Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I REALLY want this '66 Vibrolux, but...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by charlie chitlin, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Thank you. Oh this is funny, I own a 68 Vibrolux Reverb Reissue I traded a Hot Rod to someone with a little cash to get. Of course it is a silver face. I really like it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

2. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    If it were a Woodward Schumacher transformer, from 1960, the Fender part number would be 125P26A. The J022723 part number would come later, after the CBS takeover; maybe mid 1966.

schmee and Wally like this.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Re: “60’s slim taper” neck. The narrow necks that were introduced in late ‘65-early’66 are not what is known as the slim taper neck. ‘Slim taper’ necks are not narrow but rather are shallower....not as thick from front to back but still with something like 1 11/16” width.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^And there are plenty of necks in that time period that feel like they took a '60 or '61 neck and made it both narrower in width and shallower in depth from the nut to about the 4th fret or so - and left the rest alone (full, round substantial)

That was my friend's '66 335 and some others I've played. Like they were full-size necks and they got a memo and altered them.

Hell, I had a Townshend-ish '69 SG Special that was exactly like that too.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I had a '69 Special too, it's neck was thin up by the nut, but by the 12th fret it was like a baseball bat. It just seemed weird. I let it go 'cause it was the wrong color (Walnut), thinking easy come easy go, one in the right color will come along soon enough. Of course that was right before prices on Juniors and Specials exploded. Even now that prices have corrected somewhat, I'll never be able to afford that red Special now.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Mike Eskimo likes this.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^^^Exactly my feeling about that neck contour.*

I still know where the one I had is - and it's in the closet of some civilians who do not play guitar along with a 50's GA 5, a faded TV Les Paul Special double cut from the early 2000's and a partially completed 5E3. Hmmmmmm....

* when I got fussy or complained too much about how cramped it could get near the nut I would watch late 60's clips of Townshend with his looooog fingers and call myself a baby.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.