Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I smoked wife took my new Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cobalt6300, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! Many thanks! I'll take a look at that a little later on today.:cool:

My wife has also piled on the pounds - worryingly so - and I've been looking for something we could do together so that we can both benefit together,

She doesn't play guitar so I can't give HER the incentive of a nice Tele once she's lost some weight, but maybe I could buy another one for myself and dedicate it to her!...:lol:

2. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    I'll go along with that as long as those of us who made lifestyle choices long ago that benefitted us can get CS Teles right away. There's a cumulative effect that should be rewarded. Yes?

Or perhpas the health insurance companies could "rate" the insured based on their lifestyle choices. Those who smoke get to pay more in premiums. Those who don't get to pay less. Then when the smokers quit, after 6 months, their premium goes down. They can use the savings to buy their own tele. The longer they quit, the more they save. Then after they save whatever amount they want, they can spend it on their own tele. Those who didn't smoke have already saved enough money and have been playing thier tele months earlier.

3. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2011
    Portland, Maine

Yer a bloody arse!
    :rolleyes:

The GF and I quit New Year's. Again.

4. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    You could call it the "BellyTele"!:lol:

5. Fatmanstratman

LOL! :lol:

Or - hopefully - the "NoBellyTele"...:lol::lol::lol:

6. Tele Jack

Tele Jack Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Telepi. I think insurance companies (or some of them) already give premium cuts to non smokers. A few years ago I demonstrated 2 years of non smoking and my premiums fell. I have not taken up smoking since.

Don't forget there are benefits to non smokers if smokers give up. If there are fewer insurance claims and fewer payouts, and if the market is price competitive, insurance companies will reduce premiums for everybody. If there is less illness, the demand for health services will fall, reducing prices in that market, so doctor's and hospital bills will be smaller, or less prone to rise, or there will be fewer doctor shortages. In countries where there is public health insurance, sickness would make fewer demands on the public purse. There would be fewer work days lost to illness. So non smokers need to encourage smokers and other people with addiction to give up, if necessary by providing incentives.

A lot of addictive behaviour is not rational. It is impulsive and emotional. It has to do with immediate gratification of desires. Long term rational life planning does not necessarily come into it (in the mind of the addicted person). So, so by offering more immediate rewards for shorter periods of reformed behaviour is a good way forward, for some people at least.

7. Fatmanstratman

So - what you're saying is that being a fat b*st*rd isn't totally my fault?...;)

Oh, BTW - I'm looking at my Telecaster as I'm typing this....

8. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    I guess I could give up cheese curls if I got a tele in return.

9. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

LOL

10. Tele Jack

Tele Jack Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Fatstratman. It may be partly your fault, or it could be somebody else's. Who knows? But I think the issue of personal fault and personal responsibility is only part of it. If we focus only on personal responsibility, it can obscure valuable techniques for improvement. My dad, before he died, used to say hoe your own row and lend others a hand with theirs.

Einstein used to say that a problem cannot necessarily be solved by the means that created it.

Not everybody is as strong or as able as ourselves, if the problem is with an individual, help from another person who provides an incentive can be valuable. And it can be structured in a way that strengthens the individual to help themselves next time. Getting strong takes practice and some people need a coach.

If you are thinking about your prospective tele (or in my case a jag) instead of thinking about lunch, you are replacing some unhealthy desires with a healthy one. Now, instead of getting stuck into the cheese curls, I am going to go and practice on my tele for an hour.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    FMSM, just tell your wife that you're going to buy a new guitar every month that you lose more weight than she does.

12. Fatmanstratman

Any thoughts on the most likely way to successfully maintain weight loss?

Is it better to join one of these clubs where you have to check in weekly (so everybody SEES if you've been good or bad), or maybe better to just exercise self control, restraint and self discipline?

I suppose if you're making a lifestyle-changing affirmation either would be good?

A bit like being disciplined enough to make time to pick up your Telecaster and practice....:neutral:

13. cobalt6300

cobalt6300 Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2012
    texas
    Still no smoking for me, but I have added 3-4 lbs of body weight...food tastes pretty darn good these days I have to say!

14. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Better start running before you gain so much your knees can't carry you!

15. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2009
    Mount Pearl NL
    Save your money, quit smoking!

Less smoking = more Tele's

Need I say more?

J5

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

16. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

Lif is better without smokes. I was in a "do" last week and was sat next to a smoker who went out every few minutes for a smoke. When he came back and made conversation at close range because of the music ...his breath smelt just like a sewer! I almost threw up. Spent the night trying to avoid his putrid breath. How guys like that ever get wimin is beyond me

17. xagyg

xagyg Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Oct 26, 2010
    Australia
    Please stop smoking your wife. :eek:

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I can go to bed now knowing that when I wake up this will be an Epic Thread.

19. JustinR

JustinR TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Boston, MA, US
    I am currently trying to think of how to leverage the fact I just quit with the Les Paul trad pro I want to buy. Wife may smoke me if I can't find a reasonable explanation after buying two teles in the last couple of months. #499

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    Justification for Telefication!

Just do the math!
    I did the math after 6 years of being tobacco free(2 years ago)- this is what I figure I had saved...
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.