Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I returned the VOX Super Beetle in favor of a Marshall

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by studio1087, Oct 8, 2018.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Apologies in advance for the melodrama.

The Super Beetle sounded as good as I said it sounded.....but it developed a low volume running crackle. The crackle did not increase in volume when you turned the guitar up. When you turned the guitar up the guitar got louder and the guitar sounded great but there was always a gentle “crackle.......crack crack.......crackle.” I tried the amp in several rooms and the crackle was there. I carried a Pro Junior to the same rooms and it was dead quiet. I have Furman Power Conditioner in my mixer rack and I plugged the VOX into the power conditioner.....crackle crackle. I plugged in the Pro Junior.....dead quiet.

When I moved the VOX from room I started to get paranoid because the head weighs about a pound. The power supply is like a laptop power supply. I started worrying about the longevity of the thing and if it could be repaired or it was more of cute throw away. It was almost $300. Then I thought that I wouldn’t throw it in my trunk and take it places as it was too adorable and fragile. I take Pathfinder 15R’s were ever I want and they’re indestructible.

I did an about face and it started with the crackle. That one thing started a worry spiral and again....$300. It was second time that I’ve returned something at GC. It took a minute. They didn’t even look the amp over. It was painless.

I’ve had a red Marshall Class 5 Combo and a Class 5 Head and C110 Cabinet on Craigslist. The Combo sold and I started thinking that a gigworthy Marshall Combo would be nice as I’m getting rid of 2 Marshall’s that aren’t really gig machines.

The DSL 20C Combo is $600. Cascio Music had a Today-only 20% Flash sale. I called Al at Cascio. He had 3 of them and he verified the $480 (today). I like the DSL’s. I have the 15 watt head.

A voice in my head said “get the real amp that you can gig with - you have 325 easy dollars, don’t pee it away”.

The Marshall is EL 38 powered, has two channels, it will power 1 or 2 16ohm lines or 1 8ohm. It has a Celestion 70/80 (it’s ok). It has Reverb and the channel footswitch turns the effects loop on and off. It has 3 band EQ plus presence plus resonance.

It sounds like spanky clean Marshall or a gainy Marshall. 36 pounds.

I think this was a wiser long term investment. We don’t have a show until Halloween but I’m taking it out on Halloween.

Geez. Again, sorry about the silliness. “I love the VOX....I hate the VOX”.....live and learn. I feel like a dingbat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

troy2003, nojazzhere, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I have and like the MV50 Clean as a backup/practice piece, but I feel the same way. No way that thing hangs in for the long run.

studio1087 and paratus like this.
  3. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    I think the beetle is assumed to be more of a decorative thing, it's basically furniture. Vox says that in their own product blurb

As far as the DCL
    Glad u found a better way to spend your money

tery, ponce and studio1087 like this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    As I was buying my Original 20C last week, I looked over and saw the Mini Super Beetle. I kinda wanted to give it a try. But, I knew the Marshall was what I wanted. Glad you got an amp you like!

studio1087 and gridlock like this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Congrats, I’ve been a Marshall guy since a kid in high school.
    Can’t go wrong with a Marshall and especially at a great price.
    Enjoy.

studio1087 likes this.
  6. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Hey, a guy is allowed to change his mind!

Congrats on the DSL20c. The other guitarist in my band has the 20c and the 40c and they both sound great. I tried a 20 GC and thought was way too bright. But I hear one regularly in rehearsals and gigs and it sounds great. I must have tried a dud. You’ll probably love the thing. That Vox seems more like a toy to me.

studio1087 likes this.
  7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I missed the Vox dramas BUT i do wonder why the 20c is necessary given you have the 15 already?

( I have the DSL5c and a Class 5 so im interested in the reasoning...given I feel compelled to go to the highly rated 40c even thought the 5c is PLENTY loud enough for my use)

studio1087 likes this.
  8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    My mother used to say, "That's why a woman's mind is cleaner. THey're always changing it."

I'm not sayin' @studio1087's studio is any cleaner than the rest of ours... But, it don't preclude one of us from making a different decision every now and again!

markal and studio1087 like this.
  9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Don’t worry, at least you made up for it by immediately buying another amp — you’re forgiven. :D

studio1087 likes this.
  10. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    I tried a Super Beetle last week at GC. It sounded pretty good, but just had a toy like feel. The on/off switch was kind of odd too. Almost like an afterthought on where to put it. And it was the smallest switch I've ever seen.

I need to try the DSL 20C on my next visit. Hope you enjoy yours.

studio1087 likes this.
  11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Good move - I've noticed a trend with the cute Vox amps also .

studio1087 likes this.
  12. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Nice one... and you bought British, too. Most kind of you, sir!

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Well, you know how I feel about Marshalls, so congrats!!

And extra points for use of the word “dingbat”. Highly fun and under utilized bit of vocabulary, that one.

14. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why go for the combo when you already have the 15w head and a cab? Seems like a missed opportunity for a different flavor. Happy new amp day nonetheless.

studio1087 likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    The answer is because I like the sound and I can move the combo without hurting myself. I’m 54, I’ve had back surgery and lifting the 2 x 12 cabinet and carrying it out of our basement and placing it in the trunk of my Passat for a gig in a small bar is ridiculous. For me it’s like moving a a big arm chair to my car to use for 4 hours and then hauling it back home and into the basement again. The combo is grab and go stuff in size and weight. I enjoy the big cabinet at home but I won’t be moving it in the car weekly.

Anyway, that’s why. Old fart, newly repaired back, wants to ski again, isn’t carrying the big cabinet here and there when we mic up anyway. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    troy2003 and Cazualwhiteguy like this.
  16. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    Nice! Looks like the 20c only weighs 36 pounds? That's amazing.

I think this thread needs a Johan Segeborn vid

studio1087 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Nice purchase !

I need to A/B that and the Origin 20 together. Origin wins on weight being 5 lbs lighter but the DSL wins on price.

I need a Marshall (and I need 20-25 watts max so the 40 or 50 are out).

That Segeborn video is actually really good and a model on how to demo an amp (twiddle knobs and play !)

18. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I think you misunderstand my post.

Do you hear much difference in sound between the 15 and the 20?

and how would you compare the 20 to the class 5?

I find the dsl5c to be a more modern type sound than that of the Class 5. I was hoping to sell one of them but they have a different sound and I like both.

But I like the idea of the 20 for gigging (either of the 5's are marginally suitable/not quite suitable volume and clarity wise).

19. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Then my mind is often squeaky clean!

Love that quote.

Axis29 likes this.
  20. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I own 2 MV50’s - the Clean and the AC. They sound great, and I see no reason to believe that they will stop working any time sooner than any other amp. I use them for rehearsals, jams and gigs. All good. My favorite is the Clean because I am a pedal guy.

Are they repairable, maybe not - too soon to tell if techs will learn them.

It’s a shame that your SB was apparently defective. As for your paranoia, you should see someone about that :) I’m sure you will enjoy the Marshall, so in the end none of this matters.

dswo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.