Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

I REALLY want this '66 Vibrolux, but...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by charlie chitlin, Jun 11, 2018.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa

2. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2010
    Newark, NY
    I don't see Many physical issues from the pics you posted. Sure the PT has some rust which could be damp storage area or it has seen some heat and needs to be replaced BUT if the price is right whats stoppin ya?

3. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    It all depends on what you want to pay for a '66 Vibrolux Reverb with a replaced power transformer; which is a 1970 part. Be aware the original 1966 power transformer uses a GZ34 rectifier where the 1970 model uses a 5U4GB.

Wally likes this.

4. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    It was a potential swap for a nice '69 ES330.
    I'd probably go straight across if the VR were original, but nowadays these things have such an impact on value...It probably wouldn't be a good swap.

5. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    IMO Keep the guitar

LudwigvonBirk and Wally like this.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Depends on the rest. A 66 VR is still a 66 VR.

It's not like it's been hackbutchered. The tranny is still 48 years old. Usually 48 yo Trannies aren't attractive anyway.....:lol:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    rich815 likes this.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    If you must have the BF, you want it collectible, IMO. That's why the higher price. Wait for one with the correct parts.

If you just want the amp to play, keep the guitar and go look for a SFVR. It won't cost you the whole guitar, for sure. Maybe just a headstock... :rolleyes:

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    I would not do it .

Wally likes this.

9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    No..
    If it was a budget buy then yes, but the 330 is such a fun guitar, I wouldn’t unless it has issues (Hsb, poor refin, many changed parts etc.) or you have two ;-)

I will second looking out for a nice playable SF

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Tiny hands ?

Keep the 330. (If the 330 has a full 1 11/16th nut - keep it it and never let it go. You have amps...)

Ability to play waaaaaaay louder than I'm able to ?

Get the VR.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Sometimes I just have to go with my emotions and damn the collector market.
    Thing about BF Fenders with top collector value is that (among other things) the speakers are so essential and so ephemeral that they must for my purposes not be collector pieces if I'm going to use them.
    Sure you can box up the original speakers, but.
    Maybe I'm not familiar enough with vintage replacement VR speakers, and/ or just unsure I could get sounds I want from a VR without the only Fender speaker I like in a BF circuit which probably wasn't in the '66 VR anyhow; the CTS ten.
    I guess I'd use a pair of Celestion Golds, but here again this is my perspective, not yours or a player who wants BF Fender tone. While I love that front panel on a BF, I'd still choose SF to buy/ own/ use. Not selling my BF Bassman though, too cheap.
    What is a BFVR really worth these days?
    Are they holding their value for say the next decade?
    And is it an amp you very specifically want?
    I'd want it for its fatter more middy tone compared to typical BF tone.
    And I don't want a 330, but if I did I would, and they cost more than a SFVR.

IDK maybe you have some special karma that lets you gig collector holy grail type gear in safety, or maybe it's your care in handling and your posse of watchers that keeps it all safe.

12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Imho, if the Es-330 is all-original and in very good or better condition it is worth more than a non-original BFVR.....and the VR is my favorite BF/SF amp. Fwiw, a ‘66 VR has the “BF” 1964 circuit. It changed in the summer of 1968. Charlie, if I had that BFVR and you wanted to trade an all-original ‘69 ES-330 for it; I would make that deal before you changed your mind!! Yes, that guitar has a narrow neck, but it is a round neck. I am 6’5” with other than small hands. I have owned a 1966 ES-345 since I bought it new 51 years ago this month....maybe this week?? I have no trouble playing that guitar or any other narrow neck...as long as it has a round profile. The narrow neck Gibson’s went to a shallower profile in the early ‘70’s, and I don’t care for those.

13. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    No such luck. 60s slim taper. I don't mind that, actually, but the wider nut would make it more desireable.
    I jumped on this 330 because I had one years ago that I never bonded with. I chalked it up to the fact that I was 1/10 the player I am now...and SURELY, knowing what I know now, I would HAVE to dig a sweet 330, right?
    It still doesn't float my boat.
    But I've been in a serious solid body phase for awhile now.
    And I got it in trade for a 67 335 that had pickups to die for...but the clumsiest, ugliest burst I've ever seen.
    Well...I love playing it clean but, for some reason, when I crank it up and want it to do THAT THING...it doesn't deliver the groceries.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    A buddy (a real buddy) lent me his '66 335 for 2 years because he wasn't playing it.

Those Pat # pickups ? Best humbuckers I've ever heard.

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    When I trade I leave a mild value window based on percentages in my head. I just made a trade for a roughly 3k guitar one could argue $500 in the other guys favor, if not more but asking & selling prices for identical stuff these days can have considerably different price points.

So, yeah, I trade based on desire/need. If I'm not playing/using item A I'm willing to take a hit to get an inspiring item B.

Add me to the list of guys who love those late 60's necks.

16. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Yup.

17. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Looks like a nice amp but no way trade for a ES330. The 330's worth more.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

18. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Shouldn't a '70 transformer read: 606-0-10, or 606 010, or 606-010 not 606010? Usually plastic wire cover too...? maybe it's a '60 tranny?

19. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    What is an SFVR? I don't know all the acronyms.

20. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Silver Face Vibrolux Reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.