shift. It was an incredible event, for a non-procrastinator.

Our place is now pretty quick, and we do what we can via the mail. And yes, Mrs Stubee gets irked when I point to the application laying on the table for several weeks and say “isn’t it time to get that done”?

18. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2014
    LA Southbay
    After the last couple renewals done on-line, finally had to go to the DMV to take the written test. Made appointment, on-line, a couple weeks ago. Showed up today, and, 90 minutes later was out of there. Pays to schedule appointment. The line for those that did not was probably a 10-15 minutes just to get a number. The line for "Appointments" was "0" waiting for a number. After getting a number, I was called 10 minutes before my appointment time.

19. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Silver Supporter

Jan 1, 2013
    New Jersey
    Last time I renewed, took me less than an hour. Yesterday had to inspect a car I bought, go into office and return old plates, total time...30 min.

20. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    My last time there was the worst, by far. Had just purchased a car in another state. Had the required special form for that in hand. A form they require, a form the dealership routinely gives out to buyers from my state, never a problem. They tell me the form has to come directly from the dealership. Can't trust me, or the form I have. Two visits, hours later, (close to holiday weekend, so dealer swamped and frankly incredulous they have to do this), I get it done.

That's when they tell me my name is wrong, based on what they see on the new car paperwork. My license ID does not have my middle initial. It once did. DMV themselves changed it years ago when I moved into this state. Most other papers and ID for me does have this ID. So now they're telling me I am illegal. Not just a mistake, their mistake. But I am illegal. I bring every document I have, including passport, copy of original birth certificate. No dice. They won't register my car, now they're telling me my license is not valid. It made no sense. (Remembering more ... my birth certificate copy was old enough so the raised stamp was hard to feel. NG. And the passport was expired, which used to be OK.)

Two visits later, I'm finally talking with the head guy. Tell him you caused this, not me. And now And now I have to go to extraordinary lengths, waste time I don't have. Take a day off work, go get another birth certificate copy. Without a car. Luckily, he's been there since the seventies. Says "it was our own recent policy change, for national security reasons, that is creating this problem. I can't shut down your life for a problem we created."

Saved by one decent man. Imagine how many innocent souls get caught up in this nightmare agency, have their lives disrupted, damaged. I was lucky.
    MD

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.